SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2016 Honda Accord Question (Oil Light)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2016 Honda Accord Question (Oil Light) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by rangeme101:
Same as said above. I have a 2011 Pilot (Touring 4WD-V6) and it specifically says in the owners manual to let the vehicle computers tell you when any maintenance is due. Its all based on how each individual vehicle is driven. Honda uses a alpha numeric system to tell you when and what needs attention. So far for the past 3.5 yrs we have owned the vehicle, it has been around just over 5K miles on oil changes. The dealer automatically puts the reminder sticker at 5K intervals but the onboard Honda system goes past that. I ask dealer what to follow and was told to follow the onboard computer. That the reminder sticker is generic for them. I just do what the computer says and so far no issues. Using Honda filters and synthetic at dealer. Which has been less expensive then doing the oil changes myself.

I will say that when it said to check brakes the brakes actually needed replacement, which I did myself. Again its been pretty accurate on telling what needs attention. Some things are mileage related only though, like the timing belt, brake fluid, trans fluid, diff fluid and transfer case. Timing belt is mileage/age...105K/7yrs and the brake fluid is every 3yrs regardless of mileage. The other drivetrain fluids are every 30K.

If you have a timing belt make sure you do at mileage/age interval. Honda engines are interference engines and damage to valves/pistons can occur if the belt brakes.

Only the V6 Accord has the timing belt. My 2006 Accord V6, 6sp had a timing belt.

They moved to a timing chain in 07 or 08.

Our 08 V6 still had a timing belt, yet the 4's had a chain.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
It was my understanding that it was based off the number of times you start the engine. Lots of highway driving? You'll get more miles between oil change. Maybe it is more involved than that.

I got a whole wad of free oil changes from my dealership one time when they forgot to put my drain plug in and did a burnout on the spilled oil on the garage floor, slinging oil everywhere. The service advisor still remembers me very well when I come in. That and V6 2015 Accords don't come in all that often.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m with jljones and Black92LX. Oil is so cheap, and everyone forgets about the efficiency/quality of the FILTER. Even if the oil can may be rated for “20,000 miles”, your filter isn’t.

I live where it’s over 100 degrees 30+ days a year, and drive through dusty areas as well. Since it’s so inexpensive to change oil/filter (vs cost of vehicle), I change mine every 3k-4k miles, including any leased autos/trucks. Taking care of mechanical things is just important to me.

Stay safe, Stece

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoinRoller:
I’m with jljones and Black92LX. Oil is so cheap, and everyone forgets about the efficiency/quality of the FILTER. Even if the oil can may be rated for “20,000 miles”, your filter isn’t.

I live where it’s over 100 degrees 30+ days a year, and drive through dusty areas as well. Since it’s so inexpensive to change oil/filter (vs cost of vehicle), I change mine every 3k-4k miles, including any leased autos/trucks. Taking care of mechanical things is just important to me.

Stay safe, Stece

Advance Auto parts usually has synthetic oil and a quality filter for around $35. It takes me about 30 minutes of my time for an oil and filter change. I do it from 3-5k miles and consider it cheap insurance, there is no harm to changing the oil before necessary and at $35 every 3-5k miles it’s relatively cheap. I could (and have in the past) send an oil sample for analysis if they really want to see the condition of the oil.

Posts: 4107 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
hunter62,

Obviously the salesman skipped the product knowledge classes........

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post