SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a new string trimmer Echo or Husqvarna
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a new string trimmer Echo or Husqvarna Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Of the two brands, I'd be inclined to go with Echo for a string trimmer. I've a Stihl a buddy gifted me. Essentially brand new. My 30-year-old plus Shindaiwa runs much more smoothly.

And, on that note: You might consider Shindaiwa Smile

I'll also add my vote to stay away from big box stores for your purchase.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25980 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
I'd prefer an Echo or Stihl over anything from a box store. My theory is that if you buy from a place that works on them, they will probably steer you towards a more reliable model because they don't want to fuck with it either.

^ This. Exactly what I did. I have the lowest cost Stihl gas. 12 years going strong. I only had a single maintenance issue. The little plastic button to feed fuel prior to start. Had a crack in it. Cheap $20 or $25 part and it was fixed. Extremely reliable.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12555 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies guys, very much appreciated. I think I will go with the Echo since the place I'm purchasing it from sells and services Echo products compared to buying the Husqvarna from Lowes.

Posts: 1617 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyMCO:
I've got a Stihl FS70 and have had the carburetor replaced 2x due to ethanol in the fuel eating the seals. What ever one you purchase - try and use Ethanol free fuel.

Look for a gas station in your area (or marina) that sells REC 90. There should be several in central florida. Rec 90 gasoline is ethanol free and 90 octane.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
From my past experience as a small engine mechanic, I would HIGHLY recommend using the premix 50:1 fuel that you can buy at Home Depot for $5 a can.

With all due respect to your vastly greater experience with small engines: I don't know as that's strictly necessary.

I never had problems with my summertime small engines, but my snow blower used to give me fits. That's until I switched to using real gas. Problems magically went away. Now I used nothing but real gas in all my small engine machines.

I've been using Opti-2 2-cycle oil for ages. One mix ratio, regardless of the engine, suffices for all. Great stuff, IME.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25980 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I've got a Husky and have had it since circa 2012 or so....

....still starts on first pull and runs like a top.

No complaints....all good.

I use ethanol free gas as the fuel base.

0:01

Posts: 4197 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
As others have mentioned the ethanol free gas is what’s most important to me. Two of the Wal-Marts around me sell it as we have several recreational lakes nearby. It’s only 87 octane as compared to the 93 octane ethanol free I used to buy in MO, but it still runs much better than even premium ethanol blended gas.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Have a STIHL trimmer thats 20 yrs old...buy once....cry once.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
I've used the big Stihls in the past. They were very nice. I now have a smaller Husky and it's just as nice I'd say. I'm impressed with it.

No exp on the Echo

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6956 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
From my past experience as a small engine mechanic, I would HIGHLY recommend using the premix 50:1 fuel that you can buy at Home Depot for $5 a can.

With all due respect to your vastly greater experience with small engines: I don't know as that's strictly necessary.

I never had problems with my summertime small engines, but my snow blower used to give me fits. That's until I switched to using real gas. Problems magically went away. Now I used nothing but real gas in all my small engine machines.

I've been using Opti-2 2-cycle oil for ages. One mix ratio, regardless of the engine, suffices for all. Great stuff, IME.

'Real Gas' is not universally or even conveniently available everywhere in the 'USA', so for anyone that's an occasional/residential user, the packaged 50:1 Pre-Mix Gas is NOT Bad advice at all. Is it necessary....You never 'really know until you do, but Better Safe than Sorry!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8731 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
I've had my Husqvarna trimmer for about 10 years. Paid dearly for it compared to the others; but it's been a good one.

All my other 2 stroke yard tools are Echo. The small, older chainsaw is still my favorite. Not just because it's small, but because it starts every time. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Posts: 1816 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 20+ yrs old SRM-2100SB and a 15 yrs old SRM-210. The 2100 is the PAS system. I have it since new and currently have the edger attachment permanently on it. I got tired of swapping the attachments so I picked up the non working SRM-210 off CL for next to nothing. New carb, primer bulb and trigger were all it needed.

Never owned any Stihl as they were commanding much more than the Echo back when I picked these up. Stihl prices have come down with newer consumer oriented models but they fall short of the reliabilities of the mid and commercial models is the consensus of the lawn forums I am on.

Take away from my Echos:
- Straight shafts beat curve shafts. Straight shaft allow you to switch from trimming to edging with just a 180 flip.
- Use good line. The orange Echo lines are junk. They will fused together inside the head. They wear and break easily. I use Oregon 22-895 Magnum Gatorline 0.095.
-From my experiences, the round trimmer lines tracks truer and deflects less compared to star and square shape line profiles.
- Get a good Speedfeed head and install the bolt bump modification allowing you to bump on concrete w/o wearing out the head
- Learn how to do carb maintenance as a fix for the ethanol issues. $25/gal pre-mixed fuel is too much when I got 2 trimmers and a blower to feed. I go thru about 3-4 gals of mixed gas each season. Carb tune up kits are $7-12/each. I change out the diaphragms, gaskets and internal of each carb every spring as part of my spring tune up
- Purchase this tachometer and watch Steve's Small Engine Saloon Carb Adjustment. My trimmers have never run better. Trigger pickup is instantaneous. Refer to your owner's manual for the tach range. Use the tachometer to make sure you are safely under the max to keep your engine from blowing up.
- Remove the spark arrestor and do a muffler mod because its loud, obnoxious and cool as faq. Smile Readjust your carb aft these modifications.

Posts: 1038 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Echo.

I bought my Echo gas trimmer, then shortly thereafter, an Echo gas leaf blower back in 2010.

I've yet to have an issue with either one and they always start right up. I only use the pre-mixed fuel in them.

Needless to say, I'm firmly sold on Echo.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXLe:

...watch Steve's Small Engine Saloon Carb Adjustment.

^^^^^^^^^^ Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post