SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Why did the cop have to shoot him so many times?"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Why did the cop have to shoot him so many times?" Login/Join 
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted
The video below explains why as well as explaining why this particular cop now carries the equivalent of nearly three boxes of ammunition while on patrol.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Wow, worth watching!

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Wow, worth watching!

Wow indeed! I'm thinking I never want to be in that situation. Because what I carry won't last nearly that long...And that shot placement seemed to end it finally. Lessons to be learned here for sure.

Thanks for posting the video. FiveFiveSixFan

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
1. Nice job officer

2. That criminal was either mentally ill, jacked up on something strong or battle hardened from the killing fields of Chicago. To go toe to toe in a gunfight and stay in the fight after taking that many rounds is nuts.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Well, if you don't want the cops to have to shoot perps so many times, they could always do it this way instead...

Police Take Out Shooter The Fast & Efficient Way

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I recall reading this, here i think.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
Interesting that he switched from .45 to 9mm

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chance:

It was either that or get a Sherpa to carry the whole mess of magazines with 145 45ACP rounds.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
The cartoon was confusing to me. I'm glad the cop is all right.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have had two former SOCOM guys, one former SEAL and one former 75th Ranger Regiment, both tell me independently they carry 9mm. They prefer more shots, better placed and faster, over the bigger .45 acp. Both served in combat. Both said if you want knockdown, get a long gun.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yup. he did it because after that gunfight, he valued capacity a lot more than caliber.

I've read this story before, quite remarkable and it illustrates that even when shot through the heart, people can have 15-30 seconds plus of voluntary control left. That is a long time in a gunfight!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Is because the perp "had it coming for shooting at police" not the right answer?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pistols rounds suck - that has been debated and put to rest - we declare the 9 / 40 / 45 / 357 debate over

carry what you shoot well with quality JHPs. period

on another note - question for LE --

how quickly can you deploy the shotgun / AR from the rack? I am surprised he never deployed that...

kinda reminds me of the Miami deal where they pulled right up to the perps 'under-gunned'

-----------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Officer needs to consider a more potant round like .357 Sig or 10mm. His shots seemed to be placed well. How a human can withstand that many hits is beyond me.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
I recall reading this, here i think.

Yep. Ive seen the headline “why this cop carries 145 rounds” many times since the first article came out around 2012/2013. This is the first video ive seen with the graphic that illustrates the details of how it all happened. Pretty damn crazy.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:

how quickly can you deploy the shotgun / AR from the rack? I am surprised he never deployed that...

In that scenario, not nearly quickly enough, especially initially. I’m sure that once he dumped his first mag and saw the perp heading back to the car, he opted for speed of reload and re-engagement over precious seconds trying to deploy the long gun.

I’m pretty sure if I heard the doctors comment, I would have been powerless to keep from yelling that he was trying to kill me...possibly with some expletives in the mix.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Yeah, people don’t usually die instantly from one shot like they do in the movies and on TV. How about that?

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:

In that scenario, not nearly quickly enough, especially initially. I’m sure that once he dumped his first mag and saw the perp heading back to the car, he opted for speed of reload and re-engagement over precious seconds trying to deploy the long gun.

I’m pretty sure if I heard the doctors comment, I would have been powerless to keep from yelling that he was trying to kill me...possibly with some expletives in the mix.
Give the doctor a gun and let him go out and keep the streets safe. See what he has to say then.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
pistols rounds suck - that has been debated and put to rest - we declare the 9 / 40 / 45 / 357 debate over

carry what you shoot well with quality JHPs. period

kinda reminds me of the Miami deal where they pulled right up to the perps 'under-gunned'

-----------------------------------------------------

Other officers here can voice their opinions but in my experience, anytime I ever truly needed my gun it was right NOW. I didn't have time to worry about a rifle or shotgun sitting in the car next to me. I had to bail out asap, yank my pistol out of my holster as fast as I could, return fire while looking for some kind of cover.

Posts: 5732 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for the answers - I am guessing there are various types of in-car racks

part 2 of the question -

as you are driving up to the encounter - can you multi-task??

as you are approaching - can you steer with the left hand and reach over to 'unlock' the rack with your right hand?

i realize you wouldn't do this very often - just wondered if it was possible

i realize the handgun on his hip was the best / fastest option in this case once everything started to go down - especially given that he fired the initial return fire from the seated position

my gut tells me probably 50% or more other cops are killed in that scenario (he was a SWAT guy with much higher than average firearms training)

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post