SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jumpy Screen Since iOS Upgrade
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jumpy Screen Since iOS Upgrade Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
At risk of breaking forum rules by posting an issue already touched on (by me) in another thread, I really want to know the following:

Has anyone else besides me experienced a suddenly “jumpy” touchscreen since upgrading to iOS12?

If not, I need to know it’s just me and will take my phone in for service. Thanks!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4550 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Describe “jumpy.”

I’ve noticed on my iPhone a significant increase in typos since upgrading to iOS 12.

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Freakin’ jumps all over when trying to scroll or zoom on screens... if I try to zoom in on my locale in Alabama on my weather app, next thing I know I’m looking at Ottowa freakin’ Canada!!!

That’s just one example...

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4550 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Mine hasn't been jumpy. But it does lock up the phone screen after a call. I cant use the phone function at all. I cant scroll through the phone, I cant go to recent calls. I have to re-boot the phone to get phone functionality back, after each and every phone call.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I haven't had either of those problems and I'm guessing my wife hasn't, either (or I would have heard about it).

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
You didn't mention which iPhone. If you're using one of the 6-series or a SE, your particular phones hardware may just be too worn out to handle iOS 12, even though those phones are still supported by the new OS.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't see that on mine. It's an Iphone SE. No issues with the upgrade.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
You didn't mention which iPhone. If you're using one of the 6-series or a CS, your particular phones hardware may just be too worn out to handle iOS 12, ...

Ours are iPhone 6S'. I just fired-up Apple Maps, pinch-zoomed in and out, scrolled all the way over to about 45 minutes drive time east of here and zoomed-in on a friend's street, etc.

Was as smooth as silk, as well as immediately and positively responsive.

I've also fired-up weather radar several times since the upgrade. Also worked smoothly, pinch-zooming and scrolling.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I was trying to convey that his particular phone may have just been used to the point where the hardware might be at a point where it can't handle the new iOS even though that generation of phone is supposed to be fine with it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Tried to recalibrate the touch screen yet?

ETA - this suggestion was from the iphone using wife. I don't think you can do it without nuking and paving first

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
No troubles on any devices in the house (6, 7, 7+, or 8+).

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Battery life is at least half of what it was.
My screen is not jumpy but it does frequently get stuck when I rotate the screen now.
I have to double click the home button and swipe close all the apps to get it back to working.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

your particular phones hardware may just be too worn out
"Worn out?" Seriously?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was trying to convey that his particular phone may have just been used to the point where the hardware might be at a point ...

Solid state hardware doesn't get "worn." It fails. It can become intermittent. But it doesn't get "old, tired and slow."

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Battery life is at least half of what it was.
My screen is not jumpy but it does frequently get stuck when I rotate the screen now.
I have to double click the home button and swipe close all the apps to get it back to working.

As in my reply to Leemur: Unless the battery health indicates poor health I'd give it a few days. Sometimes battery runtime suffers for a few days to a week after a major OS upgrade.

As for the other issues: I assume you're rebooted it.

In extreme cases it's sometimes been necessary to do a Factory Reset. Rare for iPhones or iPads that's necessary, though.

If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I’ve got the X and upgraded last night, so far zero issues. I’m not sure why but I’m glad GrayKey will no longer work on it. It’s not like they’d ever have a reason to look at my phone but now they can’t so it doesn’t matter.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Exactly! I have an ancient iPhone 4 that still serves me well as a music-only player, and it works just fine; they don’t “wear out”, they either work or they fail!

And for the person who asked, I’m currently using an 18-month old SE with very light use, so no way it should be having issues from age.
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

your particular phones hardware may just be too worn out
"Worn out?" Seriously?

Bill R.
North Alabama

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I did a "soft reset" this afternoon (holding down the power key and home key simultaneously for 10 seconds), and that SEEMS to have fixed the problem. Will know for sure after I've used it a bit more as it wasn't jumpy ALL the time...

Bill R.
North Alabama

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Well, I was wrong. Sucker is worse than ever now and almost unust times!!!

It easily takes me a dozen tries to type ONE post using my phone because I’ll get double characters, completely incorrect characters from what I entered, and the screen jumps all OVER the place while scrolling! So, it’s off to the Apple store I go this weekend to see if they can fix it. Mad

Bill R.
North Alabama

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is happening to mine too, of late, and I haven’t done the update. I also notice that, at times, there’s a delay between my hitting a key when I type, and the letter appearing. I’ll hit the key a couple more times (thinking I missed it) and all of a sudden I get 3 of whatever character I have been selecting.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post