SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    College Athlete Shoots Hoops During National Anthem
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

College Athlete Shoots Hoops During National Anthem Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Samir met on Nov. 2 with basketball coach Brady Trenkle, who told Samir he was no longer on the team. He was given a plane ticket back to his hometown of Philadelphia.
Why did they waste the money on a plane ticket? A bus ticket would have been more than adequate.

The only waste was that the ticket wasn't for an over seas flight. Wink

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The only thing Rasool is sorry for is that his insightful and well thought-out protest didn't work out the way he thought it would.

Universities are filled with students who are too stupid to be in universities.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
He was given a plane ticket back to his hometown of Philadelphia.

Well, at least they didn't pretend Samir was at KSU to get an education.....

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
With rights come responsibilities.
I believe the team reserves the right to remove any player for any reason.
A team must work together. Mr. Freedom Of Expression apparently isn't part of that.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
The only thing Rasool is sorry for is that his insightful and well thought-out protest didn't work out the way he thought it would.

Yeah, this was premeditated on the part of Rasool. He probably thought the school, like so many others, would cave and support him. But he did this with intent. Being courtside while he was supposed to be in the locker room, then going and shooting hoops at the time the anthem was still going on. Wonder how he'd like it if people showed up in his mosque during prayer time and started playing ball during that time? And I'd bet dollars to donuts that when confronted, said punk told Mr. Howard to go autocopulate and get out of his face.
Once back in Philly, all his homies are probably slapping him on the back and talking about how he showed whitey.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8350 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Mr. Howard.

The muslim POS shouldn't just be kicked off the team but kicked out of school.

Also, just as importantly no one who is an American should be patronizing anything that has players that cannot be trusted to come out and stand for the anthem.

Staying in the locker room because you are a bunch of clowns is as disrespectful as kneeling or playing with a bouncy ball.

Screw them.

Posts: 659 | Registered: June 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stray Round:
Staying in the locker room because you are a bunch of clowns is as disrespectful as kneeling or playing with a bouncy ball.

Screw them.
If they are not going to stand to show respect for the symbol of our country and our freedom, it is probably better that they stay out of sight in the locker room.

I agree with you 110% when you say "Screw them."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Hope the NCAA gets a clue from the NFL and nips this in the bud. I would assume that taking a scholarship away is easier than firing a union player.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
This activity will likely continue on all levels until such a time that a Conservative billionaire starts putting out the money to fund protests of the NCAA, the NFL, the ACLU, and all of the others that passively support this type of behavior.

That is the only way.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
If I were a Booster member, I'd be piiiiiiiiiiissed!!

As Krazeehorse stated, fortunately it's much easier to control this recalcitrant behavior at the collegiate level, as you have those Boosters and Alumni that could potentially cease and desist all monies and contributions should the administration NOT make an effort to get control of this crap...and fast.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6346 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SAC trained killer
Picture of Ricardokid11
posted Hide Post
Fuck you Samir Mad , and the goat you rode in on!

" May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am".

Posts: 2083 | Location: Glen Allen, VA. | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Hope the NCAA gets a clue from the NFL and nips this in the bud. I would assume that taking a scholarship away is easier than firing a union player.

The NCAA has never had a clue. They are as liberal as they come. They will support black lives matter, they are anti-gun, and will support any anti-flag sentiment.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The man who confronted the anthem protestor has been booted out of the booster club despite being a member for 32 years.

The college's attorney sent a real douchey letter (see bolded part):
quote:
Fan booted from college booster club for defending national anthem

A 74-year-old basketball fan was booted from a community college booster club after he confronted an athlete who was shooting hoops during the national anthem.

Jim Howard, of Garden City, Kansas, had been a member of the Garden City Community College booster club for 32 years.

His ouster is the result of an incident that occurred during the basketball team’s season-opener on Nov. 1.

While the rest of the team was inside the locker room, a player - Rasool Samir - came onto the court and began shooting hoops during the national anthem.

Mr. Howard was furious over the blatant display of disrespect and came out of the stands at the conclusion of the anthem and had words with the athlete.

“I told him if you don’t respect the flag, get out of this gym. Get off the floor and get out of the gym and he proceeded to tell me he didn’t have to,” Mr. Howard told the Todd Starnes Show. “At least respect the people that paid for your scholarship to get you on this campus – like myself and everyone else in that gym.”

A campus police officer separated the pair – ordering Mr. Howard back to his seat and Mr. Samir off the court.

The Garden City Telegram obtained a copy of a letter written by the college’s attorney – noting “a decision may subsequently be made by the appropriate prosecutor whether battery, assault or disorderly conduct charges should be filed” against Mr. Howard.

He says there was no physical contact – just a close-contact, heated conversation.

It’s ironic that a fan who was defending the national anthem could face disorderly conduct charges while the player who disrupted the national anthem does not.

As for 19-year-old Mr. Samir – he’s no longer on the basketball team – and it’s not quite clear whether he was kicked off the team or if he resigned.

Neither the school, its athletic department nor the booster club returned my messages seeking comment.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Kansas has already taken sides – sending a letter to the community college demanding to know why Mr. Samir is no longer on the team.

“Samir was engaged in protected First Amendment activity when he declined to observe the national anthem,” the ACLU wrote in a letter to the school. “Moreover, Samir’s objection was motivated by his religious beliefs and thus, was protected on free speech exercise grounds.’

If that’s the case, why didn’t Mr. Samir simply stay inside the locker room until after the national anthem had concluded? Why didn’t he follow the coach’s directive to stay inside the locker room?

“This was definitely an ‘in your face’ move. He knew exactly what he was doing because he was waiting for it to happen,’ Mr. Howard told me.

As for now, Mr. Howard has not faced any criminal charges for defending the national anthem. However, should he be arrested, I told him I would be honored to post his bail.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
God bless people like Mr. Howard!!!
quote:
“He refrained from participating in the national anthem because he is a Muslim and his faith prohibits acts of reverence to anything but God,” the ACLU wrote in a letter to the school.

So now they play the religion card? Was this his first game EVER?
How convenient.
Fuck the ACLU and this mooselimb douche nozzle.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Moreover, Samir’s objection was motivated by his religious beliefs and thus, was protected on free speech exercise grounds.’

so we can anticipate recognition the rest of the ball team can choose to associate as part of their own protected rights?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
“He refrained from participating in the national anthem because he is a Muslim and his faith prohibits acts of reverence to anything but God,” the ACLU wrote in a letter to the school.

So now they play the religion card? Was this his first game EVER?
How convenient.
Fuck the ACLU and this mooselimb douche nozzle.

Isn't this the same ACLU that has sued many schools because their players would go out on the field and pray before a game?

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8350 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

He didn't 'refrain' from anything. He left his team and went out by himself in an act of protest against the Anthem.

refrain
[ri-freyn]
verb (used without object)
to abstain from an impulse to say or do something (often followed by from):
I refrained from telling him what I thought.

Nice try ACLU.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
Rasool Samir

Rasool Samir looks angry.
Perhaps he's angry because he's "entitled" to so much more than he's being given. Anger fuels resentment... and leads to violence.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
The man who confronted the anthem protestor has been booted out of the booster club despite being a member for 32 years.

The college's attorney sent a real douchey letter (see bolded part):

That is incredible. How the hell do they think this will play out for them? Hint - check out the NFL as you're watching sponsors/boosters scatter from their support.

AD contact info

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post