SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone work at a bank who can answer this question
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone work at a bank who can answer this question Login/Join 
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
If I recall correctly my credit union has a daily limit of $500 that you need to talk to someone to bump up. A real pain in the ass when you need to buy something face to face.
I'm guessing you're referring to an ATM, he's using a bank teller/person. Never heard of a daily limit when going to the bank counter...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I use electronic bill pay for pretty much everything now. It's rare that I even cut checks.

The feds are pressuring the banks to make using cash more difficult. I think they'd like to get rid of it all together.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on the bank. I withdraw $1000 in cash twice a month for years and never have a problem. More when I go on vacations and Vegas trips Smile.

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
You do realize that, even though that message is printed on money, it isn't legally binding, correct. No one has to take cash.

quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
The Coinage Act of 1965 says that United States cash, (excluding foreign gold or silver coins), is legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues. That means creditors are legally obligated to accept your crumpled-up ones and fives.

The Coinage Act doesn't say anything about private companies or individuals, however. That means businesses are free to accept or decline cash for goods and services. They can also set forth other guidelines, like prohibiting customers from paying with pennies (cumbersome to count) or high-denomination bills (could be a robbery hazard).

quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
You do realize that, even though that message is printed on money, it isn't legally binding, correct. No one has to take cash.

quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand the OP wanting to pay cash. He is trying to control his spending. There are cultural differences as well.

I remember when my daughter was about five and I was paying the cashier in cash for my bill. Being the South, she said "Daddy show them that plastic and you won't have to pay."

I remember another discussion on SF when I posted about paying cash for a new car. Many members spoke of how they always paid cash for their cars and guns. Some members described the fun of bringing a wad of cash and counting it out on the hood of the car. JALLEN once said the Man with cash is always welcome.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I do some electronic transfer/payments as appropriate.

Let me ask how many forum members have stood in long lines behind peckerheads who insist on paying for a .65 cent cup of coffee with a @#$@#$#@ debit or credit card?

*They always mumble to the poor clerk, "Darn, I wish I could remember my pin number"...

Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
A while back I dropped by a branch of my bank to grab $400 cash prior to going on a short trip. Went to the teller and she says "Oh, it's easier if you use the ATM over there". I say "I want large bills not a wad of 20s". Her: "Just bring them back over and I'll exchange them." WTF!

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some members described the fun of bringing a wad of cash and counting it out on the hood of the car. JALLEN once said the Man with cash is always welcome.

Cash is King!
If I'm buying something off of Craigslist and meeting someone in a parking lot. Smile
Of course, for my credit card..., with a few clicks of my mouse the money quickly and easily goes from my credit union account (less fees than the bank) to my credit card account. It's a lot easier.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Cash is just as good as having money!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I always keep at least $500 in cash on me at all times and many times have much more than that in my wallet. However I pay for practically everything with credit card. I love cash; I never want to see it go away.

But when it comes to paying bills, it is just so much more convenient to use online bill pay. I have no issue with someone wanting to pay his bills with cash, but I just couldn't see the benefit. I can undestand wanting to control one's spending though.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always keep at least $500 in cash on me at all times and many times have much more than that in my wallet. However I pay for practically everything with credit card. I love cash; I never want to see it go away.

I'm the same way... well maybe half that much usually, but put that in my wife's purse and it instantly disappears!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VS83HdpzxDU

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The demonization of the use of cash is the fucking problem.

Pay however you like. Cash is, and better fucking remain, perfectly legal and normal.

Ignore the rest.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yogi was quite the wordsmith. Thanks for the video. Deja Vu all over again.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I'd be asking if your bank charges for money orders, a couple of the banks I deal with don't charge for them depending on the type of account you have.

To me that's an equivalent solution to get around the teller BS if they offer it, most only charge a dollar...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
The demonization of the use of cash is the fucking problem.

Pay however you like. Cash is, and better fucking remain, perfectly legal and normal.

Ignore the rest.

Well, only people looking to hide things they're doing wrong, use cash.

We would all be safer and better off, not to mention the enviornment would be healthier, if we stopped using cash.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Yet i cashed a $4800 check the other day (not even my bank) and the teller didnt need any approval.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Maybe the teller thought he was like this guy Big Grin

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post