SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apolitical citizens
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apolitical citizens Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted
I'll admit, I don't get it.

This week, I have been emailing back and forth a little with an old friend from years ago, haven't been in contact with each other in over 10 years. He has always been non committal as far as politics, while I have been a political junkie since late high school. But when I broached the subject of the election, he stated that he was not interested in who won, didn't care, they are all the same, political changes have NEVER interfered with his personal life no matter who has been President. Didn't care about election fraud, whether it happened or not, he literally shrugs it away. He says he just "rolls with the punches", whether it is taxes, government restrictions, riots, foreign military action, etc. He literally does not care.

As far as I know, he likely still doesn't vote, he never has in the past. He is a little younger than me, his wife has an adult child from a previous marriage. I can't say we're great friends anymore, too much has gone by in the years.

To me, it is puzzling to live like this, for me, it is a head-shaker. I mean, is ignorance truly bliss when it comes to politics? Or is he being a fool to be out of touch with what is happening around him, around the country he lives in?

Do you guys know people like this?

I repeat, I don't get it at all, I truly don't. I think it is strange in these times to not give a shit when it comes to how politics effects the country.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ignorance is bliss. Don't you want bliss ? However, stupidity hurts. You just need to find the sweet spot

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I'm not at all like him but I get his point. 8 years of Obama wasn't as good as 4 years of Trump but I can't say that my quality of life changed significantly the last four years. You could argue it was better for the future of my grandkids but someone will come along and take backward steps. And I guess your friend is better than someone you know would vote against you. But that doesn't mean you can't be friends and care about each other.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Your friend is a Fucking idiot and I admire their level to ignorance. That truly is bliss....seriously, that’s not a jab. I envy those who have managed to truly stay apolitical.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
they are all the same

There's some truth to that. There was very little difference between Daddy Bush and Clinton, Sonny Bush and Gore, McCain and Obama, Romney and Obama. They were much more alike than different. In each case, and many more before that, we voted for the former because they were the lesser of the evils. Put South Park style, it was like a giant douche vs. a turd sandwich. Donald Trump is the first in many years who has been truly different.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
They are all the same. I keep reminding people that Trump is not the GOP. The GOP are still a bunch of Democrat lite, spineless wishy washy idiots, half of which are never Trumpers who are just as happy he lost as the left is.

He won because we were tired of both sides. He lost because the right and the left had to get rid of him. He upset the status quo and had to be stopped. That's why you haven't seen many GOP dbags support him now

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Ask him if he went to rent a car, would he want to test drive one of the 539 white Civic sedans, or the red Hellcat?

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. One of my sisters fits in to this. The few friends I have are political citizens, some on the left unfortunately.

Me, political, since I could speak, perhaps even crawl.

My 10th grade English class, everyone has to write a term paper, was on the first 2 years of the Carter debacle. Was to be neutral, but.... Today I'd be expelled or at least suspended.

Got an A on it, even with my misspellings - being an ESL, while at least being consistent in my misspellings, earned me a little slack.

Being politically / current events informed is a duty of each citizen. Knowing more about the Kardashians than current events should be automatically disqualification from voting and procreating.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are "political people"
who have all kinds of opinions that love to expound endlessly ,
in person , on the phone and on the internet,
But will never do anything but yak, Yammer and proclaim.

Then

There are the political people who actually get of their asses and produce results for their political cause through time , effort, sacrifice and diligence.

I think the ratio is in the neighborhood of 91 yakkers to 1 political doer.

I.m.o. ,calling yourself "political" because you tell everyone your opinions about people and their opinions is tantamount to calling one's self a designer because you can dress yourself.

The term "All hat and no cattle"
Comes to mind.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
He won because we were tired of both sides. He lost because the right and the left had to get rid of him. He upset the status quo and had to be stopped. That's why you haven't seen many GOP dbags support him now

How did you come to this conclusion, "He lost"?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I think the ratio is in the neighborhood of 91 yakkers to 1 political doer..

Your opinion must be based on some data?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Imo, the spineless RINOs and the Dems are all the same. Then BHO took it up a notch, fundamentally transforming America. One only has to look at Obamacare to know what tyranny is. One only has to look at the Trump presidency to know what liberty/freedom is. If you said you personal life has not been affected in any ways from Obama to Trump, then you are a fucking idiot. And, on the local level, try to live in Portland or Seattle, then go live in Sioux Falls or OK City, and come back and tell me with a straight face your life wasn't affected differently in those locations, then I'll call you a liar.

Q

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It's not the same. Perhaps the change is gradual and the impact on his (voting eligible) life is not significant for HIS context. But there are macro trends that he may care about for his descendants.

If he's not materially affected and doesn't care about what happens to descendants, if any, then fine. But it's stupid to say it's all the same because it's not. There are trends, no matter how material they may be to him.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do politics really impact his daily life? He wakes up, goes to work, comes homes, goes to bed on repeat. His taxes move a little bit not enough to hurt or provide a windfall. His job is his job. His local government keeps the streets paved and the water running and the garbage picked up. If violent crime doesn’t land on his head what’s there for him to really care about. Yeah, maybe it’s death by a thousand cuts but he’s the frog in the pot that’s slowing coming to boil. By the time he notices it’s too hot he’s already cooked. A lot people are apathetic because the red meat issues that tend to get some people riled up are things they don’t prioritize.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your opinion must be based on some data?

Based on what I see on the tv and on the internet.

Imagine the ramifications,

If all those protesters,
all the talking head "experts" and all the arm chair "politically oriented" people
spent 12 hours per week going to an organized , productive work place that actually aided the political cause of their choice.

Instead of just typing or protesting about what they want to happen.

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
There are "political people"
who have all kinds of opinions that love to expound endlessly ,
in person , on the phone and on the internet,
But will never do anything but yak, Yammer and proclaim.

Then

There are the political people who actually get of their asses and produce results for their political cause through time , effort, sacrifice and diligence.

I think the ratio is in the neighborhood of 91 yakkers to 1 political doer.

I.m.o. ,calling yourself "political" because you tell everyone your opinions about people and their opinions is tantamount to calling one's self a designer because you can dress yourself.

The term "All hat and no cattle"
Comes to mind.

Clear and insightful post, bendable (are you really bendable?). I consider myself "political" and I support favored candidates with small donations and my sacred vote. BUT! a liberal ex-friend showed all of us up by writing 200 personal get-out-to-vote letters. She passes the bendable test with flying colors.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She might be one to have a discussion with,
Does she have the blanket approach ?where " all things liberal "
have to be correct ,for everyone ?all the time?

Or does she have a particular cause or two that she Rally's for?

posted Hide Post
I would rather someone like that than someone that votes based on feelings instead of facts.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I have said before and I firmly believe this. I have never blamed a President or given a President credit for what my lot in life may be at any given time. Everything I have experienced in my life good or bad can be directly traced to my own decision making.

The important part is to retain the freedom of making you're own decisions good or bad.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do politics really impact his daily life? He wakes up, goes to work, comes homes, goes to bed on repeat. His taxes move a little bit not enough to hurt or provide a windfall. His job is his job.

quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I have said before and I firmly believe this. I have never blamed a President or given a President credit for what my lot in life may be at any given time. Everything I have experienced in my life good or bad can be directly traced to my own decision making.

The important part is to retain the freedom of making you're own decisions good or bad.

A lot of people are apolitical. That's OK, in the abstract, and in the individual case.
The problem is that these decisions really do affect everyone, although you may not notice any change in your daily life for decades to come. Good decisions take time to implement. Poor decisions too have a corrosive effect but over time. A healthy Republic requires an informed and active citizenry.

Americans gathered on the steps of Independence Hall to await the news of the government our founders had crafted. They asked Benjamin Franklin, ‘What do we have, a republic or a monarchy?’ Franklin replied, ‘A republic, if you can keep it.’ Our responsibility is to keep it.”

Well, Mr. Franklin, we've had a good run. The first 200 years were really good, in fact. Thank you for that. But I'm not sure we're up to the task of keeping it anymore.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23944 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post