SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone here use Xfinity Home??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone here use Xfinity Home?? Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
I already have a triple play deal with Comcast for cable, phone and internet. They are running some good deals to add in their Xfinity Home service. Anyone have any experience with this service?

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I have Comcast internet and cable but no phone. They keep bugging me about adding the phone for triple play and that it will lower my bill. The problem is that we can't keep the current phone number so it's a no go. I'm really getting tired of the games they play but both of us like the current service we have. We're getting another $5 increase next month and they claim it's because service costs are rising. I call bullshit on that. I'm sure it has more to do with people cutting the cable for other cheaper options in droves.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
We're getting another $5 increase next month and they claim it's because service costs are rising. I call bullshit on that. I'm sure it has more to do with people cutting the cable for other cheaper options in droves.

Cutting subscription TV: Yes. They're trying to make up for the revenue loss.

Everybody knew this would happen. People like my wife and I benefited greatly from the early years of cord-cutting, because Internet service rates remained attractively low for the relatively small percentage of us doing it. But I knew that eventually the prices would rise as more-and-more people joined us.

Do you have any competing services in your area? We at least have the thing that calls itself "at&t" to hold over Comcast's head. (I would utterly hate moving to that execrable company, but I ain't telling Comcast that.)

And 5G wireless is coming. There's that.

As for Comcast Home: I would never do that--any more than I'd have anybody else monitoring my home like that. I wouldn't use Comcast phone service or pay for Comcast subscription TV, either. And we don't. But I'm a tech geek and retired. I have the knowledge to roll my own, the time in which to do it, and doing so amuses me Smile

One BIG problem with putting all your eggs in a single basket is lock-in. The way I'm doing it is more trouble, and possibly more expensive--at least initially, but which ISP I'm using has no bearing on the functionality of our home phone, streaming services, alarm system connectivity/reporting, or our surveillance system's operation.

I had a boss, long ago, who warned me never to use single-sourced parts in a design. I one time ignored him and did it, anyway. When the vendor, thinking they had me by the short ones, tried to take advantage of me I was obliged to execute an on-the-fly redesign to get out from under their thumb.

I never forgot that lesson.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
No good alternative here at all. We have AT&T available but from people that have tried it, it sucks big time. I'm spoiled by Comcast internet, so there's that.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
No good alternative here at all. We have AT&T available but from people that have tried it, it sucks big time.

Got a new neighbour last year was going to go w/A&T. Told him: 1. AT&T sucks here and 2. I have Comcast Business Internet, so, going with Comcast he'd be riding on my coattails for reliability.

After AT&T bollixed two or three appointments he went with Comcast. Now he's talking about AT&T again. I just smile and nod. If he does, he'll find out.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have Comcast internet and cable but no phone. They keep bugging me about adding the phone for triple play and that it will lower my bill. The problem is that we can't keep the current phone number so it's a no go. I'm really getting tired of the games they play but both of us like the current service we have. We're getting another $5 increase next month and they claim it's because service costs are rising. I call bullshit on that. I'm sure it has more to do with people cutting the cable for other cheaper options in droves.

Jim

Yes and instead of embracing it and seeing that streaming is the future and the concept of a cable box with a wire is dying, these MORONS are fighting it and punishing people. They could rake in millions and add millions of new subscribers if they got on the streaming-only bandwagon.

It just amazes me how short sighted this company is. Confused

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I've got Comcast Internet (450mb), TV and mobile. I will be replacing my landline with their VOIP line (yes I still have a land line). I'm happy with the services but I also get them as courtesy services. I can tell you that the company is aggressively pursuing streaming. It's a little more complex than something like netflix.

Posts: 3999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post