SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Footage released of shootout between an armed robber and the bank’s security guard
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Footage released of shootout between an armed robber and the bank’s security guard Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
Awesome job by the guard. Zero to gunfight in minimum time indicate well trained & mentally prepared.

Welcome to police work. Zero to light speed in a second.

That's not a phenomenon unique to just police work.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
Awesome job by the guard. Zero to gunfight in minimum time indicate well trained & mentally prepared.

Welcome to police work. Zero to light speed in a second.

That's not a phenomenon unique to just police work.

True, but in police work, the "light speed" is normally more intense.

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19565 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
But would the same apply to a civilian shooter?

The statute I was referring to applies only to peace officers. This is what Colorado law says about using deadly force in a “citizen’s arrest”:

“A private person acting on his own account is justified in using reasonable and appropriate physical force upon another person when and to the extent that he reasonably believes it necessary to effect an arrest, or to prevent the escape from custody of an arrested person who has committed an offense in his presence; but he is justified in using deadly physical force for the purpose only when he reasonably believes it necessary to defend himself or a third person from what he reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of deadly physical force.” [Emphasis added.]

Would that apply under the circumstances of this incident? I personally wouldn’t want to have to convince a judge or jury of that, but it might work, especially if he could reasonably claim that he didn’t know the robber was unarmed. There was a case in Colorado several years ago in which the defendant shot and killed someone at the edge of his property driving away in a car. He claimed the “defense of one’s residence” statute justified his actions and much to my surprise the jury bought it. I myself, however, would never rely on something like that.

Once upon a time, when the world was young and so was I, I took a class from an old county sheriff who said that in any fight, stopping when you need to is the hardest part.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread made me wonder: what happens to the legal record of a person killed during a crime? Does it get officially reflected/captured in his record somehow? I presume if he had life insurance it does not get paid out (right)?

Obviously, he cannot stand trial for armed bank robbery and that would be a supreme waste of money. But they pulled the mask off and he's dead with eye witnesses and video footage (as we've all seen).

Anyhow, anyone who know please chime in.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I presume if he had life insurance it does not get paid out (right)?

Very interesting question to ask. I wonder if suicide by cop is profitable for the heirs? I wonder if the double indemnity policy would pay out. Life insurance experts please.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
I presume if he had life insurance it does not get paid out (right)?

I’m not a life insurance expert, but based on my knowledge of policies, I believe there would have to be a specific exclusion for there to be no payment. It’s common, for example, for policies to contain exclusions for suicide (sometimes time-limited to two years after issuance of the policy, for example).

The legal record would normally be a death certificate issued by a coroner or a similar official. In this case it would show the cause of death to be gunshot(s), and the manner of death to be homicide. As for convicting him of a crime, dead people cannot defend themselves and therefore if for no other reason he would not be charged and tried.

Although I’ve been out of touch with this sort of thing for many years, “suicide by cop” is just a saying and I doubt it has any legal significance or relevance to determining the manner of death. If I point an unloaded or fake gun at an LEO and he shoots and kills me, it’s still a homicide. And unless we’re going to torture another expression into a new meaning, this wasn’t a suicide by cop either. That expression properly refers to an action by someone who deliberately provokes the police into killing him. Based on the video, that hardly seems to have been this guy’s intent.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...ank-robber-dead.html

The incident occurred on January 20, and the hero security guard had been sweating over whether or not charges would be brought against him.

An autopsy showed Turner had opiates, THC and cannabis in his system,

He held up Mincemoyer Jewelers on November 23 to steal a laptop,
Harvard State Bank five days later when cash was taken and
Members Alliance Credit Union on December 16 when he took money again by brandishing a gun.

Turner was shot in his chest and his buttocks.

Posts: 19565 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I have that nightmare as being the security guard and my damn pistol slide just refuses to work in whatever scenario I am in.
Eventually it just falls off my frame!

That dream sucks.
Gosh I hate that dream!

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
I have that nightmare as being the security guard and my damn pistol slide just refuses to work in whatever scenario I am in.
Eventually it just falls off my frame!

That dream sucks.
Gosh I hate that dream!

The best way to deal with those kind of dreams is to get out and train more. That's your subconscious letting you know that you don't have full confidence in your firearm and/or your shooting abilities.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post