SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    IT Hardware Gurus...step inside please (System Upgrade)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IT Hardware Gurus...step inside please (System Upgrade) Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted
Howdy to all...help me spend my money!! Big Grin

I need to upgrade the Windows 10 system I'm currently using as a "Media Server". I've been out of the game for far too long and don't even know what's on the market in terms of components. I'm not necessarily looking for a "gaming" system that'll blow the doors off my house, but I would like something that is fast and that will be able to buffer data quickly enough for TV and movie streaming. I'm on EXTREMELY fast Xfinity internet, so internet speed will not be an issue.

In terms of motherboards, I've used ASUS products with great success, so I don't mind at all sticking with their product line. As for CPU's, I've always used Intel, so whatever would work with an ASUS m/b in the latest speed is fine also.

Lastly, I'm using an MSI GeForce video card right now, but would like to get something with more robust RAM up to 8GB and one that has a full-sized HDMI port so that I can video out to my TV. The MSI card I have now only has the mini HDMI port so I have to use an adapter...I'm not a fan.

So in short, here is what I need:
ATX Motherboard (have a large NZXT Phantom 410 case)
CPU
Video Card

Another note about a new motherboard...I'm sure it's the status quo of the current M/B's of today, but I want to make sure it has the compatibility to run two (2) 250GB SSD's in RAID 0. The ASUS Sabertooth M/B I have now can't do it.

I already have 24GB RAM that I got last year and my power supply will be good...Corsair Gold Series 850W or higher.

I'm not sure on the budget, but I think a good upgrade is doable for $1,500 or less. I'll be shopping on Newegg.... Smile

Thanks for any and all advice!!!

p.s. My Sony TV is non-4k, so the HDMI input is undoubtedly HDMI 1.0. That may be a consideration when recommending a video card?? Don't know if an HDMI 2.0 video card is backward compatible with an HDMI 1.0 TV/System.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You realize your computer if just for media is way overkill?

quote:
So in short, here is what I need:
ATX Motherboard (have a large NZXT Phantom 410 case)
CPU
Video Card

Any Asus Z370 motherboard

Intel I7-8700K

Graphics > not that you need one > NVidia GTX 1070 or 1080

quote:
Another note about a new motherboard...I'm sure it's the status quo of the current M/B's of today, but I want to make sure it has the compatibility to run two (2) 250GB SSD's in RAID 0. The ASUS Sabertooth M/B I have now can't do it.

Yeah, don't do that . SSD RAID 0.
Instead just use a PCIE nVME SSD drive.
RAID 0 is so 2010.

Good Luck

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
RAID 0 is so 2010.

Good Luck

LMAO!! "...so 2010". Big Grin See...told you I had been out of the loop for a while. Thing is, I already have and am using the two SSD drives, so they would go into the upgraded system. I'm going to reformat and start from ground 0, so I wouldn't mind throwing them in a RAID if that's an option.

Overkill? I don't mind... Smile

Thanks for the info, smschulz!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
RAID 0 is so 2010.

Good Luck

LMAO!! "...so 2010". Big Grin See...told you I had been out of the loop for a while. Thing is, I already have and am using the two SSD drives, so they would go into the upgraded system. I'm going to reformat and start from ground 0, so I wouldn't mind throwing them in a RAID if that's an option.

Overkill? I don't mind... Smile

Thanks for the info, smschulz!!!

It's not overkill, it's underkill. NVME will be faster. Plus more failure tolerant (2 used SSDs in RAID0 is asking for it).

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
smschulz

smschulz recommendations are as usual, right on target. However, good luck finding a GTX 1080 graphics card for less than $1,200. Thank the crypto-currency miners for that little gift. Also, check the speed of your current RAM against the i7 processor smschulz noted above to make sure its both compatible and fast enough to take full advantage of the processor.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
HAHA!! When I said "Overkill", I was referring to smschulz's comment that this system seems to be a bit much for what I'll be using it for. The SSD's I have, so I just have to work with them as best I can. Smile

As for the video card, I think I've seen where I don't need the "power" of a GTX 1070/1080...yeah...that's a lot of $$$. So I found an ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 Ti that will seem to fit the bill with 4GB RAM. And thanks for the tip about the RAM speed. I currently have 24GB of G.SKILL Ripjaws Series RAM that I hope will be compatible with that processor...

https://www.newegg.com/Product...Item=N82E16820231359

I've got some bigger fish to fry this weekend before I can go on a shopping spree, but I'll be all over Newegg next week.

Thanks for the replies, y'all!!