SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2017 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowl Game on Pg 14
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowl Game on Pg 14 Login/Join 
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
The first half of the OSU IU game was quite interesting. IU's QB looked like a hero. Reality set in in the 3rd quarter and my Alam Mater put a proper spanking on the Hoosiers.

Indiana is not going to be a push over this year.

JT Barrett needs to react more and think less. He is spending too much time waiting on the WRs to get open.

Dobbins is going to be fun to watch. Great game for the true freshman.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
It looks to me like you either have some ringers in there, or the name should change to the Big 14.
Big Grin Third option. The following teams are still considered probationary members by most Big Ten fans: Big Grin
  • Penn State - joined in 1990
  • Nebraska - joined in 2011
  • Maryland - joined in 2014
  • Rutgers - joined in 2014

IMO, PSU can come off probation in 2020, but we should wait until 2044 before considering changing the Big Ten name Big Grin

In all seriousness, it's been referred to as the Big Ten since 1917 and it's a trademarked name with brand recognition.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bcereuss:
    Clare
    quote:
    Originally posted by Aquabird:
    OP so I get it that you are anti OSU, but what is the handcuff comment about?

Clarett, Lyle, Conley, Barrett, Washington...

You could pretty much put a list like that for most successful teams.
    Clarett never got arrested until he left OSU..actually until he left the NFL.

NRA Life Endowment member
    Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by bcereuss:
    Clare
    quote:
    OP so I get it that you are anti OSU, but what is the handcuff comment about?

Clarett, Lyle, Conley, Barrett, Washington...

You could pretty much put a list like that for most successful teams.
    Clarett never got arrested until he left OSU..actually until he left the NFL.

However, I just hate it when they recruit thugs or trouble makes. I was so glad to see Pryor move on, too bad he cost us a coach and wasted the seasons he played at OSU.

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    The 30 for 30 on Clarett and Jim Tressel was interesting to me.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Go Rutgers!!!!!

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
    The 30 for 30 on Clarett and Jim Tressel was interesting to me.

Yes saw that. He blamed OSU for his problems and it kinda blamed Tressel for not helping him.

I think in the end he might have realized that he alone is responsible for himself.

Pryor drove a NEW car and got another new one every six months. I heard that Tressel was set to lower the boom on him, but was told to look the other way.
    The part about Geiger turning on Clarett might be true. I could not see then paying for him to come home on a plane to go to a friends funeral who was killed in a drug deal.
    I wished they would have thrown Pryor out his first year.

Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    Didn't watch MD/TX, so I don't know if the Terps are much better than people thought, or if Texas is much worse. Nice win on the road either way.

No one has ever accused me of being a Michigan fan, but with 5:30 left in the game Michigan looks to be in control, and they look impressive. Hard to read Florida, they had 9 players suspended, so maybe they still have enough to contend in the East division of the SEC.

Arkansas State is a better team than you might think, with a 4-star QB that transferred from Oklahoma. I expect the first half will be close, then Nebraska pulls away in the second half--maybe beats them by 2 touchdowns.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Membership has its privileges
    Picture of P-220
    posted Hide Post
    Michigan looked stronger than what the score represented, IMO.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I believe in the
    principle of
    Due Process
    Picture of JALLEN
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TMats:
    Didn't watch MD/TX, so I don't know if the Terps are much better than people thought, or if Texas is much worse. Nice win on the road either way.

I watched. Pretty dismal. I didn't see anything to justify the ranking, and was surprised UT was ranked. Let 'em earn the ranking by winning a couple of games!

The 'horns looked neither tough nor smart. The QB seemed ordinary and a couple of times seemed worse than that.

Special teams were decent. How do you keep special teams on the field most of the game?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Coin Sniper
    Picture of Rightwire
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ronin1069:
    Being a Gopher and going thru too many coaches to name, I'm justifiably jaded. Hoping P.J. Fleck is more than speeches and hype about "Rowing the Boat."

Did you see what he did with WMU last season? Most people in Kalamazoo were very skeptical about Row the Boat for a while, until the team bought in and it worked.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rightwire:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ronin1069:
    Being a Gopher and going thru too many coaches to name, I'm justifiably jaded. Hoping P.J. Fleck is more than speeches and hype about "Rowing the Boat."

Did you see what he did with WMU last season? Most people in Kalamazoo were very skeptical about Row the Boat for a while, until the team bought in and it worked.
    I went to see WMU (Mom was an alumni) in the Cotton Bowl earlier this year, and Fleck had a very impressive team. They were a little spooked in the 1st quarter but held their own against a very good Wisconsin team the remaining 3 quarters.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    I watched. Pretty dismal. I didn't see anything to justify the ranking, and was surprised UT was ranked. Let 'em earn the ranking by winning a couple of games!

The 'horns looked neither tough nor smart. The QB seemed ordinary and a couple of times seemed worse than that.

Special teams were decent. How do you keep special teams on the field most of the game?

Yeah. Maybe they need to run the Wishbone again with Coach Royal.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    The Iowa offense looked pathetic but new quarterback seemed to get better as game went on.
    The defensive line and line backers were strong and the young defensive backs looked pretty good.
    Wyoming's quarterback was harassed most of the day.
    Iowa State next week.

Posts: 134 | Location: HENDERSON, NEVADA | Registered: December 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Victim of Life's
    Circumstances
    Picture of doublesharp
    posted Hide Post
    Louisville was lucky to get by Purdue. Jeff Brohm & family will have Boilermakers back on top before you know it.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Coin Sniper
    Picture of Rightwire
    posted Hide Post
    So quite a few have commented on how 'cheesy' it is for a BIG10 team to schedule a creampuff in their first game or two.

What about the creampuffs? What does it say about a small conference team scheduling a BIG10, SEC or PAC10 team in their first game of the season?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    So quite a few have commented on how 'cheesy' it is for a BIG10 team to schedule a creampuff in their first game or two.

What about the creampuffs? What does it say about a small conference team scheduling a BIG10, SEC or PAC10 team in their first game of the season?

It says they want the paycheck that playing a game in a stadium that seats 80,000, 90,000, 100,000 will bring to their athletic department.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TMats:
    quote:

It says they want the paycheck that playing a game in a stadium that seats 80,000, 90,000, 100,000 will bring to their athletic department.
    Sometimes it means they deserve a shot a big bowl game. For example, Western Michigan racked up two Big Ten wins last year, and they might earn another win this weekend.

Most of the time it means what TMats said.

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Week 2:
    Two big games today as well as a two rivalry games and one interesting game. I'm of course rooting for the Big Ten team in these 5 matchups as well as the cream puff games I won't go into:
  • #5 Oklahoma @ #2 tOSU at 7:30 EDT on ABC. The Buckeyes are 7 to 7.5 point favorites depending on which odds service you believe.
  • Nebraska @ Oregon at 4:30 EDT on Fox. The Cornhuskers are unanimously 12.5 point underdogs from the odds services.
  • Pittsburgh @ #4 PSU at 3:30 EDT on ABC. The Nittany Lions are 21 to 21.5 point favorites depending on which odds service you believe.
  • Iowa @ Iowa St at Noon EDT on ESPN. The Hawkeyes are unanimously 3.5 point favorites from the odds services.
  • WMU @ MSU at 3:30 EDT on BTN/BTN2. The Sparties are 2.5 to 7 point favorites depending on which odds service you believe.

Forgot Ohio played at Purdue yesterday so kudos to my Boilermakers for their first win in '17 and Coach Brohm for his first win (of hopefully many) wins at Purdue. Chalk it up to winning the games you are supposed to win.

•  
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    If I was a gambler, I would take Nebraska and the points. I'm not, so I'll just take them for the upset.