Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tomato pie Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
I had never heard of these until earlier this month when my wife's sister was visiting. I was complaining about picking tomatoes faster than I could eat them and she mentioned it.
Well, I finally got around to trying it and must say, I was impressed. Is there anything else you southern folks are hiding from the rest of us Razz

I found several recipes on line but this is the one I made. BTW, too late for pictures Big Grin

Alabama Tomato Pie

Ingredients
• 1 frozen deep-dish pie crust, thawed
• 4-5 tomatoes, sliced
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped (about
1/4 cup)
• 1/2 cup chopped green onion
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese
• 1 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar
cheese
• 3/4 cup mayonnaise
• Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a few layers of paper towels. Slice the tomatoes and lay on the paper towels in a single layer, then sprinkle with the salt to draw out the tomato juices. Let sit for 10-15 minutes, or longer if really juicy, then use fresh paper towels to pat-dry the tomatoes and remove move of the excess juice so the pie doesn't turn out soggy.
2. Poke holes in the bottom of the crust using the tines of a fork. Par-bake the crust for 8-9 minutes.
3. While the crust bakes, combine the basil, green onion, and garlic in a bowl and stir. In a separate bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, mayonnaise and season with freshly ground black pepper. Stir to combine.
4. When the pie crust has baked for 10 minutes and cooled slightly, layer half of the tomatoes on the bottom of the crust, then sprinkle with half of the basil-onion mixture. Layer the remaining tomatoes on top and sprinkle with the remaining basil-onion mixture. Spread the cheese mixture over the top of the pie.
5. Decrease the oven temperature to 350 degrees F, then return the pie to the oven and bake for 30 minutes, uncovered, until the cheese begins to get lightly brown on top. Let rest for 10 minutes, then slice and serve warm.

Recipe Notes
Any tomatoes will work, but depending on the size you may need more or fewer tomatoes.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
'mater gravy?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Have you ever had a Vidalia onion casserole?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Recipe?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Recipe?

This one looks close to the one my Grandmother used to make. Unfortunately I don't have her recipe, it was absolutely delicious though!

https://www.tasteofhome.com/re...s/vidalia-casserole/

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't like tomatoes all that much and that recipe looks good!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
This place is famous for them, me, Meh way over rated, but then again the best Pizza in the world is in my area.

https://www.marucaspizza.com/menu/

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8349 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
This place is famous for them, me, Meh way over rated, but then again the best Pizza in the world is in my area.

https://www.marucaspizza.com/menu/

pie as in pie crust in a baking dish, not pie as in pizza

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
My wife makes one, I'll give her the recipe to compare but it looks pretty similar.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Recipe?

This one looks close to the one my Grandmother used to make. Unfortunately I don't have her recipe, it was absolutely delicious though!

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7760060644

Big Grin

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this recipe!
Growing my first own heirloom tomatoes from seed and also a“giant tomato” plant version from Lowe’s.
If they actually ripen I will want to use them in a special recipe.
This one sounds great! Thanks for posting it!
(Aphids have invaded the plants and my next post will ask advice on how to fight them).

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Love, love, love tomato pie this time of year.
Your recipe looks spot-on.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
A tomato pie won the Pie Town, New Mexico pie contest the year I was a judge.

I had never heard of one. It was surprisingly good.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
"Grit pie"... you use yellow grits for the pie shell....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
My wife made one of these last week. Exactly like the recipe except she chopped up a little fried bacon in hers. It was amazingly good.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
Recipe Notes
Any tomatoes will work, but depending on the size you may need more or fewer tomatoes.

Add to notes: use Duke's mayo, but use a light hand with it. Too much mayo will ruin it.

In the winter, I love using home canned tomatoes. Smile

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Isn't that pretty much deep dish Chicago Style Pizza?

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Recipe?

https://www.tasteofhome.com/re...s/vidalia-casserole/

Sounds good, I'll have to try it.

When I'm using the green egg, after prepping my main course, I always put the rub on a vidalia onion or two and let it sit for the same length of time as the food. Throw it on the smoker with the food for about 40mins and man oh man, is it ever wonderful!

I think I'll make this casserole but instead of sauteing them in butter, I'll used smoked onions. Mmmmm

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
Isn't that pretty much deep dish Chicago Style Pizza?

not even close

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
If they actually ripen I will want to use them in a special recipe.

If they don't ripen, look up "green tomato mincemeat". My mom made it all the time, great for pies.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post