SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a new string trimmer Echo or Husqvarna
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a new string trimmer Echo or Husqvarna Login/Join 
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Really liking the Echos I got this year.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Stihl

This is what I have, straight shaft and 2-stoke motor. Something about the extra strength of gas and no limitations because of a cord sold me.

I have Stihl chainsaws, and bought the string trimmer/weed eater that has the removable lower end, so I can borrow all the attachments from my brother, (edger, and bush trimmer thing)

I had ha husky before that, just a standard model, that was my dad's ,
I grabbed it when he passed, it was probably 5-8 yrs old and I used it another 5 before it just would not run (worn out)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10403 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Echo.

Posts: 11344 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a FS90 trimmer that threw a rod and became worthless after a year - I cannot recommend a Stihl. I now use Echo for anything that uses gas, and have a really good Husq chainsaw.

Echo will warranty their products for 5 years if you use their gas.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
If it is just for yard duty consider and electric. I got a dewalt electric and it works great for around the yard and much less maintenance. If you really need a gas trimmer I would go echo. I had one in the past and loved it, but for my suburban yard, it was overkill.

Same here. Trimmers don’t soak up much power and a good electric trimmer is super powerful these days.

Posts: 3867 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
It's funny I have an old Echo300 chainsaw thats been great. Also have an Echo hedge trimmer. Also terrific piece of equipment. Recently bought an Echo 310 chainsaw. In short a piece of crap. Low power, throws the chain alot. So anyhow I would have said Echo but not sure if they are no longer as good. Check You-Tube for some reviews.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
My Echo is maybe twenty-five years old, we have a difficult property with ground level weeds in rock and stone and a bunch of nasty wild honeysuckle I have to fight. I use one of those heads that you pre-cut line for two gripper holes, whatever they're called. I use the heaviest line I can, .155 square Oregon. A cutting beast but it beats the crap out of the Echo and it's still running well.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I use a Stihl. But storing it vertically causes fuel to leak out. Also Stihl made a bad head design and only after complaining did I receive the proper head. Now it actually feeds the line.

I will move to battery devices soon.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5040 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought the DeWalt 20 volt cordless this year. The one which the shaft folds in the middle. And come with a 5 AH battery.

So far it is doing a great job!

No mixing fuels, pulling to get it started,etc.
It also has a simple head to reload the string.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I use Echo equipment for my lawn business.

Posts: 45322 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I had two Stihl trimmers over the years. I have a 4 year old Echo now, running great.

I’m a Stihl guy, but when it comes to weed whippers, I’m an Echo guy now.

Posts: 6114 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
From my past experience as a small engine mechanic, I would HIGHLY recommend using the premix 50:1 fuel that you can buy at Home Depot for $5 a can. If you are an average homeowner that uses less than a gallon of 2 stroke fuel a year, you cant present an argument not to use the stuff. Its is exceptional stuff, no carb problems ever. It lacks the oxygenated compounds (the stuff that REALLY ruins small engines) and ethanol, so it last forever and doesn't go bad. And the VP Racing JASO FD rated 2 cycle oil in it is top of the line.

Will have to investigate that as well as the similar product the local power tool store sells. I just assumed it was stupid expensive gasoline for folks too lazy to mix and didn’t realize it had something analogous to the “white gas” we used to use for chainsaws when I was a kid. Instead I have been running 100LL (which isn’t cheap either, but lasts and is stable forever) and the mix oil.

Thanks for the Pro tip!

ETA: I misread $5 per can as $5 per gallon. With 32oz cans, that’s awful close to $20 per gallon. At that rate, I’ll stick with the 100LL and over the year save enough to run some through an airplane too.

It is still way cheaper for a homeowner than rebuilding your stuff ‘cause junk gas turned to jelly over time and killed your carb, but for the ranch we go through too much to go that route.

Posts: 6861 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
My ECHO PAS-225 works flawlessly for me. I purchased the optional hedge trimmer attachment and not being tethered to an extension cord has been a real game changer for trimming hedges and bushes around my home.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Honestly, they're both good, so whichever has the best servicing dealer near you.

I'd lean Husqvarna, but I have a Husky Trimmer, Chainsaw and Backpack blower, so I 'might' be biased! Wink

I also drive a Volvo.... Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8731 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ECHO.....the 225 is a good motor. I have it on a pole saw and also a pole hedge trimmer.......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In this space get the Echo. But get the powerhead and the string trimmer attachment. You will thank me later when you want a different attachment.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10958 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've used Husky commercial for 15 years. 525 has as easy a head to load as there is. blows speed feed away. All are good. I buy Husky because mine are trouble free and my dealer treats me good.

Someday when I'm loafing I'm going to get my 2 stroke together for a group shot. Yard sale!

Posts: 4661 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Another happy echo user... bought from Lowes. Zero issues in 6 or 8 years now. Straight shaft model. Love their bump feed head.

I either buy from a servicing dealer for the service... or I consider it a disposable tool and buy from wherever I find what I need for a good deal.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4112 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
This

quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Stihl

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a Stihl FS70 and have had the carburetor replaced 2x due to ethanol in the fuel eating the seals. What ever one you purchase - try and use Ethanol free fuel.

Posts: 247 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post