SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone own an arcade machine?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone own an arcade machine? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I was thinking of getting an arcade cabinet. Anyone have one? How do they hold up? Is it constant maintenance?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My neighbor built one. Comes disassembled case. You buy flat screen monitor/TV, computer (emulator), and graphics (Lord's Arcade etc.) cabling. It came with speakers and backlighting for display, you purchase and customize joysticks which were precut for cabinet.

He's got it working but I haven't played with it much because I suck at video games and he changed careers. Pretty freaking cool though.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I have a Chicago Gaming "Arcade Legends" machine that came with a weekly-beach-rental house I bought in 2012. I don't know how old the machine is but it is the first edition and they are up to edition 3 now.

I had to replace some of the switches in 2012 - the Chicago Gaming people had spare parts, manuals and gave good service when I called in, and the work was super-easy. And it's held up great since then.

Rental usage is pretty hard but only for 1/3 of the year - the rest of the year it's not used at all - not sure how that would map into normal usage.

It's a multi-game machine rather than a dedicated machine.

No moving parts in this one, of course.

Growing up, my family had a pinball machine in the basement. Gottleib Wishing Well (1955)

5 balls for a nickel! Woo-hoo!
Now that one - that one needed mechanical maintenance all the time as I recall. Wink

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
I have a Chicago Gaming "Arcade Legends" machine that came with a weekly-beach-rental house I bought in 2012. I don't know how old the machine is but it is the first edition and they are up to edition 3 now.

I had to replace some of the switches in 2012 - the Chicago Gaming people had spare parts, manuals and gave good service when I called in, and the work was super-easy. And it's held up great since then.

Rental usage is pretty hard but only for 1/3 of the year - the rest of the year it's not used at all - not sure how that would map into normal usage.

It's a multi-game machine rather than a dedicated machine.

No moving parts in this one, of course.

Growing up, my family had a pinball machine in the basement. Gottleib Wishing Well (1955)

5 balls for a nickel! Woo-hoo!
Now that one - that one needed mechanical maintenance all the time as I recall. Wink

I've got a multi game like the one on top. My kids played it all the time with their friends. Now that they are in college it gathers dust. No maintenance required since the day I bought it used. Just keeps working.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post