SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2017 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowl Game on Pg 14
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowl Game on Pg 14 Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The Big Ten Network has a really nice article on Joe Tiller. I didn't link it as it has 3 videos about him that can't be embedded:
  • What other Big Ten coaches say about him
  • Tiller interview on his legacy
  • Videos about former players.

If you're on FB, Purdue's Football page has 2 nice videos about Tiller

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Wrap-up:
  • MD @ MN at noon EDT on Fox Sports 1 - Looks like I missed watching a good back and forth game, and didn't give UCF enough credit for beating the Terps.
  • NWU @ #10 WI at noon EDT on ABC - The undefeated Badgers gave up 14 points during garbage time and failed to cover the spread (it was 31-10 with 5 min left in 4th quarter).
  • IU @ #4 PSU at 3:30 EDT on BTN - As expected the undefeated Nittany Lions handily beat the Hosers and the spread. Also, Barkley added to his Heisman highlight reel.
  • IA @ MSU at 4:00 EDT on Fox - Wasn't as good of game as you would expect by the score, and the game had 10 punts. Iowa's O just couldn't get going thanks to the Sparty's D. On the other side of the ball, Iowa's D not quite as successfully did the same to the Sparty's O.
  • #11 tOSU @ Rut at 7:30 EDT on BTN - As expected, the Buckeyes thumped Rutgers in a lopsided game. The O put up 628 yards and 56 points, and the D pitched a shutout while holding the Scarlet Knights to 209 yards.

Kudos:
  • tOSU's Barrett threw for 275 yards and 3 TDs (0 INTs), and rushed for another 89 yards.
  • tOSU's Dixon caught 3 passes totaling 115 yards and 2 TDs.
  • Rutgers punter averaged 46.7 yards on his 9 punts. Always nice to have a good punter when your offense is awful.
  • The Cornhuskers's QB, Lee, had 246 yards passing and 3 TDs with zero INTs.
  • NWU's D for for holding the Badgers to 109 yards rushing.
  • PSU's Barkley for throwing 1 TD, rushing for 56 yards, receiving for 51 yards, and a 98 yard kick return for a TD.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Week 6:
    Lots of Big Ten football this weekend including a couple rivalry games, IU has a non-conference game, and Rutgers has a bye week.
  • IL @ IA at Noon EDT on BTN - The Hawkeyes are 17 to 17.5 point favorites depending on which odd service you believe. IMO, it should be a pretty boring game as the Illini have difficulty scoring and even more difficulty stopping their opponent from scoring. Hawkeyes win and cover.
  • PSU @ NWU at Noon EDT on ABC - Nittany Lions are 13.5 to 14.5 point favorites depending on which odd service you believe. NWU has won the last two match-ups, but PSU will get their revenge. PSU wins without covering.
  • MN @ Purdue at 3:30 EDT on ESPN2 - The Boilermakers are unanimously 4 point favorites. Whomever wins this game will be considered by many to be the 2nd best team in the Big Ten West. Purdue wins and covers.
  • Charleston So. @ IU at 3:30 EDT on BTN - Oddsmakers don't even care enough to post odds. I don't say this often, but I hope IU wins.
  • MD @ tOSU at 4:00 EDT on ESPN2 - the Buckeyes are unanimously 30.5 point favorites. It looks like Vegas believes the Terps team that got whooped by UCF will show up. I think the team that bounced back to beat MN shows up. tOSU wins but doesn't cover.
  • MSU @ UofM at 7:30 EDT on ABC - the Wolverines are 10 to 10.5 point favorites depending on which odd service you believe. IMO, this is the 2nd best rivalry game in the Big Ten, and often past wins/losses and statistics don't matter. Little brother puts up a fight, but in the 4th quarter Big brother pulls away to win and cover.
  • WI @ NE at 8:00 EDT on BTN - the Badgers are 10.5 to 11 point favorites depending on which odd service you believe. Nebraska showed signs of life the past two weeks against the two worst teams in the Big Tens so I don't think it'll transfer to this week. The Badgers chew 'em up and cover.

•  
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    WI @ NE at 8:00 EDT on BTN - the Badgers are 10.5 to 11 point favorites depending on which odd service you believe. Nebraska showed signs of life the past two weeks against the two worst teams in the Big Tens so I don't think it'll transfer to this week. The Badgers chew 'em up and cover.

I wish I had the confidence to predict the upset, but given Nebraska's performances against the stronger teams in the Conference, the best I can hope for is that they just play 'em tough.

The Husker D has played well the last 14 quarters, but the offense is down to two RBs with Bryant out and (it appears) Wilbon out too. Ozigbo has looked good, he's their power runner, but they'll need to put pressure on the edges against Wisconsin. If they can't move the ball on the ground, look for Lee to give up a couple more INTs. If they can muster some semblance of balance on offense, the defense should keep it close.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    The Badgers are vulnerable as NWU gave us a glimpse of last week by shutting down their run. If someone can do that and generate more offense than the Wildcats then it’ll be a huge upset. Nebraska isn’t the team to do it, but in Week 12 they face someone who can (aka UofM).

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    The MN @ Purdue game has been sloppy so far in the first half. Purdue is damn lucky to only be down 14-6 since they've turned the ball over 4 times (2 INT {one in the red zone}, 2 fumble) and the Gophers have 14 points from the turnovers. It was real close to being 21-6, but Purdue's D knocked the ball out of MN's QB's hands in the red zone.

On a positive note, Purdue is paying tribute to their recently deceased winningest coach in history, Joe Tiller, by wearing uniforms from the Tiller era, a Joe Tiller sticker on their helmet, and the athletic department put out a classy tribute video:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/DlXISbqCx8M

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Week 6:
    Some really good football games today!
  • IL @ IA at Noon EDT on BTN - As predicted, the Hawkeyes won and covered in a lopsided game.
  • PSU @ NWU at Noon EDT on ABC - Nittany Lions won in a lopsided victory which surprised me as I mistakenly thought NWU's D was better than that. Congrats to PSU as they control their own destiny in the Big Ten East.
  • MN @ Purdue at 3:30 EDT on ESPN2 - It was a tale of two halves. As previously posted, the first half was sloppy, but the second half Purdue turned it around (e.g. zero 2nd half turnovers). Purdue was up 16-14 when a big thunderstorm caused a 90 minute game delay and ESPN pushed the restart over to ESPN News. Purdue went up 24-17 with 2:26 left and sealed the game with a pick six 69 seconds later. As predicted, Purdue won and covered.
  • Charleston So. @ IU at 3:30 EDT on BTN - IU won a game they were supposed to win.
  • MD @ tOSU at 4:00 EDT on ESPN2 - I was wrong about tOSU winning without covering the huge spread. The Buckeyes racked up 62 points on the Terps and won by 48. The bigger tOSU news is that their only loss, Oklahoma, got beat by Iowa State today and it'll reflect on the Buckeyes ratings.
  • MSU @ UofM at 7:30 EDT on ABC - this was an exciting game, and will likely become an ESPN instant classic. I was wrong on both winner and spread. Sparties have a fun bus ride home, and Dantonio is now 8-3 vs UofM.
  • WI @ NE at 8:00 EDT on BTN - I didn't manage to watch any of this game, but the outcome was expected (Badgers win and cover).

Kudos:
  • Purdue's Coach Brohm for his first Big Ten win
  • Purdue's back-up QB Sindelar for successfully running the 2 minute drill to come from behind. He also threw for 248 yards, 1 TD, and 0 INTs. He'll be the starter next week.
  • IU QB Ramsey for 321 yards passing with 2 TDs plus a rushing TD
  • IU D for holding their cream puff opponent to 134 total yards
  • tOSU QB Barrett for 261 yards passing with 3 TDs plus a rushing TD
  • tOSU D for holding the Terps O to 66 total yards and a stingy 1.2 yards per carry
  • The Sparty's D for forcing 5 turnovers and holding the #7 team to 10 points.
  • The Badger's RB Taylor for 249 yards rushing, 2 TDs, and 9.96 yards per carry.

•  
    Picture of C-Dubs
    posted Hide Post
    I watched most of the Wisconsin Nebraska game.
    First half was pretty exciting. Nebraska marched down the field to about the 20, but then they suffered a pick six. 7-0
    Wisconsin marched down the field, ended up with a field goal. 10-0
    Nebraska had an 80-yard completion for touchdown. 10-7
    First play from scrimmage on Wisconsin's next drive, they have a 75 yard run for touchdown. 17-7
    Nebraska manages to get a field goal before the end of the half. 17-10

First play from scrimmage in Wisconsin's second possession of second half, hornibrook throws pick 6. All tied 17-17
    Wisconsin gets ball, drives 93 yards on next possession.
    Rest of the game, it's all Wisconsin. 21 unanswered points.

So, the first 35 minutes of the game were pretty exciting. Then, the ground and pound took over.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    Lincoln Journal sportswriter, Steven Sipple.

quote:
    [Nebraska head coach, Mike] Riley liked some of the progress his team made with its run game and pass protection.

"It wasn't good enough progress against that team, a team that was really ready to do what they do really well," the coach said.

"Their consistency with the run in that fourth quarter ..." Riley said, his voice trailing.

"You know what that looked like," he said.

Yeah, we know what it looked like. We used to see it all the time around here.

Sipple expressed a common view in Husker Nation. We keep hearing that Nebraska cannot again be a national power playing the same way they played from the 70s through the 90s. Wisconsin, on the foundation laid by ex-Husker player, Barry Alvarez, beat Nebraska with big, hostile O-linemen and a punishing ground game.

Lots of Husker faithful calling for Nebraska to fire Coach Riley and go get former Husker QB, Scott Frost. He may well be great, but he won't run the offense Wisconsin hammered Nebraska with last night. I guess we'll see

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Week 7:
    Lots of Big Ten football this weekend with 100% conference games and two bye weeks (PSU & IA). Here are the matchups (NOTE: I've switched to Central Time as I kept switching to games an hour late):
  • #17 UofM at IU at 11:00 AM CDT on ABC - The Wolverines are 7.5 to 8 point favorites depending on which odds service you believe. UofM have had a week to get angrier and angrier about losing to little brother and I think Michigan's D is going to take it out on IU, but UofM's O will bumble along putting up enough points to win and cover.
  • Rutgers at IL at 11:00 AM CDT on BTN - Depending on which odds service you believe the Illini are 2.5 to 3 point favorites in the battle for the worst team in the Big Ten (A nice change of pace Purdue not being a contestant this year). Illini win and cover.
  • NWU at MD at 2:30 PM CDT on ESPN2 - The Wildcats are unanimously 3 point favorites. Never know whether jeckyl or hyde will show up for either of these teams. One week, the Terps O is a high powered and the next they look like the 3rd string whereas the Wildcats D can shutdown the Badgers rush one week and the next get pounded by the Nittany Lions. I'm going with NWU to win and cover.
  • Purdue at WI at 2:30 PM CDT on BTN - The Badgers are unanimously 17 point favorites. Purdue showed they could move the ball and score against UofM, and I think they'll do the same versus the WI. Purdue's D has been pretty good this year, and it'll be a test to see if they can shutdown the rush and make Hornibrook beat 'em with his arm. Badgers win but fail to cover.
  • tOSU at NE at 6:30 PM CDT on Fox Sports 1 - The Buckeyes are unanimously 24.5 point favorites. This one gets ugly and tOSU covers the spread by half-time. The only question is whether Lee throws more pick 6's than Barrett throws TDs?
  • MSU at MN at 7:00 PM CDT on BTN - the Sparties are 4 to 4.5 point favorites depending on which odds service you believe. Sparties win but don't cover.

•  
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    Here's a little factoid. The 24.5 point spread for Ohio State/Nebraska is the largest against the Huskers in 60 years! The last time Nebraska was at least a 24.5 underdog was 1957

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    ^^ WOW! ^^

That can't be sitting well with the Husker faithful

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Week 7 Wrap-up:
    Lots of Big Ten football this weekend with 100% conference games and two bye weeks (PSU & IA). Here are the matchups (NOTE: I've switched to Central Time as I kept switching to games an hour late):
  • #17 UofM at IU at 11:00 AM CDT on ABC - It took OT for the Wolverines to put away the Hoosiers. I was wrong by a measely point on Michigan covering.
  • Rutgers at IL at 11:00 AM CDT on BTN - I'm really surprised by Rutgers coming out on top. This officially makes Illinois the worst team in the Big Ten.
  • NWU at MD at 2:30 PM CDT on ESPN2 - Only saw highlights of this game. The Wildcats won by 16 and easily covered the spread.
  • Purdue at WI at 2:30 PM CDT on BTN - I was correct on the Badgers winning but failing to cover. Purdue had plenty of opportunities in the red zone, but missed FGs and turned it over several times. Here is a play that pretty much epitomizes the Boilermakers scoring woes - they block a punt and the Purdue defender is off to the races with nothing but end zone in front of him, but instead injures his hamstring and falls down in the red zone. The O proceeds to lose yards due to penalties and the kicker misses the field goal.
  • tOSU at NE at 6:30 PM CDT on Fox Sports 1 - As predicted, this one got ugly and tOSU covered the enormous spread by half-time.
  • MSU at MN at 7:00 PM CDT on BTN - As predicted, the Sparties won but didn't cover. I caught the end of this game, and it was a good finish.

Kudos:
  • UofM's Higdon had 200 yards rushing and 3 TDs.
  • NWU's Jackson had 171 yards rushing and 2 TDs.
  • MD's Moore had 210 yards receiving and 2 TDs
  • WI's Taylor had 219 yards rushing (3rd 200+ yard game of season) and 1 TD. His 4th quarter fumble in the red zone did keep Purdue mathematically alive.
  • Purdue's D held the #7 team to 17 points and forced 3 turnovers.
  • tOSU's Barret had 325 yards passing, 5 passing TDs, and 2 rushing TDs
  • NE's Speilman had 200 yards receiving and a TD
  • MSU's Scott had 194 yards rushing and 2 TDs

•  
    Picture of C-Dubs
    posted Hide Post
    I turned on the Badgers/Boilermakers game yesterday. It was on a commercial.
    So, I watched something else for about 5 minutes and then switched back to the game again...another commercial, grrr!
    Watch another channel for a few minutes and switch back to the game. Success at last! No commercial.

It was 1st quarter, and 14-0 Badgers at that point. I thought your prediction was completely erroneous. Smile

Then Hornibrook once again showed his true suckiness.

Kinda dismayed that Taylor coughed it up late in the game, and that he didn't hit the 1k yards in 1st 6 games. But oh well. Still a W.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Nebraska just announced hiring a new AD:
    quote:
    Nebraska tabs Moos to lead athletic department

PARKER GABRIEL Lincoln Journal Star Oct 15, 2017

Nebraska’s found its next athletic director, and the school convinced a man to leave his alma mater to take the job.

NU on Sunday afternoon hired Bill Moos away from Washington State to lead its athletic department, a swift move that comes less than four weeks after firing Shawn Eichorst from the same position and one day after the Huskers football team was blown out at home by Ohio State.

“Nebraska has secured a proven winner in Bill Moos to lead Husker Athletics into a new era of excellence,” UNL Chancellor Ronnie Green said in a news release. “It was clear that Bill stood out in a very competitive, tremendously gifted pool of candidates, not only because of his proven ability to lead programs to greatness, but because of his reputation for integrity in building and leading those programs.”

A 4 p.m. Sunday news conference has been set to introduce Moos as AD.

Moos agreed to a five-year contract with a base annual salary of $1 million, plus incentives. His first day on the job will be Oct. 23.

Moos, 67, leaves WSU after running its department for more than seven years. He has nearly two decades of experience at the helm of Pac-12 schools.

Before WSU, Moos was Oregon’s athletic director from 1995-2007.

“To lead one of the most storied and successful athletic programs in the nation is a true honor,” Moos said. “Nebraska is a very special place, known far and wide for its phenomenal fans, for doing things the right way, for supporting its students, honoring its athletic legacy and maintaining excellence in athletics success across the board. I am proud to help build upon these Husker traditions.”

Moos, a native of eastern Washington, has spent nearly his entire professional life in the Pacific Northwest. He began his athletics administration career at WSU in various roles — including two years running external operations as a top associate — before taking over as athletic director at the University of Montana in 1990.

Five years later — and six months before the Grizzlies won their first national championship in school history — he moved to Oregon, where he spent more than a decade helping build the Ducks toward the athletics power they are today.

He left UO because of a dispute with Nike founder and school megadonor Phil Knight and signed a 10-year noncompete that agreed he would not take an AD job West of the Mississippi River. The Washington native, though, found himself in Pullman, Washington, three years later and has been there since.

Between his tenures at Oregon and WSU, he reportedly worked on his family's ranch in Valleyford, Washington.

In 2012, he hired Mike Leach to run the Cougars’ football program. Leach owns a 35-35 record at WSU, but turned around a moribund program and led it to nine wins in 2015 and eight wins last fall. The Cougars were ranked No. 8 in the country and off to a 6-0 start this year before getting dominated, 37-3, by unranked California on Saturday.

Moos also hired men’s basketball coach Ernie Kent in 2014. Kent, who coached Oregon for 14 years, including many while Moos was there, finished 13-18 last season.

Moos made $776,000 in 2016, according to a database of Washington public employee salaries.

Now, Moos takes over a program in tumult. The Huskers lost to No. 9 Ohio State on Saturday night, 56-14, in the most lopsided home defeat since 1949.

Two-time All-American offensive lineman Dave Rimington has been serving as interim AD for the past three weeks, but now the heavy lifting begins.

The football team enters its bye week with new leadership in place and looking for a way to snap a two-game losing streak and reverse the course of an otherwise frustrating 3-4 start.

The loss dropped Mike Riley to 18-15 in his tenure here and 11-10 in Big Ten play.

Moos is certainly familiar with Riley. He was in charge at UO when Riley coached his first stint at Oregon State in 1997-98 and was still there for the first five years of Riley's return, beginning in 2003.

Eichorst was fired Sept. 21 and a news conference featuring NU system president Hank Bounds and University of Nebraska-Lincoln Chancellor Ronnie Green centered on the need to compete and generate on-field success.

Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    Read about the hire, of course. Never heard of him. That won't stop the Husker faithful from expressing their opinions--good and bad. I guess we'll see

No surprise to anyone following Todd's Big Ten thread, but Riley is done. Most likely he finishes out the year, but even that is not certain

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Speaking of firing a coach mid-season - Today is the one year anniversary of Purdue firing Coach Hazell.

Facts are stubborn things
    Picture of armedprof
    posted Hide Post
    I swear that Coach Riley looked bored as hell during the drubbing his team took Saturday night at the hands of the Buckeyes. It would seem that he is mailing it is until he is fired. I feel bad for the student athletes that could use coaching. Hopefully Nebraska will get a good young coach and once again be the team they have historically been. The Big 10 West needs Nebraska to be good.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    I swear that Coach Riley looked bored as hell during the drubbing his team took Saturday night...

Take your pick of "beaten," "resigned," "lethargic," I don't think bored though.

I was at this game. My brother and I sat in seats our folks first bought back in 1962 to begin Nebraska's sellout streak. My brother is a UNL alum (I'm not), who has been going to games since before mom and dad died.

There were a couple of things that occurred at that game that neither of us had ever seen before. Among Husker football traditions, is the release of helium-filled balloons by fans when Nebraska scores its first touchdown of the game.

They held onto them for a long time. Finally, well into the second quarter, the Huskers made their 2nd first down of the game. A smattering of balloons were released in the West stands. Soon, balloons were rising all over Memorial Stadium as the Husker faithful, now sarcastically cheered the first down.

BTW, speaking of first downs, Nebraska's defense (I refuse to call them "Blackshirts") gave up a record number of first downs at Memorial Stadium to Ohio State, by a big margin.

When Ohio State went up 35-0 late in the first half, the mass exodus began. Nebraska acted beaten from the beginning, just like the body language from Mike Riley illustrated. My brother and I were among those who left. I drove 500 miles to go to this game, but Nebraska wasn't laying it all out there on the field. Adding to it--miserable weather. Not terribly cold, but (I understand) winds up to 40 mph, and it sure felt cold. Never before had the stadium emptied like that at halftime.

I've read a lot of negative comments elsewhere about Nebraska football in general, its fans, coaching changes, etc. etc. etc. Lots of ignorance. Riley is a wonderful man and most Husker fans feel awful for him. Many, want him to have at least one more year. Most, feel it wouldn't make any difference. Someone said, "Every year that you keep a coach that you don't think will be successful, means two more years of mediocrity."

Bad dog!
    Picture of justjoe
    posted Hide Post
    Prediction for Saturday night: Penn State 24, Michigan 3.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post