SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Duke Weight and Fitness Program
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duke Weight and Fitness Program Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted
I’m getting ready to head off to Duke Diet and Fitness center for a couple of weeks. This program has a great reputation combining health care, fitness and nutrition.

https://www.dukedietandfitness.org

I have a few complicated health issues that make it hard to get enough exercise to lose weight and lose weight I must. I expect that two weeks at the fat farm will give me the kick-start that I need. Unfortunately insurance will not cover it but it’s worth it to me.

If I do not succeed I’ll have to have Bariatric surgery. I was actually schedule to have this a couple of weeks ago and decided to try Duke first….hoping to avoid the knife.

The silver lining….I can smoke a cigar once in a while. While preparing for bariatric surgery I gave them up for three months.

I’m enjoying a Juan Lopez #2 on my sunny deck, a beautiful day in the mountains.

I am really looking forward to this program and I am committed.

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Best of luck, Yarchin.

This mean your karmas will be switching to turkey bacon? Big Grin

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
Best of luck, Yarchin.

This mean your karmas will be switching to turkey bacon? Big Grin

Either that or I have a bunch to get rid of. Big Grin

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I really do wish you the best luck. I wish I could come with you!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
The best of luck to you, Jeff.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Best of luck from the other side of NC! Duke is impressive in all things medical, you will be in good hands.

Posts: 728 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Good luck!! There is always cutting splitting and stacking firewood too!!!

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
Didn't know about that program. It looks great. Have fun! And all the best

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you Jeff.

JP

Posts: 2047 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:
Best of luck to you Jeff.

JP

This! I hope it works out 110% for you-

=============================================

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you Jeff. Wave as you go by.

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2988 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
Good luck! Try to avoid bariatric surgery if you can.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1894 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do... or do not.
There is no try.
Picture of fau
posted Hide Post
Good luck Jeff.

Posts: 2736 | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck Jeff. Look into investing in a Vitamixer.

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Best of luck, Jeff. I hope it does everything you need.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Good luck Jeff. Look into investing in a Vitamixer.

Got one.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

posted Hide Post
Jeff, as an ex smoker who quit after 37 years of the Cancer Sticks I have to tell you that the MOST DAMAGING thing you can do to your health is smoke. I know, they are just Cigars. Doesn't matter, it's still very very unhealthy. So just quit, in a few years you'll barely miss them and if the urge hits you just think about what they cost. BTW, when I quit my pack & 1/2 a day habit it effectively put 300 tax free dollars a month into my pocket.

The second aspect is Exercise. Once you get to a certain age you have to really commit do doing your Cardio every day, if you decide you "need a day off" that can turn into a week and then just not doing it at all. Pick a nearby gym that has a wide range of hours available and pick a time of day that works for you and hit the gym at that time every day.

Finally, the best approach to weight loss is the SLOW AND STEADY approach. Losing just one pound a week can seem to make it forever before you see any gains but after a full year you are 52 lbs lighter. As for why the slow approach is so much better, current theory is that sudden weight loss kicks the body into a "starvation response". As a response as soon as you resume a "normal" calorie intake you will start piling on weight. It's why all these quick weight loss schemes you see advertized nearly always leads to a yo-yo cycle of weight loss and gain and the trend line is always increasing. Take it slow and your body will reset as you lose the weight and when you hit your "ideal" weight it will be much easier to maintain that weight.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of qcsmitty
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Jeff.

Posts: 3778 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck! Hope you like rice!

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post