SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cleaning glue off concrete
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning glue off concrete Login/Join 
posted
We dug out one end of the house to make our basement a walk out. The poured walls (brick-shaped texture) had polystyrene sheet glued to them.
I'm scraping it off, but there is a lot of glue left behind that I'll need to deal with before they come to cut the door & window holes.

Current plan is to finish scraping the big chunks off tomorrow and then:
A) Muratic acid & pressure wash
B) Wire cup brush & angle grinder
C) Both A & B
D) ???????

I'm not sure if the wire brush is a good idea or not. I'll try it in a small spot first. Don't like A, but that's most likely to work.

Any suggestions or warnings would be appreciated.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Looks like acetone will dissolve Styrofoam so it may also attack the glue.

https://www.thoughtco.com/diss...am-in-acetone-608924

You could try it on a spot and see what happens.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it was me, first I'd try a heat gun to see how much I could get off. Then I'd use the stuff I scraped off to test a few different organic solvents. Acetone, MEK, Toluene, etc. to see which one is best at loosening the stuff up. If you can find out the manufacture of the adhesive, their website might provide some info on the best product to use to remove it.

KenS

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
does the ultimate finish matter? My inclination is to just mechanically (grind rather than wire brush) it off. or burn it off then grind.
Solvent is likely to just move it around on the substrate.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just don't use your tongue.

Takes freakin' forever

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
My plan "A" would be my 4300 PSI pressure washer.

Photos?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://diamabrush.com/product/hand-tools/

We used this to remove glue from out concrete floor. It works fast and effortless, but be warned. It is extremely dusty. Be sure to wear a proper mask when using and seal off any where you don't want dust to go. I picked it up at Home Depot.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Just don't use your tongue.

Takes freakin' forever
Eek

I am hard pressed to refrain from asking.

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The construction cement typically used for that needs to be mechanically removed. A 4.5" grinder is in order. The knotted type cup brush should do.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WIll the knotted cup brush/4.5" angle grinder tear up the concrete? WOuld like to leave it bare, but covering might happen. The finish of the new retaining walls is slightly different & my wife already noticed, therefore it is a deal killer.

I'm testing solvents now & acetone is breaking up some of the gummy glue/cement/whatever this shit is.
Need to grab some MEK & other stuff to try,

Plan A didn't do shit. Power washer with 15* tip would have taken forever to knock the foam that was stuck on off & didn't do much to the glue left behind. 0* took even longer, but cut foam into smaller sections.
Acid didn't do anything to the glue, but it makes what was already clean look a lot nicer - that will be a finishing step.
Shoulda tried plan B before I left for Menards, but I wanted to get the acid washed off.....

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have used water stop to put a finish coat on concrete and have also used it to fill a crack in the basement floor by chipping a V in the crack and then filling. I finish the surface with a brick after it has dried some and the surface is wetted.

You can add color to the mixture as well.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/QUIKR...ALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a poured wall, with a brick-shaped pattern that has squiggles running in the 'brick' and smooth 'mortar' spots. If it was a flat/smooth floor, it would be much easier.

I couldn't find a solved that dissolved the goop, it would make it less sticky, but wouldn't penetrate. Acetone MIGHT work, but I'd need a metric fuckton.
Knotted cup brush just flung bits of goop everywhere, but it didn't take much off. Gummed it up right away & basically made designs in the muck. Then I hit foam & got styrofoam balls stuck to the goop on me. Good thing I'm going to cut my hair tonight...

Contractor will have to come up with plan E on this one.

Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I've use industrial strength Goof Off. Let it sit and then use a scraper. Makes the whole job easier.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post