SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Salt on your watermelon?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Salt on your watermelon? Login/Join 
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize how passionate some folks about their fruits! In NC its just about 50/50 on the salt. I will have to try the lime juice on the honeydew though.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I don't put salt on my watermelon, but I do understand it. Salt and sweetness do go well together. Ever have chocolate covered pretzels? Or anything of that nature combining salty and sweet?

I can assure you that a chocolate covered pretzel is better than a naked pretzel and better than plain chocolate.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
Watermelon is almost inedible without salt.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Yep...I voted salt...but I will go both ways (on watermellon Big Grin)...I've even had it BBQ'd in Savannah years ago (it was...odd).

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
I'll see your salt and raise you Julio's Seasoning, not just for watermelon, but fruit salads.

Julios

Quoted for truth. Julio’s is the bomb!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I might use some salt on watermelon that isn't sweet. But generally, no salt on sweet watermelon.

I do make kimchee using watermelon - the white edge (no red or rind). Sweet, juicy, crisp, salty, spicy. Yum.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Sometimes

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11276 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
That has never occurred to me. Generally I don't like salty/sweet combinations.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I like salt on cantaloupe.
I did that many years ago, but stopped a long time back. Never salted watermelon, though.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
My brother salts his watermelon, but then again, he is maladjusted in other ways too.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Hell yes and that goes for tomatoes cantaloupes and cucumbers also.

Yup, and been doing for more than 75 years.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Yes Salt and sometimes Pepper also. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I prefer my melons natural and unenhanced.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on how sweet the melon is. If it's not sweet and not much flavor I'll throw a little salt on it.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I used to do it, when I was a kid. Now, though, between cutting back on salt a number of years ago and preferring to taste watermelon and not salt I eat my watermelon unadulterated.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Hell no on watermelons and I really like salt on most things.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not only do my wife and I insist on salt on the watermelon, I put sugar on sliced tomatos

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With salt is the only way, it brings out the flavor. Everyone who says no way has never tried it or is just plain watermelon deficient.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Watermelon w/o salt is just wrong.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are no rules . Put whatever you like on it .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post