SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Starbucks CEO: We're going to hire 10,000 refugees...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starbucks CEO: We're going to hire 10,000 refugees... Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I like Apple and I like Starbucks.

But one of these days their shareholders are going to tell the CEO's to shut the fuck up and just sell coffee/phones.

Precisely my thoughts. Hopefully tomorrow.

Lib assholes.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
As long as he hires folks with legal status and proper work authorization, I could care less who it is.

But I would think that he, as CEO of a public company, would be more interested in hiring people without regard to anything other than their competence and passion than in making a political statement. But that's just how I run my businesses.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
At least that will be 10,000 fewer refugees I have to fully support with my tax money. And since I could not even tell you the last time I drank anything from Starbucks I won't support them that way either.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
Has Starbucks built any locations in Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Libya, Yemen, or Somalia? No?

How about Germany? Yup, they have locations there. How many refugees from any of the above listed countries has Starbucks hired for their locations in Germany?

Serious questions, and I will not make assumptions.

Additional information from a press release updated August 2014.

quote:
Regardless of that spectrum of beliefs, Starbucks has been and remains a non-political organization. We do not support any political or religious cause.

Guess the above as changed. Also...

quote:
We partner with Alshaya Group to operate Starbucks stores in Bahrain, Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and United Arab Emirates in the Middle East and North Africa region.

Note they dissolved their partnership with the company operating Starbucks in Israel.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
one of these days their shareholders are going to tell the CEO's to shut the fuck up and just sell coffee/phones.

The sooner, the better.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Starbucks

worst, over-priced coffee ever in the entire history of the universe

but it separates liberals and the pretentious snowflakes from their money

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
The answer to this is easy:

1. Black Rifle Coffee Company
2. Portable AeroPress

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Starbucks

^^^ This for sure. I don't like their coffee, but will occasionally stop in. But I will go out of my way to avoid them from now on. Not because refugees don't need a job, but for this politicizing statement and taking sides against the American people.

I like Coffe Bean and Tea Leaf better anyway.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Starbucks

I love Starbucks coffee and a cup from Dunkin Donuts costs the same around here. And I am hardly a liberal or a snowflake. But I bought my last cup of Starbucks at 1730 today. No more Starbucks in my house. And that includes the coffee they sell under the Kirkland brand name at Costco.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Schultz is an NMU grad. When he deigns to visit us Yoopers, the NMU crowd falls all over themselves to kiss his ring.
Sad admission:
The entire Yoop went for Trump. Except Marquette County.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
http://m.liveleak.com/view?i=ba4_1479254318

Now we know their asses are clean while they are making the coffee

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
I'll stay with Aroma Joe's here in NH. Even the Irving coffee is just as good. I'm not drinking the fat filled six dollar cup of coffee.

So does that comment mean that they WON'T hire legal US residents? Will they wait at the border handing out applications?

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Starbucks is actually very good coffee. However, I typically get Americanos, but I do like their regular coffee as well.

But as my man Dalton once said, opinions vary.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't stand Starbucks coffee, gives me the running shits just like Indian curry, but I don't object to stopping there with my girlfriend so she can get a cup since they stayed out of politics over the 2A issue.

Next time I'll suggest it's time to try Caribou Coffee down the block from Starbucks, and get some for myself as well.

As an aside, I dated a Moslem girl while in college many years ago, and I believe Moslems are forbidden from drinking coffee as well as carbonated drinks and alcohol. Starbuck's 10,000 refugee employees will more than likely piss in the customers' cups.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
we are developing plans to hire 10,000 of them over five years in the 75 countries around the world where Starbucks does business. And we will start this effort here in the U.S. by making the initial focus of our hiring efforts on those individuals who have served with U.S. troops as interpreters and support personnel in the various countries where our military has asked for such support.

I have no problem with them hiring refugees in other countries. It makes them less likely to become our problem here. As far as the US, I also have no problem with them hiring refugees who meet the criteria listed.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
As long as he hires folks with legal status and proper work authorization, I could care less who it is.

But I would think that he, as CEO of a public company, would be more interested in hiring people without regard to anything other than their competence and passion than in making a political statement. But that's just how I run my businesses.

Agreed. I could care less whom they hire, as long as they're legal and willing to put in a honest day's work. However, polarizing this only forces the issue and causes people to take sides. Anyways, I'm more apt to support a privately owned, single-door coffee shop than a multinational chain any day.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I dunno about that. In every SBUX I walk into, the clientele look much more like the top photo. And they're probably happy as clams with SBUX hiring refugees.

quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Attention Starbucks........the pendulum is going to the other side......your hipsters spending $$ for Mocha cha-cha lattes:

is about to change back:

And we don't care much for refugees, or your coffee.

Explain THAT to your shareholders

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Since Chick-fil-A does everything right...I expect them to announce they will be selling different types of coffee at all their locations.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

For those familiar with army coffee brewed in the field, we know about it. For those who do not, It is brewed in a 30(?) gallon kettle, over a gasoline burner. In our commo unit we were running 24/7 while on field exercises. One can imagine the quality of the coffee at Odark30, and we still drank it. Easy to understand when many of our days were 60-72 hours (or longer).

Tasted like shit but kept us awake.

Did your lips have a brown stain? Big Grin

We had guy at the last place I worked that drink coffee all day long and had the brown lips. Frown

For what it is worth, I have never been in a Starbucks. Maybe I should make a visit and torment them.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
God Bless them!

What you did there- I see it...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post