SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Long term water storage
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long term water storage Login/Join 
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
You guys do it the hard way.

Just buy a bunch of Dehydrated Water from Amazon.

Stores easily, uses less space, much lighter to tote around.

Or you can just make your own Dehydrated Water
it's easy peazy to make, save a few bucks.

It never goes bad or gives an off taste.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Can"t believe it took so long for some one to have this suggestion. HeHe He. ........................drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also like the two part storage system.

I recently upgraded my 2 week supply water storage system to water bricks and Reliance Rhino (I picked the Rhino because it has a screw down air vent to seal properly, unlike the golf tee style). I figure having a larger number of portable containers would be useful. I have a couple of 15 gallon U-line barrels I haven't filled up yet. I figure I'll fill them in an advanced warning situation, or when I figure out where to put them. At some point I'll get some Sceptres for the jeep. I figure on cycling them every year or so, use them to water plants or wash the car.

The next stage is to get a drip bucket water filter like a Big Berkly so I can double make sure I don't die from tainted water. Easier to let it do its thing overnight than pumping a little filter.

The big eye opener was a couple of years ago when a sewer problem led to the discovery of a water heater problem and all of a sudden I had to shut off house water. For two days (turns out appliance stores aren't open on Xmas day for some reason). It turns out you use a lot of water for non drinking purposes, like cooking or cleaning your hands every time you do anything. You really take it for granted. Eventually I'm gonna get some rain barrels but for now I have some plastic sheeting I'll use to make any container (like a wheel barrel) into a mostly-clean good for-washing water supply, and save my drinking water-for drinking.

That being said, in my youth I drank a lot of pond water. I think building up immunity kept me from getting sick like most of my buddies did on deployment, and hopefully will help me if a water situation goes on for longer than expected.

Posts: 314 | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post