SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Police Chief caught in double talk on DUI cases
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police Chief caught in double talk on DUI cases Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
The Police Chief in the story suspended one of his officers for giving an off duty officer from a different department, under suspicion of DUI, a ride home last year instead of arresting him. In a recent case he let a mother of an officer from a different department off completely after she blew 2x the legal limit.

You have to watch the video to see the comparison. Tough talk on DUI, one day then officer discretion the next. I can just imagine the hay day that any attorney currently trying a DUI case in his jurisdiction would have after this revelation. Not to mention the union representing his suspended officer and the other officer accused in the previous case.

https://www.clickondetroit.com...erndale-police-chief

The Michigan State Police might take an interest in how they use officer discretion to let someone off who blew 2x the limit and then failed to note that in the reports. Michigan is pretty much zero tolerance on DUI.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
The Michigan State Police might take an interest in how they use officer discretion to let someone off who blew 2x the limit and then failed to note that in the reports. Michigan is pretty much zero tolerance on DUI.

Huh?

The state police almost certainly have zero ability to "do" anything here. State law enforcement agencies generally have no authority over local agencies, just sometimes a perception (internal and external) of "superiority."

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drunk Chief War Story:
My chief attended our FOP Xmas par-tay and got royally shit faced. I and several others tried to get him to call a marked unit in to drive him home.
Nope! He was fine to drive. Until he ass ended some folks at a red light about a mile from the party.
So.... We arrested our own Chief. And he lost his job, too.
Merry Christmas!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Drunk Chief War Story:
My chief attended our FOP Xmas par-tay and got royally shit faced. I and several others tried to get him to call a marked unit in to drive him home.
Nope! He was fine to drive. Until he ass ended some folks at a red light about a mile from the party.
Merry Christmas!

PRICELESS!!!!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a story down here years ago of a cop from a local jurisdiction had been disciplined, and talked his buddy in the sheriff's department into stopping and arresting his (local department) chief after a party the chief had gone to one night.

Only problem was, chief wasn't under the influence. Didn't end well for either of the two buddies. Red Face

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Drunk Chief War Story:
Merry Christmas!

PRICELESS!!!!!!

Hubris, meet karma!

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
In a recent case he let a mother of an officer from a different department off completely after she blew 2x the legal limit.

May not have been all she blew.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
In a recent case he let a mother of an officer from a different department off completely after she blew 2x the legal limit.

May not have been all she blew.

The 70-year-old woman who blew twice the legal limit thanks the chief and is let go.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Drunk Chief War Story:
Merry Christmas!

As it should have been. Except he should have been arrested as he got in his car, keys in hand and tried to start it.
He still could have killed someone very easily and it was only luck that he didn't.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post