SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Portable AC unit for cooling a bedroom?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portable AC unit for cooling a bedroom? Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
I'm currently having trouble sleeping due to the heat. There isn't much in the way of insulation and the windows are old, single-panes, which means the heat of the day burns right into the house. My bedroom is upstairs while everything else is downstairs. I got into bed last night and the mattress was hot.

I've been looking at portable AC units on Amazon but don't really want to spend $300-400 on one that's going to be crap. My windows slide horizontally, so I can't mount a traditional window AC unit.

Anyone have experience with these?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Swamp cooler maybe? How's the humidity where you live?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Costco sells a brand called DeLougie. (I think that's the name's spelling.)

Great for San Diego and those 10 days of the year it's required.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
My AC failed a couple weeks ago and when I was told it would be several days of Texas heat before it would be repaired so I went out and got this to tide us over.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hisen...nditioner/1000195223

It worked really well and I think will work for you better than a standard window unit. The unit sits on the floor and there is a vent like a dryer exhaust (but bigger diameter..may 10") that is in a frame that you put in the window and close the window to the frame size. The exhaust vent can be easily positioned vertically in your window.

Lowes has a pretty good variety of these in stock so get the one that fits the size room you need cooled.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

To quote my man, Hudson: "It's a dry heat!"

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hisen...nditioner/1000195223

It worked really well and I think will work for you better than a standard window unit. The unit sits on the floor and there is a vent like a dryer exhaust (but bigger diameter..may 10") that is in a frame that you put in the window and close the window to the frame size. The exhaust vent can be easily positioned vertically in your window.

Lowes has a pretty good variety of these in stock so get the one that fits the size room you need cooled.

That's exactly the type of AC unit I'm looking for, but there are so many brands I thought I'd ask here first.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've found that they suck. All of the air they're blowing out that dryer tube, they're sucking into the house from outside. Do they cool, yes. But they tend to shoot out water droplets sometimes, they're somewhat noisy, and whatnot.

I'd recommend blowing in insulation in your attic. It's a lot cheaper than you think it is...... about $0.60 a sq' foot of attic space......the insulation saves you a ton on your electric bill and should solve your problem so a win win.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm renting a converted hot house. My landlord isn't going to add insulation cuz he's cheap like an old Chinese woman.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Woot had some units under $300. A 8000 unit for a small bedroom was $200

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

If you used that at my house in Louisiana it would be like rain in the room.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to picture a window that slides horizontally. Like a casement?
When I first bought this house I never thought I'd ever get AC due to the size of the Casement windows. I sweated pretty bad because the house is made from clay block. No duct work so no central air. And the boxes on the ACs I looked at stated they fit bigger windows. However, one day as I walked through Lowes I watched a guy pull out a tape measure and measure the size of the frame on the AC without the slide accordion things extended. A light bulb went off. I asked him what was the measurement he got. I rushed home to find out that I had 1/2" to spare. Hallelujah. I hot a piece of plexiglas cut for the top, siliconed it in and finally had a cool room to sleep in.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
I took the slider out, put a window unit in, then filled the rest of the hole with plywood and put some 2inch insulation on it, but it was not a rental.

Posts: 159 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I have a friend with a mini-split system in his bedroom to keep his menopausal wife from spontaneously combusting.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Don't do portable unless you absolutely have to.
If it is the only game then start with the
Whynter Elite ARC-122Ds dual hose.
A window unit is always more desirable.
If window is doable then look at the Haier Serenity series or a Friedrich

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigfest and I think alike...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Portable units are relatively inexpensive at lowes or Home Depot. Just get one rated for the size of your room or it will run incessantly.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they work great, most are rebranded Honeywell I think.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Home Depot has casement window AC units.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fri...FFRS1022R1/206210806

You are going to have issues with the portable AC units. You have a fairly large heat load due to the construction of your house. The portable units are really only good for about 60% of the rated BTU's due to nunerous issues. My house is similar in construction and 10k BTUs in the one upstairs bedroom barely cut it with the downstairs AC units running. After I insulated the house the 10k unit upstairs can cool the room. I know it's twice the cost, but a window unit will work much much better than the portable unit.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Casement is the way to go,expensive as hell,twice the cost of regular.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Also consider getting some room darkening shades or curtains. It will cut down on the pre-heating of the room during the day.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post