SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking Up Military Service Records
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking Up Military Service Records Login/Join 
posted
Anyone have any good (easy) resources to look up older military records?

We are working on a tribute for my FIL and it appears he was in the 187th Airborn group but there is also some reference in his things to a group called the Red Devils?

I have his ID number and know he was in Japan in the 50's but that is about it

Thanks!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
http://www.dd214.us/methods.html

I hope you don’t need anything in a hurry.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's still an active unit, out of Ft. Campbell, KY I think.

https://rakkasan.net is one resource for the 187th Airborne.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
http://www.dd214.us/methods.html

I hope you don’t need anything in a hurry.

Thanks and there is no rush, I was on that site earlier and it was buggy on both Chrome and Safari but I will try later

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This will take some time once you send in the request:

https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
This brings up a question about my Dad I have.

He almost never said anything about his service other than 2 or 3 stories.
I'm ashamed to say I don't even know which branch he was in.

He had related that after boot camp he was sent to California for "further training" he never elaborated on what that was.

He was lucky, he was headed for Japan when they dropped the bombs that ended the war. I believe he then spent his tour as part of the occupation force.

He held a lifelong dislike of the Japanese people. Once remarking he would never set foot in a local arena because a Japanese owned company donated a large part of the funds to build it.

The older I get the more curious I get about his service. I could supply his SS#, DOB, Full name, Death Certificate and that he was "in" during Aug 1945 time frame but that's about it.

Would that be enough info to get his record?

And then, giving his reluctance to talk about it should I, or should I just adknowledge he did his due and leave it at that?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Your Dad's records along with mine were probably lost in the fire.
I haven't checked out trying to get my Dad's but maybe it's somewhere to start?

I'm content knowing he was in the Philippines during WWII and did what he could. He never talked much about it and I didn't press it once I was no longer a little kid.

Archives.gov

ETA - my link leads to the same place as jallen posted once I clicked on it...

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 187 infantry regiment was in the Pacific for WWII. It's now the 3D Brigade of the 101st Airborne Division. As mentioned above there is a very active Rakassan association in the FT Campbell area. They also have an active facebook and web presence.

The phrase "Red Devils" is liked to the 504 Parachute Infantry Regiment. First and Second BN are part of 1st Brigade 82D Airborne.

I suspect you'll find a pair of jump wings in your FIL's things.

You could also check to see if he put his DD214 on file with county records. Some folks do it when they get out and if he did It would be easier to get then going through DoD. You should also contact the VA and maybe one of the local veterans organizations can help.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post