SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gasoline octane rating for a car.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gasoline octane rating for a car. Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
Available locally is Premium Unleaded ETHANOL FREE 91 Octane or Premium Unleaded 10% Ethanol 93 Octane.

Would you choose 91 Octane ETHANOL FREE or 93 Octane 10% Ethanol?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
91 ethanol free.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
All other factors being equal, ethanol free all day long.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
It depends on what you drive. Most vehicles use 87, 91 would be a waste of time. Also, I would go with the octane recommended in the owners manual. If given the choice, I would stay away from Ethanol.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Depends on the vehicle. My Jeep gets the cheapest stuff I can find, my GTO gets top tier premium, and all lawn equipment gets ethanol free. You don't get any benefit from higher octane in an engine not built for it, so it would be wasteful to get a higher octane if you don't explicitly need it.

With prices around here, the ethanol gas is cheaper per mile than the 100% real gas too, so no real point in buying it if you don't actually need it.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Ethanol is pork-barrel political bullshit, in addition to being bad for my older vehicles. If I had a choice I would absolutely buy non-ethanol fuel. Unfortunately I have no choice, which is ironic since I live on the fringe of the Permian Basin of west Texas, one of the biggest petroleum producing areas in the US.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
91 sans ethanol would be my choice although I'd need to evaluate the cost difference as only the no ethanol would contribute much to the performance. I could purchase a custom tune for my Taco which would take full advantage of the higher octane as well as offer a more aggressive shift sequence, but's hovering around $1000 so not in the cards for me.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ethanol free, if you can find it.

There is an APP for station locations:

"PUREGAS"

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Ethanol and octane don't go together in that performance is interdependent. One doesn't make up for the other. It isn't a trade off.

I would prefer to get non-ethanol gasoline for any car, regardless of what octane rating it needs. No ethanol does put more energy in any given amount of fuel. It is more powerful than 10% ethanol fuel. As someone else said, though 100% gas is very expensive, if you can find it, that you pay more per unit of energy for pure gasoline than you do for ethanol laced fuel.

I would get the octane rating that engine needs to avoid predetonation. That is what octane does - it prevents the fuel/air mix from igniting early in higher compression engines. It doesn't make the gasoline have more "power" or give the engine more power. You use higher octane gas if the engine needs it. If you don't need it to stop pre-detonation (knocking), it doesn't do you a bit of good to use higher octane gas, and only wastes money.

My car has a medium compression ratio - higher than most cars, but not as much as a performance car. It was built that way so that higher octane fuel would not be needed. In Japan, the same engine has a higher compression ratio and higher octane is definitely needed. (Apparently the Japanese don't mind paying for hi-test.) If I put high octane fuel in my car, I would just be blowing money out the tailpipe for no benefit. It runs fine on regular and adding octane wouldn't add anything.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Whatever octane the vehicle calls for. If it calls for 93 use the 93 if it calls for 87 I am guessing the price difference in 87 and 91 Ethenol free will completely negate any gained mileage.
Ethenol hurts mileage but not the vehicle much anymore.

Small engines on the other hand are destroyed by ethanol. I gladly pay the higher price for ethanol free for my yard equipment.

I used a few tanks of ethanol free in my Explorer and the gained mileage did not make up for the price increase and the added drive to the lone ethanol free station.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25410 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Corn is not for cars. Corn is not for cows. Corn is for popping (not in the microwave) and stew and best left on the cob. Big Grin

If you look at an E-85 fuel compliant vehicle, notice the fuel economy is rated using real gas. Not corn gas. Using the E-85 gas reduces observed milage by 40%. Using corn gas in your car drops milage by 4% or so.

The corn gas particles are more coarse of a product and causes premature wear on fuel pumps, injectors, etc...

Corn gas also absorbs moisture from the atmosphere more rapidly and rusts out the bottom of the gas tank, fuel pressure regulator, etc... This is why you will never see corn gas for sale at a pier, dock, or nautical establishment.

There is also the double subsidy for corn gas. Other than that, it is great!

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I ran a couple tanks of 100 octane AV Gas in my Ford F150 in attempt to pass the Florida emissions test back in 90's. The numbers were good but I still failed because my cat converter was removed. The truck was definitely peppier!

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We have a car that says it wants 93 octane gasoline. I’ve yet it see anything higher than 91 offered for sale out here. Exxon seems to reliably sell ethanol-free 91 octane fuel; 85 and 88 octane have some level of ethanol (and yes, for some reason, Exxon sells 88 rather than 87 here).

Posts: 13239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
We have a car that says it wants 93 octane gasoline. I’ve yet it see anything higher than 91 offered for sale out here. Exxon seems to reliably sell ethanol-free 91 octane fuel; 85 and 88 octane have some level of ethanol (and yes, for some reason, Exxon sells 88 rather than 87 here).

If it doesn't knock at 91 octane (and I bet it doesn't), don't worry about it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
jhe888 explained it well.

quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

I wouldn't worry. Cars today can detect knocking and will adjust the timing/fuel/air mix to compensate if needed.

Some of today's variable valve timing engines(Honda's Vtec or whatever they have now) will have a second set of lobes on the camshafts. When you go above a certain RPM the second set opens the intake/exhaust value longer letting in more air. This will often create a higher compression. Some of these engines really only need the higher octane gas when you get past a certain RPM anyway.

Just use what is recommended if the car is stock. Some newer cars that run on 87 can be tuned to pull more power from higher octane fuel but at a cost.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Does your vehicle require premium fuel of 91-93 octane? If not, and it is set up or rated for just 87, I think it unlikely you will get any better performance on the premium.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have a car that says it wants 93 octane gasoline. I’ve yet it see anything higher than 91 offered for sale out here. ...

You give your location as Wyoming. Wyoming's high elevation (its lowest is still over 3000 feet) creates less cylinder pressure and the octane rating can be lessened with no problem.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
We have a car that says it wants 93 octane gasoline. I’ve yet it see anything higher than 91 offered for sale out here. ...

You give your location as Wyoming. Wyoming's high elevation (its lowest is still over 3000 feet) creates less cylinder pressure and the octane rating can be lessened with no problem.
Yeah, pretty familiar with that

Posts: 13239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
How much more is the 91? If only a few cents more I'd use it. Most likely the 93 is the exact same gasoline as the 91, only with 10% alcohol added to raise the octane 2 points.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7083 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I'd use the 91 ethanol free, which is exactly what I use in my Mustang. If I actually needed a higher octane, I would mix in some race gas before I would put in an ethanol fuel. My truck on the other hand gets whatever is pumping.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post