SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a new string trimmer Echo or Husqvarna
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a new string trimmer Echo or Husqvarna Login/Join 
posted
My current string trimmer a Troy-Bilt is ready for the junkyard and while I could probably fix it I've already spent money on repairs and don't feel like spending more money to get it fixed. I'm looking at string trimmers from Husqvarna and Echo and need a little help deciding which brand to purchase. The Stihl dealership that also sells Echo doesn't offer any discounts for military and both the Echo and Husqvarna are both priced at 200 bucks. If I purchase the Husqvarna from Lowes I'll get a 10% military discount but I don't mind not getting the discount if the Echo is a superior product.Anyone who owns either brand cafe to comment? This is for yard duty not commercial duty so I don't need the top of the line model nor do I want the absolute cheapest just something in between both extremes.

Posts: 1617 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
If it is just for yard duty consider and electric. I got a dewalt electric and it works great for around the yard and much less maintenance. If you really need a gas trimmer I would go echo. I had one in the past and loved it, but for my suburban yard, it was overkill.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I have had my Echo for about 6 years now, and it still fires up on the first pull, and keeps on going, in my opinion they are the top of the line.

Archerman

Posts: 2475 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd prefer an Echo or Stihl over anything from a box store. My theory is that if you buy from a place that works on them, they will probably steer you towards a more reliable model because they don't want to fuck with it either.

How much do you use it? My Ego 56V with the small battery (2.5Ah) more than gets my 2acre yard done (trees, sidewalk, etc). Right now, I have a bunch of weeds after doing some dirt work last fall & I've been weedeating where I don't want to mow yet, I finally had to grab the other battery - but it took 20+ minutes of holding the trigger full blast before it was done. Normally, I do more walking than weedeating and it only takes ~20 minutes total.
I'll never go back to mixing gas for a weedeater again. Same for my blower. It's just slightly less powerful than the stihl it replaced, but the convenience trumps it.

Posts: 3296 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Stihl

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Don’t have any string trimmers, but have a couple echo pole saws and a few huskie chainsaws of various sizes. Favorably impressed with how echo does small motored machines and their durability in the face of sometimes mechanically declined employees. Huskie seems to do a good job on the larger saws, but I am less than impressed with their smaller stuff. It is not that their smaller stuff is bad, it just seems like it isn’t their focus/sweet spot.

I’d go echo for a trimmer.

Additionally, I’d stay away from big box stores. You’d be amazed the number of manufacturers that make a “cheaper” version of their products for the big box stores. Those outlets are all about price and if all you care about is price, they may be the place to go. However, if you want quality they are often not the place to go. If you compare manufacturer X’s product prices at a big box store and somewhere else, make sure they are the same SKU number, because otherwise your are attempting to compare apples and oranges.

Posts: 6861 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the Husky's but recently bought an Echo. Easy to start, handles very nice but I should get a strap. I didn't even price the Huskys or Stihls because I couldn't afford them. After I bought the Echo I found out a Stihl model cost the same with 27 cc vs 20 for the Echo. The Echo is good, I expect years and years of performance but had I known I would've bought the Stihl for the bigger engine. Check the engine displacements and get the bigger one.

Posts: 590 | Location: Glide, Oregon | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I am pretty happy with my Poulan Pro power head (two-cycle). I'd certainly put it up against either the Echo or Stihl both of which I have owned.

Don't ignore the ability for various manufacturers power heads to use implements from other brands. There is an attachment specification that several vendors follow, and that greatly increases the number of available tools. For example, in addition to the string trimmer head I also use hedge clipper, brush cutter, and sidewalk edger tools all fitting to the same power head, none of them Poulan brand.

This would also allow one to purchase a successor power head, e.g. replacing a gas-powered with a battery-powered unit and not lose one's investment in tools.

Finally, take a good close look at the actual trimmer head before you buy any unit. Some of these simply don't last, and certain features that seem like they should be desirable (automatic string feeding) are often worse than useless. There are several after-market replacement heads that work and last far better. My rule here is "keep it simple," and avoid anything with a spool.

Posts: 6377 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
E C H O !!!

Posts: 3482 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
EGO electric, quiet, fast, powerfull, no fuel to mix, no heat to deal with, starts every time, no prime the carb, pull the rope and hope....

I'll never go back to two stroke implements, the electrics are that good now....

https://egopowerplus.com/

You can also get a Kobalt model with your mil discount at lowes...

Posts: 23193 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I've had my Echo weedeater for going on 12 years now, just getting ready to replace the carb and fuel lines, etc. here this month. Overall can't complain one bit, though I did swap out the stupid Speed Feed head for a traditional head.

Also, be aware that the Echo comes with a 5 year warranty, not sure about the Husqvarna. The Stihl I was originally looking at came with a 1 year warranty, which they'd increase to 2 if you bought a case of the oil mix to make the 50:1 gas.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of Echo. I have a 10-15 year old Echo SRM-210 that I consider the pinnacle of home owner grade trimmers(lightweight, powerful, durable), and I will never get rid of it as long as I can keep it running. And Echo sells all the parts, so I should be able to keep it running for decades.

From my past experience as a small engine mechanic, I would HIGHLY recommend using the premix 50:1 fuel that you can buy at Home Depot for $5 a can. If you are an average homeowner that uses less than a gallon of 2 stroke fuel a year, you cant present an argument not to use the stuff. Its is exceptional stuff, no carb problems ever. It lacks the oxygenated compounds (the stuff that REALLY ruins small engines) and ethanol, so it last forever and doesn't go bad. And the VP Racing JASO FD rated 2 cycle oil in it is top of the line.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Po...-Fuel-6985/206455565

Posts: 6658 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I had a lesser expensive POULAN which would never start.

I currently have a STIHL FS50C-E which I use the STIHL pre-mixed fuel. It starts every time and loves to eat grass. It's been reliable for the past three years of hard use on our acreage.

Change from string to an extending blade head attachment and it'll take out light brush easily.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
my echo engine has been bullet proof but the bump head did quit working about 10 years in...

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10464 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Echo worked for me great.

Posts: 5296 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Paratus
Picture of sj4550
posted Hide Post
I am with the cordless crowd
If this is for yard duty. I am using the Lowes 80v string trimmer and also use an edger attachment on it as well. Also have the 80V blower.

I won't go back to 2 cycle. No more gas/oil mix, cranky starts

Posts: 373 | Location: Ovilla, TX | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Stihl

This is what I have, straight shaft and 2-stoke motor. Something about the extra strength of gas and no limitations because of a cord sold me.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14018 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Another Stihl user here.
I believe mine is the FS56RC & my dad has the same one & also has the more commercial model with the bullhorn bars.
All 3 have been reliable.

My mower is a Husky (Kohler engine) & works well, though I've only used it 4-5 times so far.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15111 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I recently bought an Echo string trimmer. Easy start, easy line replacement. DO NOT use the Echo branded .095 line, it sucks. Get MAXPOWER TWISTED if you can find it.

ETA: The model I bought is the SRM-225 Grass Trimmer / Brushcutter.

Or just spend your money on Ammo and Training. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Johnny 3eagles,

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I recently got the ECHO model with the carbon fiber shaft. It is super light. I restrung it for the first time yesterday. You pull the string through and push a button on the head and it winds it for you! I hate having to stop and go through a hassle restring, I'm glad I opted for this one!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post