SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A5 Japanese Wagyu
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A5 Japanese Wagyu Login/Join 
posted
Who's had it? How was it? How did you cook it?
I'm really close to buying an A5 Ribeye and just wondering. TIA

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I have not had A5 but have had a couple Wagyu steaks from Snake River Farms that are domestic.

My advice would be to plan on less of it in quantity then you would’ve normal steak. The stuff is incredibly rich and it would be almost impossible to eat the equivalent of a normal 16 ounce ribeye in one sitting by one person.

Super tasty though!

We’ve just seasoned and cooked it like we would any steak. Make sure it’s close to room temperature before hand and then onto the big green egg until medium rare to rare.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've had American and Australian Waygu but haven't been able to part with A5 money yet. I keep telling myself I will someday just to try it but for now the American and Australian are delicious. Sous Vide then sear on the egg or in cast iron with butter and avocado oil per Guga.

Grand Western Steak and Kobe Club are a couple I've been very happy with

Posts: 3455 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
It's a totally different type of steak. It can be cut with a fork. It will nearly melt in your mouth, like butter. It is super, super rich. I am happy to have tried it, but it's probably not something I would bother ordering again. I prefer more meat to fat, more meat taste to the super rich taste, and the consistency of cutting and chewing rather than the melt in mouth feeling. It wasn't a bad experience, but it was just so different from a normal steak. Think of a good steak. Then think of a Snake River Farms (American Waygu) as a higher quality, but still similar. Then think of A5 Waygu as something totally different.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://wagyushop.com/

I'm close to ordering. Prices are steep but I've never had a cut of meat like this and I'm curious.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I've had it several times. Quite frankly I didn't like it. Too rich for me. I like the big bold taste of American beef. I have had lots of American Wagyu from Snake River Farms and I prefer that over the A5 offerings. Another place I like is Double 8 Cattle Company. They have full blood wagyu offerings as well as the Japanese A5 stuff. You have to check them often as their full blood wagyu stuff sells out pretty quickly.

Creekstone Farms is another list worth getting on. They have some good angus prime cuts they offer at good prices now and again.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I've had it several times. Quite frankly I didn't like it. Too rich for me. I like the big bold taste of American beef. I have had lots of American Wagyu from Snake River Farms and I prefer that over the A5 offerings. Another place I like is Double 8 Cattle Company. They have full blood wagyu offerings as well as the Japanese A5 stuff. You have to check them often as their full blood wagyu stuff sells out pretty quickly.

Creekstone Farms is another list worth getting on. They have some good angus prime cuts they offer at good prices now and again.

I've had Prime Black Angus a few times and loved it. I'm just looking for something different to try.
I'm curious as to what a few of you mean by saying it's "rich" tasting. Because of the fat content? The actual meat itself?

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I've had it. You really just need a little of it to punctuate a portion of a meal.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:

I've had Prime Black Angus a few times and loved it. I'm just looking for something different to try.
I'm curious as to what a few of you mean by saying it's "rich" tasting. Because of the fat content? The actual meat itself?

It's a piece of meat flavored tallow. Soft, buttery, rich.

Similar to Foie Gras in effect.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Yes to A5. And similar to others, WAY too rich; we made the mistake of each eating our own portion. Would have been better to split up into smaller portions and have side dishes to eat with it.

By rich, I mean almost fatty tasting. My stomach felt full fast.

Glad I did it, just to say that I have, but I would never spend that type of money again on Wagyu.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
https://wagyushop.com/

I'm close to ordering. Prices are steep but I've never had a cut of meat like this and I'm curious.

I've never had it as I am very happy with American prime beef, so cannot comment on it. BUT, your best deal right now would be buying a whole Japanese A5 ribeye from Costco shipped right to your door fresh (not frozen). They have a whole ribeye (12lbs) as well as individual steaks.

https://www.costco.com/Catalog...All&keyword=a5+wagyu

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had it, its a delicacy for the meat eater. Keep in mind you don't eat it like you would a typical ribeye or, porterhouse. There's a reason why its served in modest pieces. Such expensive and unique types of meat are just a part of a larger meal, make sure you're creating a menu that it can be apart of.

The richness is unique but, after 3-bites, I needed something astringent in my mouth to cut through all the fat build-up. Wine of course but, you're looking for spinach or, arugula to chew on.

Its certainly unique, and if you can appreciate red-meat, it should be tried, however, if I'm looking to chow down on some protein, I'd go for a 60-90 day aged ribeye or, NY strip.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: corsair,

Posts: 14655 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Fat and marbling in a steak is a good thing. A5 is the perfect example of too much of a good thing imo. But it is something everyone should experience at least once.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Queue me up in the column that says "not to my liking." Too rich, too soft, etc.
I'm also the type that trims the fat off my steaks when eating; bacon crisp without any chewy fat, etc.

Give me great cuts of locally raised Black Hills Angus or Bison over any wagyu. Big Grin

If I want soft and rich, I'll go for some pâté. lololololololol

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
As a big steak, didn't care for it. It's meant to be served in small portions like a delicacy.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16354 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All good information and good to know. I might go with the cubes on the site instead of a whole cut and plan a meal around it.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
NO but definitely want to and will sooner than later.

quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

It's meant to be served in small portions like a delicacy.

^^^ very true, so I've heard (from Guga) ^^^

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post