SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Wife is the Smartest Person in the World
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Wife is the Smartest Person in the World Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
Her son got his car towed for not registering it (after owning it for two years).

And it's my fault for explaining why he needs the title (which he lost) to get it registered and out of impound.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
Sovereign Citizen?

Don't need no stinking title! :-)

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
That's likely to be an expensive lesson for him. A replacement title fee of somewhere between $30 and $100 to start with. Then the registration fee, which varies from state to state and can run into the hundreds of dollars. Plus the storage fees at the impound yard, which is a per-day charge for every day it takes him to get his paperwork in order. The towing charge will be the least of it. Oh, yeah - does he have insurance on it?

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I'd rather have stupid hurt than cost money....although they often go hand in hand.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is going to be an expensive lesson. And even more expensive if he lost the title before transferring it into his name, which wouldn't surprise me since he never registered it.

Posts: 2480 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Maybe if he tells them they're making him feel like he isn't safe the impound lot will just release the car to him and the state will waive the mean old registration requirements.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Only advantage on the kid's side is he bought it from his dad who feels the kid should've registered it two years ago and piss poor planning on the kid's part does not constitute an emergency on everyone else's.

(His dad and I tend to agree on this one as I told the kid back then he needed to register it and get the title in his name. "But why, nothing's going to happen, everyone knows my dad sold it to me" attitude.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
"But why, nothing's going to happen, everyone knows my dad sold it to me"
How old is he?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
This is going to be an expensive lesson. And even more expensive if he lost the title before transferring it into his name, which wouldn't surprise me since he never registered it.

$300 towing + $45 per day (it's been there since Sunday night) + the three or four tickets (which he admits to) for out of date registration + two years worth late fees.

I wish I had that much money to burn.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
"But why, nothing's going to happen, everyone knows my dad sold it to me"
How old is he?

20. 21 in April 2018

posted Hide Post
Damn, what's the car worth? Might be cheaper to walk away.

Posts: 2480 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
Damn, what's the car worth? Might be cheaper to walk away.

Trust me, I'm not bringing that up.

Answer: maybe $1,500

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Perhaps dusting off the old lesson "decisions, and lack of decisions, have consequences " might be in order.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
My wifes nephew is a Rhodes Scholar in stupidy and always needs to be bailed out and he is 36 yrs old.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Kid's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, is he?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my State (MI), the Seller has liability for any accident or bodily injury caused until the title is transferred. I would NEVER allow a buyer to forgo a trip to the Secretary of State (DMV) in my company. Never.

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Kid's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, is he?

Wait till legalized pot gets to your state.

To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
$300 towing + $45 per day (it's been there since Sunday night) + the three or four tickets (which he admits to) for out of date registration + two years worth late fees.
Ouch that hurts thinking about. Around here those late fees really add up $$$ fast. Plus I think Cal will also collect on previous years registration.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Her son got his car towed for not registering it (after owning it for two years).

And it's my fault for explaining why he needs the title (which he lost) to get it registered and out of impound.

Problem is that one way or another you're going to be the one paying.

Posts: 2539 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Perhaps dusting off the old lesson "decisions, and lack of decisions, have consequences " might be in order.

Sometimes experience is the best teacher.
Don't bail him out. Let him solve his problem.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post