SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Incredible Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane load delivery
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Incredible Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane load delivery Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
You gotta watch this to the very end.

It may happen every day, but still...WOW!

Who needs a ground crew?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Mad skills!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Impressive piloting skills. What does this guy make an hour?

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Amazing, it's not just hitting one spot, the tower needs to be aligned properly for all four legs.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Piece of cake!

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Impressive piloting skills. What does this guy make an hour?

Not enough!! Great job of flying...

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
No way that was real, did you see how slow the rotors were turning... Razz

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I'm betting he's done that before.

Posts: 3235 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The CO ArNG had those at Buckley Field back in 1988 when I was in the ANG with A-7s.

Does anyone know why the Army got rid of them? Could the Chinook do the heavy lift mission almost as well?

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I used to sling load howitzers under those in past days. What a blow job!

Posts: 9038 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Search Erickson Air Crane. That is exactly the type of work they do. Other videos available on tube to see them in action.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Hold my beer....watch this.”

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
I'm betting he's done that before.
A couple two tree times. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Damn that guy is good.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Riddle me this, is the pilot doing all the work or is there another person operating the "crane" portion? Impressive worthier way, just curious.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
The CO ArNG had those at Buckley Field back in 1988 when I was in the ANG with A-7s.

Does anyone know why the Army got rid of them? Could the Chinook do the heavy lift mission almost as well?

The Chinook is arguably better. The modern Chinook has a 24,000lbs payload, where the CH-54 was 20,000lbs, and the dual rotor setup has advantages in stability.
While the Skycrane is purpose built for heavy lift, the Chinook could manage the role while being a more useful all-around helicopter. With budget cuts the way they were, the Chinook was the clear winner.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was really cool.

One time while living a block and a half off of Michigan Ave in Chicago we were awoken by some loud noises. Look out and a helo is going down between all the skyscrapers. At the same time, Michigan Ave was completely blocked and semis with huge AC units pulled up. Helo locks on, pulls these half-a-trailer sized units off and takes them and drops them on the roof top. Was a pretty insane sight to see. It all happened at like 7-8am on Sunday and as fast as they arrived they were done. Was quite impressive.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From a Flying magazine article in 2012:

https://www.flyingmag.com/airc...ne-back-seat-driving

"Unique among helicopters, the Erickson Air-Crane has a third pilot’s seat, facing aft toward the tail rotor. An enclosure similar to a glassed-in phone booth contains flight controls that operate the helicopter’s trim systems, making small adjustments possible. Perched on the tiny cushion, the rear pilot has a perfect view of the area beneath the machine.

A National Geographic crew filmed Max Evans in Olga as he assembled a 1,400-foot-tall TV tower using the Erickson Air-Crane. It’s a carefully choreographed job, including a crew in the helicopter and another on the tower. Watching Max fly tons of roaring machine and dangling steel is like watching Rembrandt paint. … Small, almost imperceptible movements put each tower section exactly on the pins of the tower section below. An error of just a couple of feet could kill one of the tower crew, so the operation is an exercise in communication, skill and trust.

When the tower section slides over the pins, Max lowers the aircraft slightly to put slack in the cables, triggers the release clamps and then lifts up and away as the guys on the tower start ratcheting down nuts. He’ll get a minute or two to relax as the front-seat crew flies back to the staging site, and then he’ll do it all again."

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
What does this guy make an hour?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
That's some fancy flying there.

On another note, I'm surprised Sikorsky or Boeing hasn't put a helicopter like that back in production. Those are old birds, and VERY useful. Something like a Chinook beefed up and up engined, without a cargo cabin, but with a rear facing flight station in the cockpit, would do the job. I think that both militaries (not just the US) and civilian operators would buy them.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post