SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Saatva mattresses
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saatva mattresses Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted
I remember a thread years ago where someone had issues, but they have supposedly improved them. Have any side sleepers tried the newer versions? Are they worth the money? Do they hold up after the improvements? Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ackks,

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I have a Purple 4, sleep in every position, and have not had any issues at all with mine. Takes a bit of getting used to at first.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Thanks, a1abdj. Is it uncomfortable at first or just feels different?

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
I remember a thread years ago where someone had issues, but they have supposedly improved them. Have any side sleepers tried the newer versions? Are they worth the money? Do they hold up after the improvements? Thanks!

I have no experience but the makers started out making decubitus ulcer prevention cushions for the people restricted to wheelchairs. (Quads/Paras)
My experience with those products and the extreme abuse they sustain was 3 year lifespan. to be fair that is a lot more pressure than supine sleep.
I would absolutely look into them if I needed to replace my mattress.
That said there are several new-gen mattresses on the market that I would investigate as well, many offering 90+ day in-home trials, full free shipping returns. Casper, Avacodo, Brooklyn Bedding, and Saatva come to mind most/all offering free delivery and 90+ days of in-home trials.
Hell, you can go a few years before actually having to buy a mattress and by that time there will be new entries into the market!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
quote:

I have no experience but the makers started out making decubitus ulcer prevention cushions for the people restricted to wheelchairs. (Quads/Paras)
My experience with those products and the extreme abuse they sustain was 3 year lifespan. to be fair that is a lot more pressure than supine sleep.
I would absolutely look into them if I needed to replace my mattress.
That said there are several new-gen mattresses on the market that I would investigate as well, many offering 90+ day in-home trials, full free shipping returns. Casper, Avacodo, Brooklyn Bedding, and Saatva come to mind most/all offering free delivery and 90+ days of in-home trials.
Hell, you can go a few years before actually having to buy a mattress and by that time there will be new entries into the market!

That's funny. I talked to Purple today and they recommended putting plywood over my box spring because of my headboard setup. Wood is expensive now, but it sure beats having to send a frame back as well, and it should work with the ones you suggested if I need to try others. My only concern with that is if it would creaks like some wood foundations companies sell?

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
If you live near a Rooms To Go furniture store, they have all these internet brands you can lay on and try out. I found several to not be my cup of tea.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
The purple grid is square, and at least in my case I kept concentrating on how it felt like I was laying on squares. You can feel it. I'm not that big at around 160 pounds, so it may be less noticeable to anybody that's heavier.

After a few days it was no longer noticeable. Not uncomfortable at all, just unusual.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I did not know that, but we have an RTG just around the corner and we need a new matress.

Posts: 10825 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out mygreenmattress.com also. Similar bed in a bag concept, but higher quality materials + lower marketing costs = better product at a better value in my opinion.

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
We have the original Purple mattress and are very happy with it. My wife and I are both side sleepers. I can only imagine that the newer ones are even better.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
The purple grid is square, and at least in my case I kept concentrating on how it felt like I was laying on squares. You can feel it. I'm not that big at around 160 pounds, so it may be less noticeable to anybody that's heavier.

After a few days it was no longer noticeable. Not uncomfortable at all, just unusual.

For the first 3 days I felt like I was sleeping on cubes of jello. After about 3 days i never felt it again. I weigh 350 if that matters.
I like the purple and would definitely recommend it.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Is the purple any better than a tempurpedic? I ask because ours is about 12 years old and starting to creat divots where each one of us lies....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Just don't remove the tag.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I enjoy my Purple Original. No experience with other name brand mattresses. I don't regret it.

Posts: 1997 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
For the first 3 days I felt like I was sleeping on cubes of jello. After about 3 days i never felt it again. I weigh 350 if that matters.

I appreciate you and a1abdj mentioning that. Sounds like you get used to it pretty quickly.

Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
Don’t have the mattress, but I do have one of the purple pillows. As a pillow, I feel it is too heavy, but the pattern has never been a problem. It’s comfortable, I just tend to move my pillows around a lot which makes the weight noticeable. I’d have no problems trying a purple mattress.

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I sleep on my side & have a Saatva. I like it and they deliver, set up, and haul away. Will buy 3 new ones this fall.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I appreciate you and a1abdj mentioning that. Sounds like you get used to it pretty quickly.

Same experience for me. Felt a little weird at first but comfortable. Now I miss it when I travel. Frown

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
I sleep on my side & have a Saatva. I like it and they deliver, set up, and haul away. Will buy 3 new ones this fall.

How has your Saatva held up? I started this thread a year ago about a Purple, but I'm now leaning towards a Saatva. Also, which firmness did you go with?

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I have the Purple Premier 3. It is supposedly a little more firm than the 4. I love it. I've only had it a couple of weeks so far though. It has never felt weird to me. Super comfortable from the first night's sleep.

They have a store in Salt Lake City if you ever feel the need to try it out.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post