SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Portable AC unit for cooling a bedroom?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portable AC unit for cooling a bedroom? Login/Join 
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I'm currently having trouble sleeping due to the heat. There isn't much in the way of insulation and the windows are old, single-panes, which means the heat of the day burns right into the house. My bedroom is upstairs while everything else is downstairs. I got into bed last night and the mattress was hot.

I've been looking at portable AC units on Amazon but don't really want to spend $300-400 on one that's going to be crap. My windows slide horizontally, so I can't mount a traditional window AC unit.

Anyone have experience with these?

I hear you. We have one of these Idyllis units. It works wonderfully. It should work well in your window. It will likely freeze you out of your room. I highly recommend it. I know you don't want to spend the money, but it will be well worth the investment in the long run.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Orguss, I dug into the closet and got the brand/model of the unit I mentioned above. As I said, it did a good job of cooling a person quickly, when directed at them. My wife never used it as a full room unit, per se, but the room was always cooler when she ran it against herself. It definitely won't cool a room as well as any kind of window unit or mini-split. She ran it in our crafts room, which is 215 sq ft, with a 9 ft ceiling.

It is an SPT WA-9000E, which model seems to be no longer available, replaced by the WA-9061H. You'll need to fashion about a 6-8" wide board that will fit into the track of your window full height, with the board being the right thickness to go fully into the track (1/2" in our case), then just cut a hole in that board to attach the exhaust hose, and close the window onto the board. Not much else, in the way of electrical draws, will run on the same circuit this unit is using. A light or two, laptop, even a small fan, but nothing like a vacuum cleaner.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You should be able to get a good window A/C for $250 and $50 for installation materials.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
You should be able to get a good window A/C for $250 and $50 for installation materials.

Not for a casement window.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1980040624

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm considering that now that I've seen it. Big Grin

Also, there are a lot of references to casement windows, which I plainly described and even posted an example of exactly the window I have--which isn't a casement window.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
So what size is your window opening?

How about some pictures.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Also, there are a lot of references to casement windows, which I plainly described and even posted an example of exactly the window I have--which isn't a casement window.

Correct, you have a horizontal slider. Ours are aluminum, some are wood. Casement windows are hinged on the sides, and swing out, either by pushing or using a crank.

If you completely remove the sliding pane (lift it out of its track, you may have to slide it into the open position to do this), is the hole that's left wide enough for a small window unit? And do you have a good dedicated electrical outlet nearby to power it. If yes, and you are willing to go that route, both 41 and whanson_wi have made good suggestions (on page 2) for how to do this. It can be done non-destructively, so you can simply remove the window AC and replace the sliding pane when you move. You would get a lot more bang for your buck in cooling power with a window unit vs a portable room unit, at the cost of some handy-man type work.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
$100 off the Delonghi units until Wednesday, online only...

Bought the 11000 unit for my office $249

not sure what's going on with the link, if I copy and past or use the forum feature it doesn't want to show up, you may have to copy and paste

[URL=https://www.costco.com/De'Longhi-Pinguino-11%2c500-BTU-3-in-1-Portable-Air-Conditioner%2c-Dehumidifier-%2526-Fan.product.100340311.html]link[/URL]

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
I just bought this for my office as a temporary fix until I can get an HVAC guy out here... It SUCKS. My office is just over 200 square feet and it barely cools the area around the desk. And it's ugly.

My mom uses one similar, but larger in her 100 year old beach house. Hers works great. You can use the in horizontal slide windows no problem. You may need to add some plywood or Plexiglas depending on how tall window is. It does take 12 hours to cool the house as its 85℉ + when she gets down there. Then she has window units for MBR and guest rooms. Those work better/faster because you can shut the doors.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20807 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

Maybe posting this again will help. I guess Attention Deficit Disorder really does exist.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The OP decided to spend the nights in the air conditioned mailroom at the post office. Wink

If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
I just bought this for my office as a temporary fix until I can get an HVAC guy out here... It SUCKS. My office is just over 200 square feet and it barely cools the area around the desk. And it's ugly.

My mom uses one similar, but larger in her 100 year old beach house. Hers works great. You can use the in horizontal slide windows no problem. You may need to add some plywood or Plexiglas depending on how tall window is. It does take 12 hours to cool the house as its 85℉ + when she gets down there. Then she has window units for MBR and guest rooms. Those work better/faster because you can shut the doors.

I run my home based firearms business out of a room in my garage. During a Texas summer it gets hot in there so I've used a portable A/C like these for over six years and have used around 4-5 different ones (I've bought new ones and taken them back to try different brands). My office is 64 square feet and my walls are insulated yet even a 14000 but unit struggles to cool 64 square feet. If someone has one that will cool off a 95 degree room I'd like to know about it.

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
The OP decided to spend the nights in the air conditioned mailroom at the post office. Wink

Actually, it got foggy after this thread, so I haven't yet purchased one.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post