SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone work at a bank who can answer this question
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone work at a bank who can answer this question Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I put everything possible on the credit card and pay it off every month. So I go to my bank and get the cash then go to the bank who the CC is through.
It never fails, I hand the teller my withdrawl slip and they say just 1 minute I have to get my manager as this is over my limit.
I am by no Mr. Money Bags and the machine spits the money out anyway. What good is a teller if they always have to get a manager?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25419 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you withdraw cash from your own bank account and then go to a different bank and hand them that cash to pay the CC balance?

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't really understand. Are you saying that you pay off your credit every month with cash? For God's sake, why?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most places put a cap/limit on what a teller has access to in their drawer. Anytime they need to access more than what they have, they have to get the head teller's signature and/or other manager's signature depending on the amount.

I'm sure each place is different. My wife worked for a couple banks and credit unions. I want to say her limit was $1,000 but I'm not 100% positive

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
What is he supposed to pay the CC balance with? Poker chips?

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Cash is more heavily scrutinized these days.

Let's say you were withdrawing cash on a regular basis. Would it result in a reporting requirement?

$300 or so a day from an ATM is no problem. $1500 now and then might be. $2500 or more probably indicates you are involved in nefarious activities that will get the bank in trouble and the employees transferred to the branch in Bumfuck, Idaho.

You are supposed to pay your bills online, or at least with a check. Are you some sort of odd duck?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Maybe a bank transfer? This is 2017 after all.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Y'all type faster than me.

Reminds me of an old friend who would pay his town taxes with cash in person every year. It was a matter of principal.

Posts: 4587 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
Because tellers keep x amount of $ on hand which is extremely low by the way, on purpose, for a hundred different reasons. If you had $100,000 in a checking account and walked into your local bank branch and said you wanted to withdraw all your money right now in cash, 99.9% of the branches couldn't fulfill your request. You'd get a little cash and a cashier's check. Cash in a branch is dead money to banks ie they can't lend against it.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Maybe a bank transfer? This is 2017 after all.

Doesn't matter. Not all folks do things the same way. There are folks who still have dial-up, and it's 2017.

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe write a check?

I don't think that SIGforum challenge coins are legal tender.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Maybe write a check?

What is this check thing you speak of.... Big Grin

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess I don't really understand. Are you saying that you pay off your credit every month with cash? For God's sake, why?

It helps me spend less. Plus they charge for a bank transfer.
By physically withdrawing the cash keeps it in better perspective of my spending.
I used to use cash but so many purchases are done with Amazon anymore getting 5% back is nice as well as 1 or 2% depending where the other purchases are made. It is silly to pay cash and not get the cash back. I carry no balance ever so it is silly not to.

Today the withdrawal was $795. It all comes out of the little automatic machine so I am not sure why they need someone to approve it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25419 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cash is getting more and more difficult to use...Last year I was in the hospital and not doing well. I knew I had a business CC bill coming up and had to access to my online account (and wasn't giving anyone that info) so I gave my son 500.00 cash and the account number, asked him to go to chase and make the payment. Assholes would not let him because his name was not on account and he was using cash!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly my credit union has a daily limit of $500 that you need to talk to someone to bump up. A real pain in the ass when you need to buy something face to face.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cash is getting more and more difficult to use..

I spend a lot of money on a lot of different things, and have yet to have a problem with cash. Wink

The girls (and a few guys) at several of the branches at my personal bank know me. They still need to get approval from the manager to do certain things for me.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

It helps me spend less. Plus they charge for a bank transfer.
By physically withdrawing the cash keeps it in better perspective of my spending.
I used to use cash but so many purchases are done with Amazon anymore getting 5% back is nice as well as 1 or 2% depending where the other purchases are made. It is silly to pay cash and not get the cash back. I carry no balance ever so it is silly not to.

Today the withdrawal was $795. It all comes out of the little automatic machine so I am not sure why they need someone to approve it.

To make sure the paperwork is complete and correct, to make sure it isn't a teller going berserk, to make sure any reporting requirements are recognized and reporting done if necessary. The bank has done a risk management study and decided this is what works for them, howver silly it may seem to an outsider.

Handling cash is risky. There are two kinds of people, dumb ones who lose it, and smart ones who steal it.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Why not use electronic transfer for your bills. Cash is for outlaws. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CAsh is the answer to many of peoples questions , these days.

in can be a tiny hassle , on occasion .

now and again someone will try to convince me that all this computer pay is the way to go.

I tell'em to tell it to the 3000 people that get effed over every single day.

I make it a point to visit three banks a month, they then know me and welcome me on a regular basis. about twice a year it pays off when you need help from them re: something weird

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Maybe write a check?

Sounds too easy. Let's do it the more difficult way and get reported for structuring.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post