SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interior Designers please step in...need software suggestion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interior Designers please step in...need software suggestion Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted
OK...this is for a dear friend of mine who has been furnishing small projects over the past 5+ years. She works with contractors who are building senior assisted living complexes to furnish and decorate the "common areas" including the office furnishings. She is embarking on her largest project EVER...a 3-story, 300+ unit assisted living complex where she will be furnishing and decorating the common areas, office space, guest areas, game room, hallways, etc. She will not...NOT...be responsible for any kind of medical furnishings such as hospital beds, medicine cabinets, etc., or for furnishing the individual units, as the tenant would bring their own furnishings.

So with that background, she came to me asking advice about any kind of Interior Design Software I might know about. Not being in the biz and having been out of IT for over 13 years, I just don't have any good guidance. She's seen a package called "Chief Architect" (that's what the builders are using), but she would essentially have to manually re-build the entire plans of the structure one line at a time before adding any furnishings, colors, etc. to the plans.

So what she would like to get (if there is such a thing) is a user-friendly software package that will import the building plans/HCAD drawings from the file she has in Dropbox (PDF, I presume) and then add her representations for paint colors, textiles, area rugs, ceiling tiles, window treatments, art, furniture, etc., etc. to the imported drawings. That would keep her from having to recreate the wheel in terms of the buildings plans themselves.

As always, any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter is an Interior Designer who has done a lot of hospital / clinic design work, including the new Univ of IA Children's Hospital. She, and most pros (including architects), use Revit. Priced in the 4 figures though. She has never heard of "Chief Architect" so she didn't know if Revit would import files from that program. She said Google Sketch Up is a pretty good program with a lot of capabilities, but likely won't import files.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about the subject......But a quick search turned up some Revit alternatives.
https://alternativeto.net/software/autodesk-revit/

Posts: 4409 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
YIKES!! Eek That's a little pricey! But thanks for the heads up on Rivet. I'm thinking that package would be a little overkill for what my friend's needs are. I was looking at some programs yesterday that were $100-ish...of course you get what you pay for, right?

Thanks again...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chief Architect

Good stuff, it is what I use.
Like any program of this type it requires a learning curve but not bad.
There are several levels of this program that can suit many needs or as your need grows.
I use the Professional version and even that is overblown for my needs for general home remodeling.
Recommend it. Cool

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Does the pro version of CA have a feature that would allow my friend to import an existing CAD drawing into the program and then she could start loading/adding her designs, furniture layouts, colors, etc. into that file/drawing?