SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Salt on your watermelon?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Salt on your watermelon? Login/Join 
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Yes, but not a lot and not all the time.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
i get my salt as often as i can.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
You guys are kidding, right? Salt on fresh tomatoes and cucumbers, you bet. Watermelon, no way. My grandfather used to put ketchup on apple pie, so I guess anything is possible. Smile

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
it's a Southern thing, isn't it?.

Yep....yep it is!!

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Just a touch. Not enough to taste "salty." It does enhance the watermelon flavor.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:

Yep....yep it is!!

Yankees eating watermelon is cultural appropriation. Big Grin

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. Smile

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never, well was convinced to try it once, but never again. Too delicious without it.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Salt (kosher preferably) on watermelon, pepper on cantelope and fresh lime juice on honeydew melon!

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
May as well put ketchup on ice cream.
Bunch of dirty damned hippies.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ryanp225,

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:

Yep....yep it is!!

No, no it isn't. Or perhaps it's highly localized in some parts of the South--like the oddballs in the midlands of SC who like yellow mustard-based BBQ sauce. Razz

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'd probably like it, though I've never tried it. Love salt on my grapefruit!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Hell yes and that goes for tomatoes cantaloupes and cucumbers also.

Ditto.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Voted no, but honestly without salt there's almost no flavor anyway.

Verrrrrrrry far down my list of foods I'll waste the energy to cut and eat.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I'll see your salt and raise you Julio's Seasoning, not just for watermelon, but fruit salads.

Julios

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Not sure how to vote on this one.

This would be me. I will say I prefer salt on the slightly unripe melons. And none on the sweet ripe ones.

And it might indeed be a southern thing to replenish lost salt from sweat.

My Wife is a 7th generation Floridian,only salt on all types. She is the one that first got this Virginian Hillbilly to try salt. I at first considered it sacrilegious to even contemplate! But it's worth a try if you haven't. As are most things in life. Ya never know you just might like it.

Posts: 4409 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I like my watermelon with Tajin on it.

Posts: 11158 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salty Dawg:
I'll eat it either way, but I always hit it with a little salt if I'm home.

Yep! Learned it from my Dad.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I take a page from our neighbors to the south--I put spicy-salty-limey Tajin seasoning on watermelon.

I like to crush up thai chili peppers into salt, make an ultra spicy paste, and use that to season some fruits too--unripe mangos and guavas.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Sacrilege.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post