SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2017 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowl Game on Pg 14
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowl Game on Pg 14 Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
The Big Ten Season begins on Thursday, August 31st, so it’s time for the annual Sigforum Big Ten football thread.

Requests:
  • Keep this thread about the Big Ten teams & players, the weekend’s Big Ten match-ups and opponents, kudos for Big Ten players/coaches/administrators, and Big Ten conference champ predictions.
  • If you’re a fan of a team from another conference, join in for some good-natured ribbing when your team plays a Big Ten team. Otherwise, please start a thread for your favorite conference.
  • It’s just a game so let’s keep the ribbing good-natured.

Season Predictions:
  • The pundits are predicting my beloved Boilermakers to not finish last for the first time in a long time. First year head coach, Jeff Brohm, will have the team good enough to be better than the Illini.
  • Many pundits are predicting the Wal-Mart Wolverines will win the Big Ten Conference Championship and be in the playoffs. I like Harbaugh a lot, but I think it's too difficult with only returning 5 starters.
  • The October 28th tOSU and PSU match-up will decide the Eastern Conference.
  • The September 30th WI and NWU match-up will decide the Western Conference.
  • The Badgers and Buckeyes will be in the Big Ten Championship, and the Buckeyes will win.

Goodish natured ribbing:
  • Not So Pure Michigan: UofM Football

• Not So Pure Michigan: Michigan State Football

• Not So Pure Michigan: Wisconsin and Ohio

• Q: If you have a car containing a Buckeyes running back, a Buckeyes linebacker, and a Buckeyes defensive back, who is driving the car?
    A: The cop. In all seriousness, in order to be a contender for the playoffs the Buckeyes need to keep their players out of handcuffs and in the classroom.

Kudos:
  • Week 1 – Rutgers for scheduling Washington, Maryland for scheduling Texas, UofM for scheduling Florida, and my Boilermakers for scheduling Louisville. It takes cajones to schedule a real opponent week 1 instead of a cream puff.
  • Week 2 – tOSU for scheduling Oklahoma, and NE for scheduling Oregon. I’m a huge fan of scheduling real opponents prior to the Big Ten season and despise the practice of Power 5 conference teams playing cream puffs to boost their wins.
  • Week 3 – My Boilermakers for scheduling a SEC team (Missouri)
  • Week 4 – MSU for scheduling Yoder Dame and the Fighting Amish.

EDIT NOTES:
    1. Every week I change the title to give page # for this week's discussion of the games.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    The pundits are predicting my beloved Boilermakers to not finish last for the first time in a long time

I think the Fighting Illini will probably occupy that spot. Lovie though is supposedly doing his best. Their players are a little bigger than the students. They are already looking forward to basketball season.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I watched Coach Jeff B. Play in the state final high school game as a QB and the guy was a phenom in high school.
    He has a great mind for coaching QBs.

Yeah, personally I have not heard many predict UM to win the East. I do not think that will happen either. I am not a fan of Harbaugh at all.
    Not sure the Buckeyes will either. I watched their spring game and their offense was not very offensive and looked incredibly like last years lack luster performance. They lost Hooker and Powell to the NFL out of the defense secondary and lost their stud linebacker to the NFL, who tore his ACL in the first scrimmage. The good thing is they play PSU at Columbus, daughter has tickets, but Mich at Mich.

N.W. probably will not be near what they were last year after losing the players they did on offense especially their star WR, Carr.

NRA Life Endowment member
    Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Week 2 – tOSU for scheduling Oklahoma. I’m a huge fan of scheduling real opponents prior to the Big Ten season and despise the practice of Power 5 conference teams playing cream puffs to boost their wins.

Check me if I'm wrong but, isn't Nebraska playing Oregon, on the road, in week two?!? Top 25 in some polls, certainly not a "cream puff" in anyone's mind...right?

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Semper Fi - 1775
    Picture of Ronin1069
    posted Hide Post
    Being a Gopher and going thru too many coaches to name, I'm justifiably jaded. Hoping P.J. Fleck is more than speeches and hype about "Rowing the Boat."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12325 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Semper Fi - 1775
    Picture of Ronin1069
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Requests:
    Keep this thread about the Big Ten teams & players, the weekend’s Big Ten match-ups and opponents, kudos for Big Ten players/coaches/administrators, and Big Ten conference champ predictions.
    If you’re a fan of a team from another conference, join in for some good-natured ribbing when your team plays a Big Ten team. Otherwise, please start a thread for your favorite conference.
    It’s just a game so let’s keep the ribbing good-natured.

tatortodd tries to do this thread every year, and it seem like every year someone comes in from outside the Big Ten, goes beyond fun, and wrecks things. I'm just sayin', I'll report that stuff in a heartbeat to Para and/or Mods.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12325 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TMats:
    quote:
    Week 2 – tOSU for scheduling Oklahoma. I’m a huge fan of scheduling real opponents prior to the Big Ten season and despise the practice of Power 5 conference teams playing cream puffs to boost their wins.

Check me if I'm wrong but, isn't Nebraska playing Oregon, on the road, in week two?!? Top 25 in some polls, certainly not a "cream puff" in anyone's mind...right?
    Sorry. I missed it, and have edited my post.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I am an Iowa fan and this weekends game with Wyoming will be a real test for defensive backfield, best back suspended for the game and several others have little playing time.
    The Wyoming quarterback has the pros attention could be an interesting game.

Posts: 134 | Location: HENDERSON, NEVADA | Registered: December 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ronin1069:
    quote:
    Requests:
    Keep this thread about the Big Ten teams & players, the weekend’s Big Ten match-ups and opponents, kudos for Big Ten players/coaches/administrators, and Big Ten conference champ predictions.
    If you’re a fan of a team from another conference, join in for some good-natured ribbing when your team plays a Big Ten team. Otherwise, please start a thread for your favorite conference.
    It’s just a game so let’s keep the ribbing good-natured.

tatortodd tries to do this thread every year, and it seem like every year someone comes in from outside the Big Ten, goes beyond fun, and wrecks things. I'm just sayin', I'll report that stuff in a heartbeat to Para and/or Mods.
    Most years the silliness holds off until the Big Ten Championship, and occasionally even holds off until Jan 1st. tOSU and Urban tend to be the "objects of affection."

I've only used the report feature on one instance. The guy was already on Para's radar so acting up in the Big Ten thread was strike #2 (he was a douche and then ban hammer came pretty quickly afterward).

posted Hide Post
    OP so I get it that you are anti OSU, but what is the handcuff comment about?

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of mttaylor1066
    posted Hide Post
    What is the rationale for Big Ten conference game as the opener?

I mean, the Big Ten doesn't do anything that isn't about money these days.

So why are my Hoosiers being led to an early slaughter at the hands of nuts... I mean Buckeyes?

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1600 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    SIGforum Official
    Eye Doc
    Picture of bcereuss
    posted Hide Post
    Clare
    quote:
    Originally posted by Aquabird:

Clarett, Lyle, Conley, Barrett, Washington...

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by RFSALES:
    I am an Iowa fan and this weekends game with Wyoming will be a real test for defensive backfield, best back suspended for the game and several others have little playing time.

Yep. And watching Wyoming play in Lincoln they, like North Dakota State, come to play. I think the Hawks should be on their game and not skiff them off.

Oh..... go Rutgers!!!!!

Posts: 4054 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 357fuzz:
    quote:
    Originally posted by RFSALES:

Yep. And watching Wyoming play in Lincoln they, like North Dakota State, come to play. I think the Hawks should be on their game and not skiff them off.

Oh..... go Rutgers!!!!!

Go Pokes Big Grin Our son's alma mater

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Resident Undertaker
    Picture of BigCity
    posted Hide Post
    Well somebody has to say it.

Let's go Maryland!

It's the beginning of the season. Gotta think positive......

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I know it is early but Indiana seems to be holding their own against Ohio State.

Posts: 4054 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bcereuss:
    Clare
    quote:
    Originally posted by Aquabird:

Clarett, Lyle, Conley, Barrett, Washington...
    I'm far from anti-OSU and I root for them when they play anybody except Purdue. I made fun of UofM, MSU, Wisconsin, and tOSU just as I have done every year when starting the Big Ten thread. In fact, it's the exact same joke from the opening post in the '14, '15, and '16 thread.

posted Hide Post
    Uh, sorry. Go big ten, Have been to games at Purdue. Son went to Purdue BB camp when Gene Keady was there, good camp.

I had a Boss that graduated from Purdue. We also had a Ford Dealership run by Mike Pruett...until he ran it into the ground.
    I also had a boss who was married to Randy Cooper.. probably from way before your time, think he was older than I am, but he was a pretty good college football running back for Purdue.

Semper Fi - 1775
    Picture of Ronin1069
    posted Hide Post
    Gophers beat (won) vs. Buffalo. 17-7. An interception in the end zone and two missed field goals left Coach Fleck not as excited as he could have been. Buffalo was supposed to be a blowout for us.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I believe in the
    principle of
    Due Process
    Picture of JALLEN
    posted Hide Post
    It looks to me like you either have some ringers in there, or the name should change to the Big 14.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post