SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    White Pocket / Peekaboo Canyon (near Kanab) - worth a visit?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

White Pocket / Peekaboo Canyon (near Kanab) - worth a visit? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
STILL trying to get away. Plans have changed so many times this year - things not in my control. But trying to get to UT this year still.

Question: seems like the Wave is not likely for me - hard to get permits. I saw something online called White Pocket which sounds similar.

1) Is it interesting and worthwhile (sounds like it's a good 3+ hours to get there from Zion which will be base camp).

2) Can I actually get there with the LX? I see all kinds of warnings / suggestions for 'high clearance 4wd' and no 2wd/awd. Even saw several pics of people getting stuck in sand (although they were more like subaru's and/or SUV w/ street type tires). I have K02. That being said - no skills and stock LX. Can I easily make it - 100% confidence? If even 10% iffy, then it may not be worth the drive and risk this time. Maybe future trip with group and/or OHV rental/tour. Itinerary is actually a little full but wondering if I should trade off some Zion stuff for White Pocket. Always wanted to see the Wave..... And, for Peekaboo, I'm seeing pics of a Tacoma 4x4 (who said he got stuck in sand about 4 times before giving up). Uh oh....

Oh, and if worthwhile and LX is more than capable, any ideas on best route? I keep reading about "don't trust google maps" but they don't say how to get there instead.....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: konata88,

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What year LX? Does it have the hydraulic/air suspension?

K02s are awesome. I think the biggest possible issue may be the combination of your ground clearance, weight, and long wheelbase. The trail has some spots where you could possibly high center if you dig down too deep into the sand. This, of course, depends on the condition of the trail...

It is a Land Cruiser though... If you have the air suspension, I would think you'd be fine.

Posts: 427 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. It’s an ‘08 with AHC suspension. I have k02 but stock profile so not sure how much air down would benefit. Never tested. I have a via compressor but also never tested. Smile. Hoping not to need. A little worried fret seeing pics of the taco stuck.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I haven't been to White Pockets but I think you're LX will be fine. Research the routes, I know one is easier than the other. Plan on airing down, 15 psi, you'll need to have a compressor for when you come out. Good friends took their stock 4 Runner out there with no problems.

Consider spending the night before in Kanab, it would make your day a lot easier. I'm assuming you'll be in Springdale and it's a bit of a ride to House Rock Valley Rd and then dirt/sand to White pockets. I've driven out HRV numerous times, leaving from the Zion area, it's a long day.

Peekaboo is much closer, actually before you get to Kanab. I've been there but it's years ago and we took the harder route. Lots of sand, so you'd air down but shouldn't have a problem. It's really only a few miles off pavement and the slot itself is very short.

I live in the Zion area and can give you some other info. Do you hike? Do you mind getting desert pinstriping? I run a Rubicon and have been all over that area.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
1) Is it interesting and worthwhile (sounds like it's a good 3+ hours to get there from Zion which will be base camp).

Abso-flipping-lutely. I've been there a few times. Last time was in an '08 Nissan Frontier Nismo. Might want to take a compressor so you can refill your tires after you air them down in the sandy parts, but I didn't need to when I went.

Are you also talking about Peekaboo Canyon, by Escalante? I don't remember that being a difficult drive at all, and have been there several times as well. It's right along Hole-In-The-Rock Road. Definitely worth doing, at least if you're skinny and want to do the loop with Spooky.

State Line Campground is close, if you can get a spot. No reservations, it's primitive. Half the sites are in AZ and the other half in UT. There's a ton of other dispersed camping in the area ("area" defined as a 50 mile radius).

Check out Laurent Martres' book Photographing the Southwest Volume 2: Arizona. (This is a good series of books even to use as "travel guides" to the southwest.) Also, check into the climb-utah.com website, and RoadTripRyan.com. The former has parts that are subscription-only, but when I was spending a lot of time in the area, it was well worth it to me. As a matter of fact, the doll house ruin photos on it are mine. My daughter is the photographer in one of them.

Feel free to email me if you have any other questions - email in profile. I've spent a LOT of time in southern Utah, and miss it dearly as I'm now on the other side of the country.

His getting there descriptions (these are from a couple of different sections of the book and cobbled together, so use at your own risk):

quote:

Getting there:
There are two ways to get to the White Pocket.

OPTION 1:
One is to come via Poverty Flat following one of the two options described in the Getting there of the Cottonwood section (via Paw Hole or via BLM 1017 and 1066).

Leaving US 89 about 35 miles from Page or 38 miles from Kanab, drive about 16 miles south on House Rock Valley Road, passing the Wire Pass trailhead and the Stateline Campground. Continue to an unmarked dirt road leading east to the Lone Tree Reservoir a few hundred yards further. With a 4WD vehicle, continue the sandy road for about 2.5 miles with 400 foot of elevation gain, until you reach the Paw Hole trailhead. From Paw Hole on, it is strictly 4WD territory. It is 3 miles to Poverty Flat, where you turn left to go north. There is one nasty ascent in deep sand shortly after Paw Hole, as well as some rocky steps. Things improve a little bit after that.

You’ll follow this way if you’ve visited Coyote Buttes South and camped there the night before. At Poverty Flat, take the sandy dirt road heading northeast and follow it for almost 6 miles to the White Pocket. Don’t let yourself be fooled by the USGS map, which shows this road stopping at a corral not far from Poverty Flat. This road does go on until the White Pocket. Almost 4 miles from Poverty Flat, the road ascends a hill then descends on the other side, both in deep sand. Under dry conditions, this section may be difficult to negotiate, especially on the way back. To avoid getting stuck, you might want to park on the side and walk the rest of the way to the White Pocket (about 2 miles). As you reach a wooden fence, only a few hundreds yards from the White Pocket, note the track coming from the right. This is where you arrive if you choose the second alternative.

OPTION 2:
For the second option, leave House Rock Valley Road about 20 miles south of US 89 and turn east on BLM 1017, which is a good dirt road heading toward Corral Valley. Coming from the south on House Rock Valley Road, this turnoff is about 10 miles from US 89 A. Follow BLM 1017 eastward for 6.1 miles until Pine Tree Pockets and turn left on the road going northeast. After 3.9 miles, locate a faint side road heading north, forming the left branch of a Y. You can easily miss this turn because the track is very faint. If you’re not sure about your car’s odometer or if you forgot to reset it, the coordinates for this turn are 36°53'03" 111°55'13". From here on, the sand gets extremely deep and I suggest you get out and test it over the next hundred feet or so. Be sure you are in “granny low”, with tires deflated for better flotation and that you have adequate clearance to ride the ruts without getting your undercarriage encased in the deep sand. Since the area is rather flat overall, it is normally negotiable, unless it hasn’t rained in months.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. The Peekaboo (seems like there a half a dozen more places of interest named as such) I'm talking about here is the canyon near Kanab. The one in Escalante near Spooky looks very nice but I don't think I could do that trail for various reasons.

I have that photography book - I bought the last time ya'll recommended it. Smile I forgot about it - I'll read up on the SW UT sections.

Thanks for the White Pocket recommended route. I saw a map that seems to reflect the recommended route too. I wonder if I need to buy one of those GPS units ($300-400). These trips have a lot of expensive, one time use equipment recommendations.....

posted Hide Post
quote:
... These trips have a lot of expensive, one time use equipment recommendations.....

Yeah, all trips seem to be that way for me!

I'd probably go for GaiaGPS app on iPhone or tablet. You can download maps locally for when you are off-grid. I use that. Subscription services are available, depending on the map type you like.

I have not done that particular Peekaboo Canyon, surprisingly. I'll need to put that one on my list for my next trip.

ETA: The last time I tried to do the Peekaboo near Escalante, there was a waist-deep "puddle" at the base, which made the scramble up into it slippery and impossible, at least for me. Daughter and I ended up hiking down-wash to do an in-and-out of Spooky. I was skinnier then too....

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have not done that particular Peekaboo Canyon, surprisingly. I'll need to put that one on my list for my next trip.

I really wanted to do Peekaboo and Spooky. But then I watched videos. No way I could make it through.... Smile Peekaboo Kanab is my next closest experience.

posted Hide Post
They really aren't that bad, but you do need to feel comfortable doing that sort of stuff. Here are a few shots -

Daughter at Peekaboo beginning:

Me in Spooky:

Daughter in Spooky:

- Dave Barry

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Nice!!

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
My wife and I did Peekaoo Canyon is June - we went in with a tour company. On the way in, we passed a nice Tacoma stuck in the sand. If I didn't know my way in, I would probably go with someone who knew what they were doing. When we got to the start of the canyon, there were a couple of private (not part of a tour) vehicles, so I'm sure it's possible, I just wouldn't chance it.

Oh, by the way, it's a beautiful canyon!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The Taco aired down the tires, had good AT tires, 4wd and experienced driver? And still got stuck? If so, that doesn’t bode well for me..... If 2wd and/or street tires then maybe I could consider still. I want to go..... just don’t want to get stuck. Or stuck as long as I can self recover quickly. I’ll be depressed if I need to pay for a $2000 tow.

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Taco aired down the tires, had good AT tires, 4wd and experienced driver? And still got stuck? If so, that doesn’t bode well for me..... If 2wd and/or street tires then maybe I could consider still. I want to go..... just don’t want to get stuck. Or stuck as long as I can self recover quickly. I’ll be depressed if I need to pay for a $2000 tow.

Well, in all honesty, when we passed the Tacoma, there were 4 older people standing around it wondering how to get unstuck. My impression was they got in over their head. They should have been able to get to Peekaboo Canyon just fine with their vehicle, but they somehow ended up in deep sand.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Ok. So the vehicle was probably capable. Just driver error - old people. Like me. Smile. So still doesn’t bode well for me. Smile lol.

If I can fit it the schedule, I think I’m gonna go for it. Road less travelled and such.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
ALWAYS air down. 8-12 PSI, bring a spare.

You’ll get twice as far on aired down tires than you will with 35 PSI pizza cutters.

Bring lots of water and snacks, for obvious reasons. And a high life jack will get you out of trouble and save your bacon.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
The Peekaboo in Kanab has become super popular, you would not be alone out there. I sure hope someone stopped to help the Taco, I've winched, strapped several folks out of trouble over the 15 years I've been in Utah.

There are two routes to Peekaboo, I was with others and we took the much harder ATV route in our Jeeps. The sand hill coming out was a bear to get up. I haven't done the easier route but will this Winter.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
This is a little belated but still deserving.

I wanted to thank everyone for your help above.

I especially want to convey my gratitude to UTsig for his extensive and detailed tips and guidance that made my visit smooth and uneventful (in a good way). As one might expect of SF members, he's a helpful and friendly gentleman.

I made it through the sand and ruts without a worry and without issue. I learned some things for the next time as well. And the sand was challenging as we witnessed an ill equipped dually get stuck and needed to be winched out.

Definitely need a gps solution that doesn't depend on cell service. Both for navigation and for trails (phone app may be okay for later if I decide to become a member to one of the services).

posted Hide Post
That is great to hear that it was a safe and successful trip. Utah really does have such a wide range of beautiful spots to visit.

If you make it further north on another trip, lots of great places for off road adventures. From the High Uintahs to the Sand Dunes.

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah | Registered: June 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Wow. Great pics 4x5, IntrepidTraveler.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am glad you went K. Some time you just need to throw caution to the wind. To many miss out on fantastic opportunities and possibilities because it is too this and that. Nothing risked, nothing gained is a real thing. Many avoid taking a chance that usually pays off in some form or fashion.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post