SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do we like for LED lights for a gun safe?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for LED lights for a gun safe? Login/Join 
Picture of rexles
posted
I'm interested in putting an LED rope light in my safe and wondered what fellow SIgforum folks have used and liked.
I prefer AC and have an 110 V outlet available.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a led strip set from Lowes. It is not a rope light but it works well for me and gives off a lot of light. You can buy a couple of them, join them together and are self adhesive on one side.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I use LED strip, installed around the inside of the door. It's adhesive but doesn't stick to the carpet very well... but I found that velcro holds it in place great. I used a microswitch which automatically turns it on when the door opens.

5 meter spool of strip is under ten bucks on Amazon; salvaged a wall wart and other parts from my parts bin.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I used an LED strip from ikea. Works well for me and it was like $10.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are the stuff I bought a few years back. Looks like pricing is up about $5 total, still not too bad.

I connected it through the hole for the dehumidifier. I can take pictures of how I ran it inside, no issues with it coming off at all. I have it connected to a surge protector with a switch that I placed on top of the safe for easy on and off.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We got a motion activated kit from Amazon for just over $50. We got the 6 light model. Allows a lot of flexibility for stringing them together. The adhesive tape has held them in place so far.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightin...300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Posts: 56 | Registered: November 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I bought this as it had a battery operation and motion detector.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I found a strip on Amazon that adheres to the inside edge of the door, is motion-activated, and wall powered. My safe has a port in the back to pass electric through, powers my Goldenrod and the lights. The lights work very well, nicely illuminating the interior without blinding me.

My searching on Amazon doesn't find this product currenly available, nor does my two-year-old order link work, but there seem to be a number of products that would work. Much, of course, depends on your specific safe geometry.

ETA: the fixture consists of a motion detector module/controller about 3" high and 2" wide that fastens to an interior wall. This feeds six LED strips that are daisy-chained with low-voltage cables, and banana-style plugs, each strip is about 18" long with an LED every inch. triangular in cross-section with adhesive strips on the two flats without leds. I cannot find any manufacturer's marks on the fixture, but it looks to be of the finest Chinese manufacture.

Sorry for this relatively information-free post. Hope it helps somehow.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: architect,

Posts: 6469 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought this kit, two in the long gun safe and one in my nightstand. They all light up if the surrounding room is dark and motion is sensed. I'm delighted with how they work and the price was right. Motion Detecting LED Stick on Lights

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post