SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The P230 raffle is being cancelled
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The P230 raffle is being cancelled Login/Join 
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Maybe somebody adopted the forum as their SJW project.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
Para,

That's a shame.

Thank you for all you do, and that goes for arc and the other admins as well.

Please do not return the funds to me. I would like to join the others in contributing to our fine home.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I would like to donate as well.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I was debating about the raffle because I don't particularly want the P230 but was going to enter anyway, I just didn't get around to it in time.

If there was a way that I could contribute to the Forum's maintenance, I'd appreciate it. I use the classified on occasion and greatly enjoy many of the conversations. Anyway, this sucks and I'm sorry I waited and I'm mad at the asshat who had to get involved in something this harmless.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
For the person who tried to shut this down: do you see? You didn't stop anything. Nope. Just watch, bub. You fanned the flames. It's far from over, I promise.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If that sorry POS thinks for one minute that what he/she/it did will hurt Para, Arc and the rest of the Sig Forum, he/she/it is sadly mistaken.......it might affect a lesser person/forum, but not this one!!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
For the person who tried to shut this down: do you see? You didn't stop anything. Nope. Just watch, bub. You fanned the flames. It's far from over, I promise.

And you know they are checking in here too hoping to celebrate a victory while reading about how sad we all are.

I hope it stings asshole. The gun will still end up in a members hands and more money will be donated. Suck it buttercup.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
By the way, online raffles are a morass of conflicting rules . . .

"Are Online Raffles Legal? We get that question all the time.

Online Raffle and Raffles in general are governed by state laws. YOU need to consult with your state laws as we cannot advise you. Here is some basic information we have found, but it is far from complete and is NOT LEGAL ADVICE.

A few States, such as Utah and Hawaii have very strict laws. 45 States allow online raffles from what we can tell. Most states have various requirements regarding online raffles with the most common ones being the raffle must be for a non-profit charitable organization. Many states require that the raffle provide a way for someone to enter with no purchase necessary.

Our understanding in Florida, for example, the raffle has to be for a charity, the name and address of the charity must be listed in the raffle rules, the date of the drawing must be posted and there must be a way for someone to enter without making a donation.

So in the sample rules, Chance2Win has provided for all of these requirements,and the charity will accept self addressed stamp envelope with 1 per entry to meet the no purchase necessary requirement. The Sample Rules are simply a guideline, you need to check with your governing organization to make sure your charity online raffle meets the requirements.
" LINK

So much ambiguity. Probably the better part of valor was to just cancel in light of having to navigate all the myriad rules from state to state.

The link has state by state examples of what the admins were up against.

On second thought, maybe someone was trying to save the forum from a sticky wicket. No tellin.'

I just found this Penal code section for Californa as I was considering this thread, for instance: "320.5.2 (2) A raffle may not be operated or conducted in any manner over the Internet, nor may raffle tickets be sold, traded, or redeemed over the Internet……"

Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Plum pitiful.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14005 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Yeah, this is garbage.

Anyone who wishes to donate, email me and I will send you the address.

Folks need to email me and confirm whether or not they'd like their money back.

If you'd like your money back, please confirm your name, address, and forum name so I know I've got it all in one place.

Thanks

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would imagine that the winner of the raffle will need to receive the dollar value of the gun in actual cash and then purchase the gun as private sale.

That's typically how 'win a gun' style contests work.

Lottery/raffle laws are tricky.

Or maybe the 'winner' gets the ability to purchase the pistol for $1.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lame. Some folks need to get a life.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Scurvy, Tubetone, Guys. We aren't doing a raffle, there's not going to be a winner, or any gymnastics to skirt any laws. Please let it go.

Folks feel free to email me about donating or whether or not they'd like their funds back.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well. The twat that pulled this shit couldn't have fucked up more. Failed to keep the gun out of the hands of one of the forums fine members but also single handedly raised a ton more operating cash for the forum itself.

Way to go dummy, sure hope you don't suck this bad at the rest of your pathetic little life.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Please let it go.

We know the raffle was cancelled. The thread title says so. That was background information on the ambiguous rules from state to state.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
With all due respect, do you think now is a great time to discuss ambiguous state raffle laws. Do me a solid and drop it.

Arc.

Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
"anonymous complaint" about the raffle

One thing to consider (although I'm sure you already have): Sigforum is a public forum. You are not required to have an account or be logged in to read it, including the threads about the raffles. So it wasn't necessarily a member that complained. Perhaps it was just some bored SJW, who thinks "GUNS BAD" and has too much time on their hands, that found the raffle thread and decided they had found a way to mess with one of the more prominent gun-related forums on the web by logging a BS complaint and wasting your time.

My thoughts exactly.

I did not enter the raffle because I have chosen to full time RV with no physical address. So I could not have the gun transferred to me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
With all due respect, do you think now is a great time to discuss ambiguous state raffle laws. Do me a solid and drop it.

Information is not a discussion. Please let it go.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, before this blows up- Tubetone, I would be very interested to hear what you have to say about this, but let's wait until later in this thread. Thank you for your input, and thanks to Scurvy as well, for his input. However, Tubetone, I do have to say that if you think someone did this as a favor to the forum, I couldn't disagree more.

To everyone else, thank you for your support. I figured that this would make you guys mad and I don't blame you one bit for feeling that way.

And, yes, if it was the intent of the "informant" to defeat the raffle, they failed, didn't they? This has united the forum and it looks like this will generate far more revenue for the forum than if the raffle had been left to complete.

So, yes, while I did not wish for this to become a general fund-raising effort, I will accept donations from forum members, for the purpose of sticking this in the stool pigeon's face. However, in order for this to be a complete defeat of Mr. Anonymous, we will need to be able to figure a method of holding entirely legal raffles/drawings/bake sales/what have you. So, I do want input from all forum members who can help us devise a method with which we can hold these occasional raffles without breaking any state of Federal laws.

If you wish to contribute to the forum, please email arcwelder for his address. I'll need to discuss this with lbj, as this is an unexpected turn in what was supposed to be a raffle which generated more fun than revenue. Thanks to all of you for your support, both financial and moral. Heartfelt thanks to all. Smile

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont think the "complaint" was actually about the raffle.
I think it was more about how we feel as a group and how we openly express our beliefs and convictions concerning our rights and the things that are going on in our country right now.
Mr. Anonymous just couldnt stand that.
But news flash for Anonymous: You have changed nothing.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post