SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Peppermint oil for rodents?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peppermint oil for rodents? Login/Join 
posted
Car in shop and got call that they also noticed signs of rodent damage to some wiring. Also recently bought RV and daughter says she has heard sounds of something up under RV. Neighbor says he uses peppermint oil sprayed under car to keep rodents away.

I would appreciate advice on keeping out rodents.

I recently moved from city area to more country area and am learning I live among many animals - coyotes, rabbits, squirrels, gophers, raccoons, opossums, etc.

Posts: 73 | Location: Oceanside, CA | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k4carbon:
I would appreciate advice on keeping out rodents.

It's mostly best to just learn to live with them.

Cats will help, and Mother Nature in the form of snakes and owls will help as well, but you won't win the battle.

I keep Jawz traps around and Ramik poison as well as sticky traps inside the camper (I have no idea how they do it but somehow they get up in there). I kill hundreds of the little bastards a year and they still keep coming.

Posts: 20064 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Lemon Pledge

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Please elaborate. How do you get the noxious rodent to hold still so you can spray Lemon Pledge on them?

Wink

Posts: 26891 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
When we had a bit of a mouse problem in our pantry over the winter, I found the scent-based solutions (including mint) to be 100% useless.

Traps baited w/ peanut butter worked like a charm, however.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
When we had a bit of a mouse problem in our pantry over the winter, I found the scent-based solutions (including mint) to be 100% useless.

Traps baited w/ peanut butter worked like a charm, however.

-Rob

I had the same experience.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had some mice move into a Corvette stored over winter. Caught damage early and evicted tenants. Next year someone told me to put Bounce fabric softener sheets inside and under hood on engine. Never saw any further activity when doing that. It seems to have worked for me but may have been luck of the draw.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2882 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I prefer chutney with them rather than peppermint...

Not sure why any scent of food would be expected to keep ravenous omnivores away.

Traps or bait work very well.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Whenever I see these type threads, I put in a plug for Fresh Cab.

I had an infestation of mice in a pantry and garage trapping multiple per day. Used this product and they all packed up and moved on. So, if you are simply looking to repel, this stuff works. It has an outdoorsy pineish kind of smell.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makes 'em taste minty. I save the Lemon Pledge for my hearing aids. It ends waxy buildup, y'know. Big Grin

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I encounter this problem every so often and the only thing that works is mothballs.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5034 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have used crackers and peanut butter

had one build a nest on the engine in my Ferrari

needless to say I was a bit pissed when my engine became an expensive Mesquite bean pod smoker

we have some snakes around that I like, but not enough to get the pack rats, mice and prairie dogs

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
What you really need to do is keep the grass/cover short under & around the RV and then put a poison 'bait house' under the vehicle. You get them online or the Home Depot type stores.

Baited & tucked under they should be pet proof. Take a few extra precautions if need be.

Posts: 6154 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had extremely good success with the electronic rat killers such as the Rat Zapper. There is another product that is more expensive and uses CO2 cartridges, but is non electric.

http://www.victorpest.com/rat-...ic-rat-trap-rzc001-4

http://www.victorpest.com/rat-...PEAQYAyABEgJN_fD_BwE

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoeSig
posted Hide Post
Never had a mouse trap with peanut butter fail me....except where the trap took too much to trigger it.

I almost always adjust the mouse traps for a more sensitive trip trigger. Have to be more careful with them when setting and placing, but once theys get to the peanut butter, it's good to the 1st bite.

Set a trap several months ago in the basement...was convinced they could no longer get in the basement. Wife found the trap occupied the other day. Probably a good idea to look under the shelves on occasion.

JoeSig

Sola Gratia, Sola Fide, Solus Christus, Soli Deo Gloria, Sola Scriptura

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: October 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
A friend had an old jeep at a cabin in the woods. He would prop the hood all the way open to keep the rodents out.

Apparently the rats didn't like the open feel.

Keep in mind most of the old Jeep's engine compartments were air.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
Lemon Pledge

Lemon Pledge works great at cleaning up scratches on motorcycle wind screens. Keeping rodents away........umm, okay, I'll take your word for it. Wink

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Please elaborate. How do you get the noxious rodent to hold still so you can spray Lemon Pledge on them?

Wink

Moth balls are better! Big Grin Keeps them from building nests in the shroud of my lawn tractor engine.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post