SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thoughts on a Pole Barn/ Steel Building in Tx between Austin and San Antonio?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on a Pole Barn/ Steel Building in Tx between Austin and San Antonio? Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
Looking to build this floor plan and are trying to get some ideas from anybody that's done it as well as their experiences.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I like the compact and open floor plan for 2500 sq ft of taxable space. I might open up the garage a bit more (3 overhead doors perhaps).
The compact living space will save you on HVAC expenses. 

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
OK, I've gotta ask - why do you need a closet just for panties?

BTW, are you looking for a location or type of location as well?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Are you planning on building this but calling it a "barn" for tax purposes? If so, I recommend you contact the tax appraiser in the county you're building in and ask a lot of questions. I did that in Williamson Co before I built my pole barn with an "overnight shelter" and avoided some unnecessary taxes based on their assumptions of appraisal.

These plans will be a sweet weekend getaway for you. How many acres, and east or west of 35?

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have observed that it is almost impossible to keep mice out of a metal building in a rural setting, FWIW.

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Planning as a retirement home, not sure just where yet but somewhere between Austin and SA, maybe a little north.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I noticed that, too. I think he meant "Pantry" since it's off the kitchen. Smile

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I have observed that it is almost impossible to keep mice out of a metal building in a rural setting, FWIW.

I agree with this comment. Sealing a pole building well is either difficult or impossible. I think mice, bugs of all kinds and snakes would move right in with you. What is it about pole construction for a residence that you find appealing?

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of metal building homes around here. They're comparatively cheap and quick to build. They're low upkeep, too. And they all have rodent issues, at least the ones I looked at. The roll up doors are particularly hard to seal effectively.

We have a couple of metal buildings for barns/workshops. One is plumbed in the slab for conversion to a casita, but after studying on it, we nixed the idea.

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:

BTW, are you looking for a location or type of location as well?

I have big panties.

YAT-YAS

posted Hide Post
I have built two metal buildings for non ag use. One at the office and a 40 x 60 shop at the house. The key to sealing them is to use spray foam insulation, my shop is literally air tight, it insulates great and helps with condensation. Not cheap but worth it.

Do not use the overhead doors they sell with the building, they are trash, get insulated garage doors.

I don't think a pole barn would work well for a barnhouse, but that's just my opinion.

Tommy

Posts: 140 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
I noticed that, too. I think he meant "Pantry" since it's off the kitchen. Smile

flashguy

Maybe it's for his edible panties....kinky!

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, one way or another, we all gotta eat some time.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is it about pole construction for a residence that you find appealing?

I've built several pole buildings for machinery sheds, horse barns and hay storage on our little farm. For those purposes, they are relatively satisfactory and cost efficient. But these are buildings that aren't insulated and heated and where dust, vermin, snakes and tight security are not requirements. I wouldn't want to live in one unless I pulled a 5th wheel into it and slept in that. Again, are you looking at a tax issue or a building cost issue or something else?

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Building cost is the concern, trying to find a viable alternative that is cost effective.

YAT-YAS

posted Hide Post
Valpo,
I have 2 pole building and was working with Morton buildings to build another pole building and a house.
Without getting into a long story, do not use Morton buildings. One point is that one of my already existing buildings had a roof paint issue,..bad issue and Morton would not cover it as the warranty states it will. Then they tried to shaft me for some money I put down on a new building that they promised was refundable on my request....
Just so you know I do not trust Morton buildings anymore. Would not want to see you get taken.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in the your target area. Make sure to find out the county tax laws in the county where you plan to move. Also, other laws may affect your plans. One cannot shoot on his property unless you have a min of 10 acres in county where I live. Need to find out if in ETJ of local governments too.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post