SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need some advice on a employer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some advice on a employer Login/Join 
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted
My daughter's boyfriend works in construction building pole barns houses e.t.c. his boss/ owner from what I hear is a total Jerk, but today I think he crossed the line and physically pushed him on the job site. and threatened to fire him for not prioritizing what even that means.

I told my daughter that he should call the police, if he has a witness or at least contact the state employment division.

what are your thoughts?

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with you. File the report and take it up with the labor board. Abusive people only get worse if you enable them.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Not there, didn't see it, but...

Back in the stone age, when I worked construction, a little physical contact was to be expected. Over-reacting to it may not work in his favor.

IMHO, how to react depends on HOW physical it was and whether or not a pattern has been established.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The kid needs to handle it himself.
He needs to determine if it is a "real" physical danger or if it just a snowflake interpretation of authority assaulting his "safe space".
Could be anything in between, I'd stay out of it and let him handle it.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The construction owner shoving an employee may become a he-said-they-said argument. Police may not think an "assault" took place. He should be either looking for a new job or figuring out how to better communicate with the boss.

Prioritizing is doing things in a specific order. Put the sheet rock in the garage before working on window trim because it is going to rain, that sort of thing.

I start water boiling for coffee before feeding the cat. I've got my priorities straight. Big Grin

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Call the cops and he no longer has a job and likely becomes black listed in that field, never to find a job again.

Junior needs to put his big boy pants on, and learn how to handle his own adult business.

There is a LOT of pushing, shoving, yelling, getting into faces, in the construction business.

So is his boss beating his ass, or disciplining an employee that isn't up to par?

I'd tell junior to handle his business and be an adult. If his boss is beating his ass, then he should be an adult and not let that happen anymore, by removing himself from the situation, and perhaps getting witnesses/video and the police involved. If junior is just getting his little feelings hurt, then well....

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
He should deal with it. Men can handle disagreements without calling the law.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
The young man needs to learn to deal with this on his own. I have been in the construction business for 45 years. It might not be right but they will either work it out or duke it out. It really is that simple.

Posts: 789 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
PHPaul and Angus the Kid pretty much covered my thoughts on the issue. Personally I try to avoid getting sucked into other people’s drama because they tend to overemphasize what the other guy did while minimizing their own contributions toward the conflict.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I assume this boyfriend is an adult....?

Time for him to grow up a lot, IMO.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Calling the police seems like a good way to ensure you'll be looking for another job - right or wrong.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I would not work for a guy who legitimately assaulted me. But I would not call the police over it unless I truly feared for my life.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i worked construction late 70s thru mid 80s you need to have a thick skin i have had some asshole bosses and probably deserved every kick in the butt i got i have learned the most from the bosses that are hardest on me

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
While we don't know all the details, he needs to determine if he wants to work there any longer. Pursuing this in any way will surely mean the end of his employment.

Does he want to find new employment and send a message? By all means seek legal council and move forward with legal action. If he likes the job, going up against the owner is never a win.

I'm an HR Director and deal with maintenance/construction workers all the time. Thick skin is needed as they tend to deal with issues direct and to the point. The behavior isn't acceptable but you need to pick your battles. Is this one he wants to die fighting?

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
While I dont think calling the police is warranted, I'd find another job asap, quit on pay day and never look back.

Economy is to good to work for an asshole.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He will figure it out. I worked in construction and played football. Pushing and shoving is part of it. I am not saying it is right, just the way it is.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
leave the job now, we are going in too fall and he is gonna get laid off any way ,
use the next 10 days to get another job.

the boss does not have him on any kind of "grooming for manager" list.

if the same thing happens on the next two jobs , then,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
One of the best bosses I have ever had threw a radio at me.
Not too terribly long after that he promoted me to supervisor.
A year or so later wrote one of the best reference letters ever written. Got that job and been there 13 years, can hang in there another 12 I will retire.

Grand scheme of things got a radio thrown at me ohh well.

Maybe the boy needs to check his priorities. There is a reason the boss is the boss. A tough boss is not always a bad boss.

Don’t know the full context of the shove but guessing it was just that a shove and not much more.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
There are two choices when the boss is a dick like that. Shove the motherfucker back (believe it or not, sometimes these types like and respect it, but don't count on it), or vote with your feet and find a new job. Notice I didn't say the police or the labor board.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Don't lay your hands on someone like that, and don't allow it either... There's an enormous difference between someone shoving you out of the way of immediate danger or the like (totally fine) and someone who simply thinks that's an acceptable communication method between employer and employee in 2018 (it's not). Use your words, people. We're grown...

In this scenario, I'd find another job first - then decide whatever else I might do. If it was egregious enough I'd probably make formal complaints and all that, but at the end of the day (figurative day) I'd either leave or push back if it happens again, as it can't be allowed a second time, IMO. One way or another that needs to be the last time he does that to them...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post