SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone work at a bank who can answer this question
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone work at a bank who can answer this question Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
I do some electronic transfer/payments as appropriate.

Let me ask how many forum members have stood in long lines behind peckerheads who insist on paying for a .65 cent cup of coffee with a @#$@#$#@ debit or credit card?

*They always mumble to the poor clerk, "Darn, I wish I could remember my pin number"...

I want to know where you can get a cup of coffee for 65 cents.

But even if it was just 65 cents, it'll take the same amount of time between cash and card. With cash, the cashier will have to put the cash in the till then count out the change. In the same amount of time, I can swipe the card and be done. I don't have to sign as it's under some amount. It's even faster if I use my phone to pay versus sticking in a chip card.

I've seen people take their time counting out the cash to pay especially when it involves coins.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:

Let me ask how many forum members have stood in long lines behind peckerheads who insist on paying for a .65 cent cup of coffee with a @#$@#$#@ debit or credit card?

*They always mumble to the poor clerk, "Darn, I wish I could remember my pin number"...

But even if it was just 65 cents, it'll take the same amount of time between cash and card. With cash, the cashier will have to put the cash in the till then count out the change. In the same amount of time, I can swipe the card and be done. I don't have to sign as it's under some amount. It's even faster if I use my phone to pay versus sticking in a chip card.

I've seen people take their time counting out the cash to pay especially when it involves coins.
Agree with Rey HRH. I'll also add:
  • have you seen a millennial try to make change?
  • have you stood behind a woman digging through her purse for crumpled up bills and loose change?

Both are slower than a credit card swipe and I don't lose my faith in humanity.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
    Picture of Balzé Halzé
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rey HRH:
    quote:

Agree with Rey HRH. I'll also add:
  • have you seen a millennial try to make change?
  • have you stood behind a woman digging through her purse for crumpled up bills and loose change?

Both are slower than a credit card swipe and I don't lose my faith in humanity.

• Yeah, I'm dumbfounded how anyone could think paying for a cup of coffee with cash that requires making change is faster than swiping a credit card. Up to a certain amount, I don't even have to sign with my AMEX. And yes, I use it even when buying one cup of coffee. Heck, I use it for buying a single pack of mints. I use it for everything. I swipe and I'm done in seconds. And I don't have any annoying change clanging around in my pockets.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
    NRA Life Member (Patron)
    God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I still don't understand what the cash has to do with the CC bill. Are you mailing them cash in an envelope to pay off the balance?

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Balzé Halzé
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bigwagon:
    I still don't understand what the cash has to do with the CC bill. Are you mailing them cash in an envelope to pay off the balance?

He takes out cash from one bank and hand delivers it to the bank that issued his credit card to pay off the balance.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
    NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Grapes of Wrath
    Picture of Wino
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Black92LX:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
    I guess I don't really understand. Are you saying that you pay off your credit every month with cash? For God's sake, why?

It helps me spend less. Plus they charge for a bank transfer.

<...>

Today the withdrawal was $795. It all comes out of the little automatic machine so I am not sure why they need someone to approve it.

I get your process to curb spending.

However, you shouldn't need to pay for a transfer if you make the payment online. If so you should get a better card.

As for teller limits, generally the newer the teller the lower their limit. Under $2,000 is generally a fairly new teller.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Victim of Life's
    Circumstances
    Picture of doublesharp
    posted Hide Post
    It takes about 30 seconds for my VISA card with a chip to process. Even a snowflake can count change faster than that.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Balzé Halzé
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by doublesharp:
    It takes about 30 seconds for my VISA card with a chip to process. Even a snowflake can count change faster than that.

Many places now you can insert your card while the cashier is still ringing up items.

And 30 seconds? My card don't take no 30 seconds, yo.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
    NRA Life Member (Patron)

Truckin' On
    Picture of AH.74
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
    He takes out cash from one bank and hand delivers it to the bank that issued his credit card to pay off the balance.

To each their own of course, but it doesn't make sense to me especially if you can take advantage of online payment at no cost. The last thing I want to do is not only go to one bank each month, but two. I go to the bank like I go to the post office- as little as possible. I have my two most-used cards set up for auto-pay so I don't even have to log in each month. That's what it's there for.

I also pay by CC for almost everything and do not ever carry much cash. If I traveled like you do, I probably would do as you do.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His Royal Hiney
    Picture of Rey HRH
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by doublesharp:

That was my complaint before with chipped cards. But in the last week, I noticed it was like 5 seconds from the time I stick it in and when it says take it out.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by texassierra:
    A while back I dropped by a branch of my bank to grab $400 cash prior to going on a short trip. Went to the teller and she says "Oh, it's easier if you use the ATM over there". I say "I want large bills not a wad of 20s". Her: "Just bring them back over and I'll exchange them." WTF!

She is sadistic and just like to see people stoke out Big Grin

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Find a bank that is comfortable with cash transactions. They are still out there - but far and few between.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get busy living
    or get busy dying!
    Picture of heathtx
    posted Hide Post
    Snipped from BamaJeepster's post on p3
    As long as you don't hit the regulatory threshold (and $2000/mo is under that threshold), you will never notice anything. If you go over the threshold the teller will, by law, submit a report which will go to the regulators and they may or may not look into it.

Bama, can you please tell us what the regulatory limits are? I know any transaction $10,000 or more must have a form filled out. What about one week I withdraw $2,000, the next week I withdraw #3,000 and the next week I withdraw $4,000. Have I reached some unknown limit?

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by texassierra:
    A while back I dropped by a branch of my bank to grab $400 cash prior to going on a short trip. Went to the teller and she says "Oh, it's easier if you use the ATM over there". I say "I want large bills not a wad of 20s". Her: "Just bring them back over and I'll exchange them." WTF!

I especially despise those folks. Typically I will think of some bullshit reason to MAKE THEM COMPLY.
    Usually suggesting that you have some kind of handicap as to why you cannot go to the ATM is worth a try. Suggesting that you do not trust machines because you are afraid of germs and electricity has worked for me. Quoting ADA works too.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of rsd1220
    posted Hide Post
    Chase didn't hassle me when I took a measly $2,500 out for my trip.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    come to Europe, it's still mostly cash.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post