SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Duke Weight and Fitness Program
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duke Weight and Fitness Program Login/Join 
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
While I never thought about smoking, I worked at the hospital maintenance shop one summer while in high school. The morgue was in the basement next to the maintenance shop and it was not unusual to see specimens from an autopsy.

The pathologist showed me the lungs of a person that had smoked and they looked like coal tar while the lungs of a non-smoker were pink. I will never forget his convincing presentation.

And bacon, Big Grin well, lets say I ate my share long ago when camping outdoors but later learned it was better to do without. So Jeff, you have some hard choices to make and I can see hog futures starting to tank when the information gets out. Wink

Good luck and forget about the surgery, you can do it.

By the way, Dr. Weil has a series on Healthy Aging: Your Online Guide to the Anti-Infammatory Diet:

http://www.drweilonhealthyagin...omo=HealthyMarch2017

You can also sign up for his emails on health, food, and recipes.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Maggie and I wish you nothing but the best.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Good luck! Learn lots, and then apply it (I'm in for the bacon karma Wink).

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
You can do it!

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Good luck Jeff!

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Jeff, as an ex smoker who quit after 37 years of the Cancer Sticks I have to tell you that the MOST DAMAGING thing you can do to your health is smoke. I know, they are just Cigars. Doesn't matter, it's still very very unhealthy. So just quit, in a few years you'll barely miss them and if the urge hits you just think about what they cost. BTW, when I quit my pack & 1/2 a day habit it effectively put 300 tax free dollars a month into my pocket.<snip>

Jeff,

Best of success to you at Duke. Yours is a journey that many of us on this forum have struggled with at some point in our lives. I often joke that once I reach my goal I am going to write a book titled, "Eat Less & Exercise More". (since that seems to be the most common advice I get).

While we can 'bust balls' on the forum from time-to-time, there is no other place online where the members will be equally supportive. We've all got your back.

In regards to Scooter123's post above, I agree 100%. In fact out of friendship, I am willing to rent a mini-moving truck and drive down to North Carolina to remove that stash of Cuban goodness err contraband and relieve you of that burden. Don't worry I will dispose of them smoke them. That is just the kind of guy I am!

Best, my friend,

John

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck Jeff. While I can't speak specifically to the program you're going to take, I can definitively say that Duke has a tremendous medical group. I have fortunately/unfortunately had a few surgeries there and have always had great care before, during, and after. Hope everything goes well for you.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Thanks John!

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeff, my ex did the Duke fat farm when we were dating (she was like 22-23 at the time). She went for a month. Not obese really, just a heavier Sophia Loren Italian body type. Without Loren's tiny waist. I went down to Duke for a weekend after she was there for weeks. The results were amazing and we never got out of her motel room for 3 days.

Unfortunately she did not maintain the lifestyle changes of the farm. When we split 30 yrs later she could have been DL for the Steelers.

I am sure you will do better. It is a good program.

Posts: 100 | Location: Myrtle Beach SC | Registered: August 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The best Jeff.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Good luck Jeff! You got this.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post