SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Driving thru Atlanta on Sunday
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driving thru Atlanta on Sunday Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
Mrs. Mike, the Tomminator and I will be driving fm TX to my rents in the western NC mountains over Sunday and returning on the Friday after Thanksgiving....

Those of you in the know, we are going to be on I20 eastbound and usually go straight thru town onto I85 E until we get near Gainesville to turn northeasterly....

Is there any crazy construction that I should be aware of and should avoid....I’ve actually never taken 285 to go around (if that’s really a thing)....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I'm not aware of any construction on 85 but I haven't been on it in a while anyway.

Drive safe!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the Georgia DOT traffic tracker site. You might look into it as you get near for updated information.

http://www.511ga.org/

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
20 to 85 you should be fine, other than the normal dumbassery of other drivers. The only major thing going on around 285 is on the north side with the new bridgework for SR400. Even that isnt too bad either.

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^ never done it as google always showed it red, I guess due to work...

I’ll have Mrs. Mike check it as we get closer

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
If you don’t have it, I highly recommend the Waze app. It takes traffic into account in route planning, and the network of users is amazing, providing real time info on accidents and road hazards. If there’s a piece of tire on the road, someone will have reported it.

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I occasionally have to go through it on 75 including last Sunday. Usually a delay despite being a weekend. If you can time it to be early morning on a weekend day I would.
Last Sunday was an hour plus delay for a “rolling “ slowdown. I have come to loathe that portion of the trip.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Straight through shouldn't be a problem on a Sunday. If you are in the regular lanes remember to be in the left hand lanes when I85 and I75 split. You have to be in the right hand lanes to go left and the left hand lanes to go right which always seems backwards to me.

I don't know the time difference between the bypass and straight through from I20 to I85. There was one time traveling south on I-75 while towing our 5th wheel that I was next to a guy towing a travel trailer. He went straight through and I took the bypass. I wound up merging right next to him on I75 when the roads came back together.

Safe trip.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
If you don’t have it, I highly recommend the Waze app. It takes traffic into account in route planning, and the network of users is amazing, providing real time info on accidents and road hazards. If there’s a piece of tire on the road, someone will have reported it.

^^^^ This.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've lived in the area for decades and would go the 285 route unless GPS shows a traffic problem.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:

^^^^ This.

^^^^^ This again

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Waze is the way to go. I use it extensively on road trips.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KurtZ66
posted Hide Post
Atlanta shouldn't be a problem other than normal horrific traffic. But, if you're taking 85N into NC, 85 sucks pretty much all the way through SC.

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

— Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Posts: 413 | Location: GA | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^^we get off 85 at Suwannee/Gainesville and go into Franklin on 441...

Just downloaded the Waze app....hope it works

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Atlanta traffic is not bad right now, in general, compared to non-Covid times. I almost always go straight through town instead of 285 because the semis are what makes 285 so awful.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Covid, Sunday, no sports, mild weather, all you have to worry about are the boneheads (of which we have more than our share), accidents (again), fire and collapsed bridges, law enforcement activity, potholes, road debris, once even had a plane crash on I285. Think that about covers it.

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:
Covid, Sunday, no sports, mild weather, all you have to worry about are the boneheads (of which we have more than our share), accidents (again), fire and collapsed bridges, law enforcement activity, potholes, road debris, once even had a plane crash on I285. Think that about covers it.

Forgot Presidents/ VPs visiting, but we got that out of the way today.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Yeah, don't bother with 285 on a Sunday.

I've driven "through" Atlanta 4 times in the last 2 weeks on 85. If you're going up 985 then you'll be fine. most of the BS on 85 I experienced is further North up 85 past your cutoff.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Two things....

First, Thank you guys, the waze app saved me from sitting in traffic for n hour today
(Bridge crossing the Mississippi River is down to one lane)

Second, we saw a big Trump caravan driving south on I35 south of Waco this morning....trucks with Trump flags and the American flag. It was heartwarming.