SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cell Phone Insurance? Don't.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cell Phone Insurance? Don't. Login/Join 
posted
We have never been one for add on warranty plans and the like. But with our sons, cell phone damage and accidents were of sufficient frequency that with the last phone purchase we got insurance through the cell phone provider.

#2 Son bought an unlocked (therefore at full price) phone in 2015 and last month, the phone suffered water damage, making unusable.
Start the claim process. $75.00 deductible, and the insurance company offers a 2013 model, worth less than $200.00. With the deductible, original phone cost, and amount of insurance paid over the last 24 months, the net value received via insurance was about 1/3 of the total cash outlay. While you think that you're protecting value of your investment,thee insurance is only covering a technically equivalent product, hence the offer of the older phone.

Unsatisfied, we went back to the cell phone provider and stated our case for something better or different. Their first reaction is that they don't deal with this issue, the insurance company does. We politely disagreed, asking for a supervisor/management type. Sympathetic, but hold to the line that insurance replaces technically equivalent, not necessarily value equivalent. They did offer to help us work through the claim process. The cell phone store contacted the insurance company to discuss. Through this effort, the deductible was waived, and the phone offered and accepted was a 2017 model (android) at rough value of $200.00. We accepted, possible we could have pressed harder and gotten a little more in value, but don't think we would get to totally restored. When the phone gets here, we'll see.

We'll cancel the insurance next month. Knowing now how the process works, it ain't worth the effort.

Didn't mention the cell provider, the cell phone store reported that this insurance provider works with all the cell phone companies.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BGULL:
Didn't mention the cell provider, the cell phone store reported that this insurance provider works with all the cell phone companies.
The cell carrier is not all that important, but which insurance company is it?

No need to worry about liability / slander etc. if you're speaking facts. Much like Consumer Reports, a bad review, naming names, is OK if factual. The information might be useful to others, in terms of which insurance company to avoid.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
A better option; let the kid replace their own cell phone if it gets damaged or go without.
I've found that approach to almost anything to be much more effective.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yeah. cell phone insurance is a giant crock.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
All insurance, on every depreciating asset, has a break even point. If you break your phone a week after you got it, insurance is clearly worth it. And always, if you care enough, read the fine print. The company I've used sends a refurbished phone of the exact same model as the one you currently own.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
A better option; let the kid replace their own cell phone if it gets damaged or go without.
I've found that approach to almost anything to be much more effective.

My son did buy the original phone, and he did buy a lesser phone while traveling, until he returned home. WE just pay for the service/insurance for the time being(#1 son pays us, so they stay under the grandfathered data plan). #2 will also start paying when he returns to the states after studying abroad.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by BGULL:
The cell carrier is not all that important, but which insurance company is it?

No need to worry about liability / slander etc. if you're speaking facts. Much like Consumer Reports, a bad review, naming names, is OK if factual. The information might be useful to others, in terms of which insurance company to avoid.

I'm not sure which insurance carrier, that detail wasn't critical to me since everyone else dealt with that. I only got involved when we went to the carrier (ATT), as the main owner of the overall account, then they did all the talking contact with the insurance carrier.

Bill Gullette

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Im stuck with iphones. They are the least shitty smart phones for my needs.

The damn things are expensive enough to make it worth it. Ive had two of them replaced. Im writing this on a beat up refurb that refuses to die.

Of course I may have just jinxed it.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Let me guess, Asurion?

VZW just sent me an email about their "new" plan that covers me "no matter what".

Yeah, let me tell you where you can put that Verizon.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Hah, I feel your pain. When I got my first smartphone, I looked at insurance. I figured if I was going to lay down $700 or so on a phone I could easily drop, I should have some coverage. Then I looked at the plans available and changed my mind. It was $15 a month for insurance with a $250 deductible, and like you said, they would only be protecting an "equivalent" phone. I figure the break even point was something like 9 months if you factor in depreciation. No thanks.

Statistically insurance companies always need to make more from you than they pay out over the long run, but I think that is ridiculous.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I've used the insurance a couple of times without the pain that you're describing, BUT...

It's always going to be a refurbished phone. I've yet to get one that was 100%. Generally it was the Bluetooth radio that was fubar. I had a really hard time with Android phones lasting anymore than about 18 months. Seemed every one I had started acting wonky at 18 months. Very replacement looked good, connected to the network fine, but couldn't even begin to connect to any of my Bluetooth devices. The last time I threw up my hands and went with the Apple offering. After a full 3 1/2 years, it still functions perfectly. I haven't run into any issues getting it to update the iOS or anything. I will say the battery seems to be showing it's age, but hey it still stay charged for 3 days, so I'm good. There won't be anymore insurance on my next one.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
If you buy a refurbed or used phone to begin with, you save $100-200 per phone. After you do that 2 or 3 times, you have saved enough money to set aside to "self-insure."

Using this method of self insuring, I've saved $15 a month over the past 10 years, or roughly $1800 dollars on insurance costs, yet still being able to replace 2 or 3 phones that have broken or gotten lost.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Some are better than others.

A better plan is to not trade in your old phone. That's your insurance.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep your old phone as instant back up insurance.

Broke my iphone 6 plus (lawnmower), only lost a week of stuff when i restored the last backup to my old iphone 6. i buy my phones direct from apple and never used insurance. i'm generally good to my phones.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
AppleCare for iPhones is pretty good.

My first iPhone, a 3GS, started to get a crack in the bezel, took it to Apple Store and walked out with a brand new 3GS.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I believe most carriers use assurion.

I had a very unpleasant experience with them about 8 years ago. I've refused to be scammed into the cell phone insurance racket again.

Verizon felt bad about assurion screwing me over...and actually did make things right after the fact.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

Can you feel it now? Big Grin

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Let me guess, Asurion?

VZW just sent me an email about their "new" plan that covers me "no matter what".

RMD

Yeah, bunch of useless bull. After a couple of years of having that insurance on my wife's iPhone she cracked her screen. Let's see if insurance will cover it. Sure. For an $80 deductible. How about you blow me.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Not busting on you, but a lesson we ALL need to start to learn... Read the Fucking Contract.

I'm getting very good at it at work, and it has me much more interested in my personal ones when the sales guy puts it in front of me.

Posts: 11383 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
AppleCare for iPhones is pretty good.

My first iPhone, a 3GS, started to get a crack in the bezel, took it to Apple Store and walked out with a brand new 3GS.

I dropped my $1k IPhone off my motorcycle and apple replaced it for a total cost of $100. I was satisfied and would use it again.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post