SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sciatic Nerve Pain down leg and right butt...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sciatic Nerve Pain down leg and right butt... Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
Not continuous but after I am up walking, standing, lifting things at the Flea Market, just general motions common to me. It can hurt like a son of a gun. I am useing Ibuprofen as it works for me. Not happy about having to take it though. Did I mention it can hurt ? Big Grin. I must be getting older now. I am going to try walking and stretch excercises to see if it helps. I cant afford to be in pain as I need to work a job which requires that I have a good range of motions. Has anyone ever dealt with this ? This nerve pain thing is new to me. Any advice ? Thanks folks.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Stretches. Esp. hamstrings. Ab crunches.

There's an exercise I've found particularly effective. I'll see if I can find a tutorial. (I'd hate to try to describe it and have you get it wrong, possibly doing more harm than good.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Aww, thank you. I will check back this thread in the morning. I sure got some learning to do.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
From fiancée:

http://finefitday.com/2014/04/...lieve-back-pain.html

She adds "Those except for wag the tail and stability ball."

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Check to see if you’re sitting on your wallet for any period of time. A habit I’ve gotten into is to remove my wallet once home or change into shorts, etc. so I’m not sitting on it. If your wallet is thick try eliminating some of the excess contents.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Suffered similar a year and a half ago.
Got to the point where I couldn’t stand for more than 5 minutes and had to sit/sleep in funky positions.

Doc narrowed it down to myofascia pain of glute medeus and piriformis.

They did dry needling, a cortisone shot, and therapy with a few different stretches.

If it’s the piriformis, this stretch really helped me:

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I experienced a severe and prolonged bout of sciatica some 25+ years ago. I went through various physical therapy regimens, but ultimately settled on one exercise. While lying on my back in bed, I draw up both knees as much as I can (I’m very flexible in that regard now), and hold the position for a minute or so. After the pain finally went away following its first development, I continued doing that every morning in all the years since and was never troubled again.

Until.

About a year or so I stopped the exercise in the morning and more or less forgot about it. A few weeks ago the sciatica returned. I started the stretching again, and after a couple of weeks the pain started easing and then went away entirely. I don’t remember to do it every night, but it’s something I’m trying to get back into the habit of again.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Here ya go: How To Get A Deep Piriformis Stretch To Get Rid of Sciatica, Hip & Lower Back Pain

I do the Supine Piriformis Stretch shown on that page. It's similar to the one C-Dubs posted.

The neat thing about that one is I can do it in my recliner, while watching TV, any time the mood, or the sciatica, strikes Smile

I also work out and otherwise stretch regularly. (Well, did. I've fallen off the wagon the last couple months. Need to get back to it.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
As others said, stretching exercises specific to that area will help.

I went to a chiropractor to get mine cured. To show me how tight I was, she had me sit, crossed my left leg over the right with my left heel over my right knee. She had me try to touch my nose to my left knee. The gap was measured by my left hand with my left pinky touching the knee and my thumb touching my nose. Did the same with the right knee over the left leg. The gap was my hand with the pinky on the knee and my thumb outstretched plus another 5" gap.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
WiTouch Pro Wireless Bluetooth TENS - Includes 6 Gel Pads (3 Pairs of gel pads) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076..._apa_i_dskiBb603M8R4

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Chiropractor and take your wallet out of your back pocket.

Works for me.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the links and various exercises.

I have been dealing with it for years.

Some of it is from the gym/running and I finally listened and took my wallet out of my pocket at work and while Driving. My father has been telling me that for years.

I know my flexibility has suffered over the years, and I know these exercises will help.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
From experience as others have said a wallet in the back pocket especially when driving!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Been keeping my wallet in my front pocket for many years, it is much better that way.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Do you wear soft-insoled shoes with some cushioning? I had similar pain until I got rid of my hard-soled boots.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
my symptoms disappeared in three weeks with the exercises/stretching.

That is where I would start.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I have this bookmarked. Ten minutes a day does wonders.

https://www.active.com/fitness...-for-lower-back-pain

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suffered terribly from sciatica for many years. It was worse than when I broke my back mountain biking. Eventually I changed careers and became an upper cervical chiropractor, utilizing the NUCCA system.

This is what causes sciatica, in over 90% of people:
1. Upper cervical misalignment sending incorrect signals to the brain, the brain then causing the paraspinal muscles to twist the spine. This causes the lumbar vertebraes to become out of alignment. Over a period of time the discs break down due to unfair stresses on the vertebraes.
2. When the discs become thinner, they bulge and the nerve roots are squeezed between bone and the bulging discs.
3. What makes it worse is lots of sitting.
4. Reaching over picking things up, especially when twisted.
5. Stress causing the person to grind their teeth, which temporally pulls C1 out of alignment.
6. Wallet in the back pocket.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
For me, I’ve found my gun belt causes it sometimes. I was born with virtually no butt, so I tend to wear my gun belt pretty tight. Apparently, that compresses my sciatic nerve. Loosing up my belt a notch will generally fix it. Of course I end up hitching my pants a lot more.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
By golly if the people in this Forum havn't learned it, they sure as heck have lived it. What a great bunch of folks. I am going to do the stretch excercises as I noticed when it hurts bad enough, I look for a place to sit, I squat down and it stretches me out some and gives temporary relief. Nice to know at 59 years old I am still a pup. When it hurts, ipe ipe ipe... Big Grin