SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Why did the cop have to shoot him so many times?"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Why did the cop have to shoot him so many times?" Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
pistols rounds suck - that has been debated and put to rest - we declare the 9 / 40 / 45 / 357 debate over

carry what you shoot well with quality JHPs. period

on another note - question for LE --

how quickly can you deploy the shotgun / AR from the rack? I am surprised he never deployed that...

kinda reminds me of the Miami deal where they pulled right up to the perps 'under-gunned'

-----------------------------------------------------

Other officers here can voice their opinions but in my experience, anytime I ever truly needed my gun it was right NOW. I didn't have time to worry about a rifle or shotgun sitting in the car next to me. I had to bail out asap, yank my pistol out of my holster as fast as I could, return fire while looking for some kind of cover.

Have you seen how much crap we have in the front seat area (radios, light/siren box, computers, in car video system, ticket printer)? Trying to get a long gun shoehorned between the front seats out in a "quick" manner ain't going to happen. Hell trying to get the long guns out when doing vehicle maintenance is a pain in the ass. Trust me when I say I am a long gun proponent and anytime I have time I either have it half way out before arriving on scene or grab it IF I have available time (like high risk vehicle stop). Several times it was a LOT easier for me to grab a shotgun instead of the rifle.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
There was a similar video about a year ago where a cop was up against a guy barricaded in his home. Some domestic or some such thing.

The cop was down to a backup revolver as I recall. Now the cop carries a lot of rounds.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by Chance:
Interesting that he switched from .45 to 9mm

I have had two former SOCOM guys, one former SEAL and one former 75th Ranger Regiment, both tell me independently they carry 9mm. They prefer more shots, better placed and faster, over the bigger .45 acp. Both served in combat. Both said if you want knockdown, get a long gun.

Truer words were never spoken. Big Grin

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
how quickly can you deploy the shotgun / AR from the rack? I am surprised he never deployed that...

In this case, even if he had already released a long gun and it was ready to go on the seat beside him, he would still undoubtedly have had to resort to his Glock as the perp jumped out of his car and immediately began rushing him while firing causing him to have to return fire from inside the patrol car.

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Officer needs to consider a more potant round like .357 Sig or 10mm. His shots seemed to be placed well. How a human can withstand that many hits is beyond me.

That's not always an option. Actually, it's probably seldom an option today. Department regs frequently mandate not only the calibers allowed but what specific weapons can be carried.

When I first started, the department I worked for had no restrictions on either caliber or type of weapon carried. However, for largely political reasons, administrators restricted ammunition, e.g., you could carry a wheel gun in .357 Magnum, but you couldn't carry .357 Magnum ammunition in it. You were required to carry .38 158gr. lead round nose ammunition. Hollow point ammunition of any sort was forbidden. It took years to get those dangerous regulations changed.

posted Hide Post
The video said he emptied his first mag through the windshield. Any idea how long it took his hearing to recover, if at all? Eek

My tinnitus began with an outdoor adventure involving a 4" S&W Highway Patrol, my college roommate, and a box of .357mag ammunition. No hearing protection, but we were outdoors and thought it would be OK.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
part 2 of the question -

as you are approaching - can you steer with the left hand and reach over to 'unlock' the rack with your right hand?

i realize you wouldn't do this very often - just wondered if it was possible

Anything is possible, but it is very awkward at best as the rack is usually mounted on the cage/screen behind your right shoulder.

You can't deploy the long gun while in the vehicle and it would be highly unlikely that you'd break off an engagement to holster the gun you are already using and reach for a gun that you can't use until you get outside your car. Once you're outside, most officers aren't going to put away their sidearm to reach back inside to try to extract their long gun

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Officer needs to consider a more potant round like .357 Sig or 10mm. His shots seemed to be placed well. How a human can withstand that many hits is beyond me.

That's not always an option.

And that would have made what difference? How many times does it need to be said, "HANDGUN ROUNDS SUCK"?

Playing jerkoff caliber games is unnecessary and pointless.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While handgun rounds may suck, some suck less than others. If my life may be dependent on having the least sucky handgun round available, it's quite likely that I will find the discussion of and advocacy for having the best round possible neither unnecessary nor pointless.

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I was trained many years ago (before patrol rifles) that the shotgun was my primary weapon and the only reason to go to the handgun was I didn't have the time or warning to get my shotgun out. Unfortunately the first officer in an unfolding event does not have the time or forewarning.

With that said, I have been present twice when suspects were shot point blank right in the 10 ring with 12 ga 00 buck, and although fatal, in both cases the suspect had a couple seconds fight in him before expiring. And no, the shots did not move the bodies, they just crumpled.

Shot placement is king. However, other than a centerfire shot to the brainstem, you cannot predict with certainty the effect gunfire will have on the human body, hence multiple shot drills in LE training.

One can have too much ammo only 1). When on fire; 2). when swimming

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Unless you're a civilian. Then just having seven or ten rounds is all you need.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With all the crap in the cars the vertical mounts between the seats suck bad when you are trying to un-ass your rifle quickly.

We have several cars with the horizontal mount above the head and it will now be in all the cars from now on I believe. Much better to get to quickly. I have an 11.5” Colt Commando which is even easier to get in and out of the car quickly.

If you have time snatch that rifle. Sometimes it’s not in the cards.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
I was trained many years ago (before patrol rifles) that the shotgun was my primary weapon and the only reason to go to the handgun was I didn't have the time or warning to get my shotgun out. Unfortunately the first officer in an unfolding event does not have the time or forewarning.

With that said, I have been present twice when suspects were shot point blank right in the 10 ring with 12 ga 00 buck, and although fatal, in both cases the suspect had a couple seconds fight in him before expiring. And no, the shots did not move the bodies, they just crumpled.

Shot placement is king. However, other than a centerfire shot to the brainstem, you cannot predict with certainty the effect gunfire will have on the human body, hence multiple shot drills in LE training.

One can have too much ammo only 1). When on fire; 2). when swimming

My initial training and the first patrol sergeant had the same philosophy. Sarge always deployed with a shotgun. My second sergeant was an idiot who tried to write me and another guy up for deploying our long guns during person with a gun calls; we actually saw the subject had a pistol from a distance, in both cases turned out to be an modified airsoft. This idiot actually told us we shouldn't ever deploy with long guns AND had to give the bad guy the first shot. The write ups were rejected and overturned.....oh and he was promoted the following year to Lieutenant and eventually changed the policy to having a supervisor's permission before deploying long guns. I left that agency shortly after that, one of many reasons. Today (yes in this world and time with everything going on) that agency's policy and procedure is that IF suspect has pistol, no long gun for you. If the suspect has a long gun THEN you can deploy with a long gun WITH supervisor's permission.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:

When I was involved in my last OIS, there were six officers who fired a total of 66 shots over a matter of seconds before the suspect shooting at them ceased to be a threat. Without that CNS incapacitation, it's often impossible to discern whether or not the offender has been struck by even one bullet of many fired, until he falls to the ground (which can sometimes take minutes to occur). Uninformed people and even medical professionals often rely upon (dramatic) media representations of how they expect people should act when struck by gunfire. It's as unrealistic of an expectation as it is to criticize officers for carrying "lots" of ammunition or using it when a threat needs to be dealt with.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
"Why did the cop have to shoot him so many times?"

Because that's the number of holes required to convince him to lie down peacefully.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post