SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    F-150 Brake Noise
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

F-150 Brake Noise Login/Join 
posted
OK, so I carry my guns in my F-150, which makes this question gun related. Recently my 2014 Eco Boost powered pickup started making a new sound when braking to a stop. I only have 30,000 miles on it, but its out of warranty. The sound is a low moan or hum sound as the power train slows and the truck shifts into 1st. I googled it, but got no hits. Any one on the forum have any ideas? I have noticed a deep screech in my brakes when backing out of the garage the first time in the morning, but it has been really snowy recently and I guessed that was because the rotors get rusty over night. Any suggestions, to avoid the the stealership for service?

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Is the low moan an engine or brake noise.

I would check the brakes. Can you see the rotors through the rims? Are they smooth? Feel them if you can(when they are cold) any ridges or scratches.

Front brakes usually wear faster then rear.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Are you downshifting as you slow or letting the engine shift automatically?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It is certainly not unheard of to wear out at least the front brakes in 30,000 miles, depending on driver habits and usage. The outsides of them, at least, are usually fairly visible through the wheels. The insides of the rotors are going to have a stone shield behind them, so that is a little more complicated. Images of worn out brakes and rotors (Some of them are pretty extreme.) Check that first. There is little else people hundreds of miles away can do without being able to see or hear anything.

Posts: 27926 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The "screech" is normal for discs that get wet or damp and sit a very short while.

With the Florida humidity and temp drops in the spring and fall, I get this. Also notice a very light rust, and the brakes are "grabby" and screech the first time I apply brakes, then they are fine.

If you can, take the truck where you can get it to the speed above the "moan" and then put it in neutral and let it coast down and see if it does this.

The do the same thing, but use the emergency brake to slow and see if you have the noise.

The noise can be several things.

Disc/pad causing harmonic vibration.

Wheel bearing.

Or drive train, or the turbo, etc.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I worked on a 150 4x4 this weekend that was doing the same thing.

The caliper pistons were cracked.

Had to replace both calipers.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take the guns out and see if the noise goes away..

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
If it is clearly a front problem it might be that a hub is not unlocking, and not a brake at all. Does the 4X4 seem to be working correctly and does the noise change when it is engaged?

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5147 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'm on it for diagnostics this morning. Well, except for taking the guns out.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Bump, to see if you found out anything yet.

Posts: 27926 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I have a 2014 F-150 Ecoboost and the brakes make a ton of noise. They must have terrible pads from the factory.

I'm going to have to get them changed because it is so annoying.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I need to slow down w/ the skimming of thread titles. I concluded the the SF group buy of the F-104 was already having problems.

Posts: 7348 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every Ford I've ever owned had what I would consider cheap, shoddy brakes.

We had an '04 F-150, an '07 Explorer and then an '07 Mecury Monterrey minivan. All my wifes vehicles and not driven hard.

All needed new pads at 20-25K rotors turned at that time. All done at the dealership. Rotors were good to be turned once. Thin, cheap and designed to get you to 36k.

I have also had 3-3/4 ton vehicles an '02 '04 (never had break work)and an '06 (that has over 60K towing an 11k pound 5th wheel) from one of the other of the big 3 that all went over 200K before needing any attention to the brakes. Still own the '04 and '06 So I know that they don't have to be that way.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by topherh:
Every Ford I've ever owned had what I would consider cheap, shoddy brakes.

We had an '04 F-150, an '07 Explorer and then an '07 Mecury Monterrey minivan. All my wifes vehicles and not driven hard.

All needed new pads at 20-25K rotors turned at that time. All done at the dealership. Rotors were good to be turned once. Thin, cheap and designed to get you to 36k.

I have also had 3-3/4 ton vehicles an '02 '04 (never had break work)and an '06 (that has over 60K towing an 11k pound 5th wheel) from one of the other of the big 3 that all went over 200K before needing any attention to the brakes. Still own the '04 and '06 So I know that they don't have to be that way.

My buddy had the first 04 F-150 that hit Baton Rouge. He kept taking it back to the dealer for brake problems. He finally got in touch with the right people and Ford bought the truck back. And he had about 25,000 on it.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
2013 F150 Supercrew/5.0
Front left brake sheds dirty shit all over rim and squeals when driving slowly.
Have had no problems stopping, which is kinda important
I'll be following to see where this goes?

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1302 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
2013 F150 Supercrew/5.0
Front left brake sheds dirty shit all over rim and squeals when driving slowly.
Have had no problems stopping, which is kinda important
I'll be following to see where this goes?

Pull the caliper and make sure that a piston or pin is not bound up with dirt and causing the pad to drag on one side.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post