SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2017 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowl Game on Pg 14
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowl Game on Pg 14 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
All I can say is wow. Big upsets in the Big 10. Just got back from Lincoln. That team, and fans for that matter, is missing the fire they once had.

I know this is a Big 10 thread but, dang Iowa State!!! Come on. Also thought OSU was going to pull it off against OU.

Dang I love college

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
So is the Big out of the playoffs now?

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
I know this is a Big 10 thread but, dang Iowa State!!!

I was pulling for Iowa State to beat WVU too.

Iowa State is also tied to the playoff committee's dissing of Wisconsin. TCU lost to Iowa State who lost to Iowa, and TCU was ranked higher than Wisconsin. Between this weekend and if Wisconsin takes care of business next weekend then it should help their ranking.

BTW, if I were a Big Ten commissioner, Iowa State is one of the schools that would be on my short list for expanding to 16 to 20 teams. Located in the midwest (aka where every Big Ten school should reside), existing rivalry with Iowa, and a good engineering school like most of the Big Ten.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:
So is the Big out of the playoffs now?
No, our only hope is undefeated Wisconsin. If they run the table regular season and win the Big Ten championship then they should be in the playoffs.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
I know this is a Big 10 thread but, dang Iowa State!!!

I was pulling for Iowa State to beat WVU too.

Iowa State is also tied to the playoff committee's dissing of Wisconsin. TCU lost to Iowa State who lost to Iowa, and TCU was ranked higher than Wisconsin. Between this weekend and if Wisconsin takes care of business next weekend then it should help their ranking.

BTW, if I were a Big Ten commissioner, Iowa State is one of the schools that would be on my short list for expanding to 16 to 20 teams. Located in the midwest (aka where every Big Ten school should reside), existing rivalry with Iowa, and a good engineering school like most of the Big Ten.

I never thought of ISU going to the Big 10. Hmmmm... maybe NU should have stayed in the Big 12.

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Kudos to PSU head coach James Franklin.

‘We are going to lose with class’: Penn State’s James Franklin chases players for postgame handshake

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Kudos to PSU head coach James Franklin.

‘We are going to lose with class’: Penn State’s James Franklin chases players for postgame handshake

That is class. The way it should be. Like in the tunnel at ISU “Honor before victory”.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Bad news for Purdue. Blough, our QB, is out for the season due to the cheap shot from Illinois after his knee was already down.
quote:
Right leg injury sidelines Purdue QB David Blough for season
1:35 PM CT Associated Press

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- Purdue junior quarterback David Blough is out for the rest of the season following a severe injury to his right leg during a win against Illinois over the weekend.

Blough suffered a dislocated ankle, a small break in the fibula and ligament damage with 12:27 remaining in Saturday's 29-10 victory. Coach Jeff Brohm said Blough will have surgery on Tuesday and will be out six to nine months.

"When the medical staff got out there, they put the ankle back in and were able to make him a little more comfortable, but it's going to require surgery," Brohm said Monday. "He will miss spring ball, but hopefully he will be back by the summer. I think he can recover from it."

Hit on a scramble by safety Stanley Green at the Illinois 8-yard line, Blough was carted off the field and taken to a hospital by ambulance, pumping his fist on the cart ride.

"I went out there, and he actually was very calm," Brohm said. "He was under control and just wanted us to go win the game. For him to say that and want that exemplifies what he is truly all about. We're going to miss having him the rest of the year."

At the time Brohm was 16 of 24 for 194 yards in his second consecutive start ahead of sophomore Elijah Sindelar, who will try to guide Purdue (4-5, 2-4 Big Ten) to at least two wins in its final three games in a bid to become bowl eligible.

The Boilermakers play at Northwestern, at Iowa and then at home against rival Indiana on Nov. 25. Sindelar will be backed up by redshirt freshman Jared Sparks, who also plays wide receiver.

Brohm has used Blough and Sindelar in a two-quarterback system almost all year and he said it pays off having two guys ready.

Sindelar will enter the Northwestern game 80 of 150 for 939 yards, seven touchdowns and five interceptions. Blough finishes his season 102 of 157 for 1,103 yards, nine touchdowns and four interceptions.

Led by a vastly improved defense that held Illinois to 91 total yards and no points during the final 30 minutes, Purdue snapped a three-game skid on Saturday. The Boilers will likely rely more heavily on its stable of running backs, who rushed 44 times for 209 yards against Illinois, tight ends Cole Herdman and Brycen Hopkins, and the defense led by linebacker Ja'Whaun Bentley, who made 12 tackles including 2.5 sacks on Saturday.

"After our run game gets going, they have to focus on both more," Hopkins said. "Now, we have to forget about the Illinois game and don't let it blow up our heads because we're not where we want to be. We just have to move on to Northwestern."

Bentley said he loves the way the Purdue defense is playing.

"The closer teams get to the end zone, it actually gets hard for them because guys are a lot tighter, we close to the line of scrimmage, and we have an aggressive style." Bentley said.

Brohm said his players have tried to fight through its struggles this season. Purdue is still in the mix to land a bowl bid with the road trip looming against the Wildcats (6-3, 4-2).

"Sometimes, it wasn't pretty, but we got better as the game went on," Brohm said. "Certain guys stepped up, and it was a big win for us."

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I said this before I coached at the collegiate level, when I was there, after I left, and I'll say it again now that I'm back at that level.

I don't mind rough play and hard hits. I don't even mind players getting hurt, its part of the game. I hate to see any player (either team) get injured, even more so if the injury is season or career ending.

Best wishes to the Purdue QB.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Week 11:
7 games today including a game with implications on whether or not the Big Ten has a representative in the playoffs and another game with Big Ten east champion implications:
  • #12 MSU @ #13 tOSU at 11:00 CST on Fox - Depending on which odds service you believe, the Buckeyes are 16 to 17.5 point favorites. Statistically, these two teams are pretty even, but the Sparties have the hottest QB in the college football the past 2 weeks and tOSU is coming off a crushing loss. Like IA's Stanley, I think Lewerke is going to torch the Buckeyes' pass defense. Buckeyes win but fail to cover in a close game.
  • Rutgers @ #14 PSU at 11:00 CST on BTN - The Nittany Lions are unanimously 31 point favorites. PSU is coming off two heartbreaking losses whereas Rutgers is playing better than expected football since their early October bye. I think this game will be closer than Vegas is forecasting, and I'm going with PSU to win without covering.
  • IU @ IL at 11:00 CST on BTN - Depending on which odds service you believe, the Hosers are 9.5 to 10 point favorites. Their defenses are pretty even (polite way of saying 2 of the 3 worst defenses in the Big Ten), but IU is much better on offense. IU wins and covers.
  • NE @ MN at 11:00 CST on FS1 - Depending on which odds service you believe, the Gophers are 1.5 to 2 point favorites. Pretty even on offense, but MN is better on defense. The flaw in the statistics are that MN's offense is one dimensional (run only) and if you can shut that down you've beat 'em and they aren't capable of playing catch up. I like PJ Fleck a lot and like to see him win, but I think the Cornhuskers shutdown the Gophers rushing, and pull off the upset.
  • UofM @ MD at 2:30 CST on BTN - The Wolverines are unanimously 17 point favorites. UofM's offense has caught their stride, and the Terps have the worst defense in the Big Ten. UofM wins and easily covers.
  • #20 IA @ #8 WI at 2:30 CST on ABC - The Badgers are unanimously 11.5 point favorites. The Hawkeyes shocked the world last week, and need to get up again for another big game. Meanwhile, the Badgers are playing solid football, but are getting crapped on by the media and the playoff committee so this is their opportunity to make a big statement to the playoff committee. As far as common opponents, the Badgers beat NWU but the Hawkeyes lost, and the Hawkeyes' margin of victory over the hapless Illini was larger. Badgers win but fail to cover.
  • Purdue @ #25 NWU at 6:00 CST on ESPN2 - The Wildcats are unanimously 4 point favorites. Both had some let downs this season, but the Wildcats' were against much better opponents and are playing better football. As far as common opponents, NWU beat the Cornhuskers in OT but Purdue lost by 1 point with 14 seconds left, and both teams margin of loss to the Badgers was pretty much the same. Purdue needs to win 2 of the next 3 to be bowl eligible, but this weekend isn't it. NWU wins and covers.

•  
    SIGforum Official
    Eye Doc
    Picture of bcereuss
    posted Hide Post
    Jekyll and Hyde Buckeyes. Hmmm...

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    The Huskers used to play on Saturday too. I miss that

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of C-Dubs
    posted Hide Post
    Hornibrook didn't disappoint...I was thinking he'd throw at least 2 interceptions. He covered that in 1st half quarter.
    Luckily, the Badgers aren't solely reliant on him.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: C-Dubs,

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    4-H Shooting
    Sports Instructor
    Picture of Zecpull
    posted Hide Post
    The Buckeyes are back.... That was fun to watch. But it sure made last week hurt even more. Especially with all the loses at the top

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
    > because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
    NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
    Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Go ahead punk, make my day
    posted Hide Post
    It's one of those Saturdays, the "mighty" are stumbling and falling. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Week 11 Wrap-up:
    Lots of upsets in the Top 25 today, but none of them were in the Big Ten. Here is how things played out:
  • #12 MSU @ #13 tOSU at 11:00 CST on Fox - Boy was I wrong about this being a close game. Total domination by the Buckeyes in their 45 point margin of victory. With all of the upsets today it was a great time to blow out a Top 20 team and move up the rankings.
  • Rutgers @ #14 PSU at 11:00 CST on BTN - I was barely right on PSU winning without covering (won by 29 and spread was 31). Rutgers lead 6-0 with 11:21 left in 2nd quarter, but midway through the 2nd quarter it was all PSU. Nice palate cleanser after back to back tough losses to tOSU and MSU.
  • IU @ IL at 11:00 CST on BTN - Depending on which odds service you believe (IU was 9.5 to 10 point favorites) I was correct on IU winning and covering.
  • NE @ MN at 11:00 CST on FS1 - I was shocked at this outcome. MN's rushing attack rolled over Nebraska's rush defense and won by 33 in what was expected to be a tight game. MN now has 5 wins, but will have a hard time getting the 6th since they still face NWU and WI.
  • UofM @ MD at 2:30 CST on BTN - The Wolverines won and easily covered as anticipated. The big question is how bad is Higdon's ankle injury (he left the game before half-time)? They didn't need Higdon to beat the Terps, but they most definitely need him facing the Badgers and Buckeyes.
  • #20 IA @ #8 WI at 2:30 CST on ABC - I was correct on the Badgers winning but wrong on failing to cover (11.5 point spread and they won by 24). With all of the upsets today it was a great time to blow out a Top 20 team and move up the rankings.
  • Purdue @ #25 NWU at 6:00 CST on ESPN2 - As anticipated NWU won and covered. Purdue could move the ball pretty well passing with their back-up QB, but just plain couldn't rush. Purdue missed 1 field goal, and got stuffed on 4th and goal. Purdue has to win their last 2 to be bowl eligible and 1 of the games is on the road in IA. On the other side, NWU has 7 wins and has a real good chance at a 9 win season with its last 2 games being MN and IL.

Kudos:
  • tOSU's defense. Lewerke was the hottest QB in college football the previous 2 weeks and they held him to 131 yards passing with 2 INTs and zero TDs. They also held the Sparties to 64 yards rushing and caused a fumble.
  • tOSU's QB Barrett. He had 183 yards passing, 2 passing TDs (needs to fix the 2 INTs), rushed for 55 yards, and 2 rushing TDs.
  • PSU's QB McSorley. He had 214 yards passing, 2 passing TDs, 0 INTs, 44 yards rushing, and 1 rushing TD.
  • IU's QB Lagow. He had 289 yards passing and 2 passing TDs (1 INT).
  • MN's offensive line. They had both a QB and a RB rush for over 100 yards behind their blocking.
  • MN's QB Croft. He had 183 yards rushing and 3 rushing TDs. Also, threw for 105 yards with 0 INTs.
  • UofM's QB Peters. He isn't putting up big numbers (145 yards passing with 2 TDs), but he is managing a nearly flawless game. He now has 4 games under his belt and has thrown 0 INTs and 0 fumbles. What a change from O'Korn.
  • WI's freshmand sensation Taylor. Rushed for 157 today, but once again fumbled.
  • WI's defense. Last week, Stanley passed for 5 TDs, but this week he was held to 41 yards passing with 0 TDs and an INT. Last week, the Hawkeyes had 243 yards rushing with a TD, but this week were held to 34 yards rushing.
  • IA's DB Josh Jackson. He had 2 pick 6's for 95 yards which accounted for all 14 of IA's points.
  • NWU's QB Thorson. He had 296 yards passing with 1 TD and 0 INTs.

•  
    posted Hide Post
    All kudos and props to the Buckeyes from an MSU grad. I knew my team wasn't great this year but as always (for the mosy part) found ways to pull out a win. State has had a hell of a year considering what a tough year last year and post season they had, and they have played OSU very tough the past half dozen years. Not this year. OSU played a hell of a game.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Good to see you posting sprg03-A3. You've been a regular in the annual Big Ten thread for years.

The Karmanator
    Picture of Chance
    posted Hide Post
    I really enjoyed the MN Nebraska game. MN just outplayed Nebraska in all phases. They seemed like they wanted it much more.

Rooting for them to beat Northwestern and become bowl eligible - cause they aren't going to be Wisconsin. Smile

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    Good to see you posting sprg03-A3. You've been a regular in the annual Big Ten thread for years.

Thanks! Been away from college sports for a while. Kinda tough being a State grad for the past several months. Awful record last season was bad enough, although that stuff happens. The off field BS last year was way above & beyond. Tack on the B-ball shoe scandal just breaking, of which my school appears to be a victim and not a beneficiary, and the ridiculous salaries and amount of $$ spent on waterfalls and such and it tends to sour you. Beyond that, life happens....

But I thought I would chime in and give credit where it is due. The Buckeyes were a machine this past weekend.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post