SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Footage released of shootout between an armed robber and the bank’s security guard
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Footage released of shootout between an armed robber and the bank’s security guard Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
One less dumbass criminal. I actually thought his "combat roll" was a decent effort to get away given that was his choice. If he made it behind the big round console he stood a chance. Thanks for saving us the trial expense.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
One less dumbass criminal. I actually thought his "combat roll" was a decent effort to get away given that was his choice. If he made it behind the big round console he stood a chance. Thanks for saving us the trial expense.

I believe he was already fatally hit at that point. One article I read had mentioned that he was shot in the chest or abdomen and in the "buttocks." The round he took as he was fleeing I'm guessing accounts for the round in the rear, but likely he was already a dead man walking.

But actually, yeah, the roll really wasn't that bad.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Wow. I watched the video before I read the article. My first thought was "that guard has some experience" not necessarily because of the shootout but the way he went up to the robber after to secure him. I'd say him being behind the half door was good for him it gave a little Cover concealment when everything started. Also like how his "tap, rack, bang" looked second nature; he didn't seem to take his eyes of the threat, cleared the weapon, and came back up firing with two hands on target. The dipshit crumbling half way out the door was the icing on the cake. Smile

I don't think that 1/2 door will stop a bullet.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
The second angle posted shows a round coming out his kidney area when he is kneeling right before the roll - would have passed through his chest to get there. Even with such a critical shot, the threat isn't eliminated immediately - shoot to stop & keep shooting until threat eliminated. Outstanding work by the guard.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Good job on the part of the Security Guard, IMO.

The perp.........................,well we file this under occupational hazards of his profession. AMF!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Does anyone know the caliber pistol the security guard used?
I don't know what that one was, but here in this jurisdiction, armed security guards ("G License" in Florida) may use .38 SPL revolvers or 9 mm pistols.

A guy who works with me on weekends -- actually, he's a member of this forum -- is a security guard for his day job. He initially had a 'D' license, which is unarmed security guard, but he subsequently qualified for a 'G' license, armed security guard. The only choices are 9 mm or .38 SPL.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
I don't know what that one was, but here in this jurisdiction, armed security guards ("G License" in Florida) may use .38 SPL revolvers or 9 mm pistols.

A guy who works with me on weekends -- actually, he's a member of this forum -- is a security guard for his day job. He initially had a 'D' license, which is unarmed security guard, but he subsequently qualified for a 'G' license, armed security guard. The only choices are 9 mm or .38 SPL.

Really? I can't make sense of that.

What silliness...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
He left a little bit of vest insulation behind.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
What silliness...

“It is known to the legislators of the state of Florida that security guards are generally poor shots and that the 9mm and 38 Special cartridges pose little danger to innocent bystanders.”

Roll Eyes

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Really? I can't make sense of that.

What silliness...
It probably makes about as much sense as many other things that are bound by governmental rules and regulations.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mke229:
It was nice of him to collapse and bleed out outside.

Much easier to clean tile than carpet.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Neither looked interested in helping the guard.

Here’s an important little safety tip: If a professional has just been in a gunfight with a bad guy, don’t go running up to “help” him. In this case the guard seemed pretty squared away, and even checked the area to ensure there were no other threats and to break any tunnel vision, but many officers would be very tense and jumpy after an incident like this and would not appreciate being approached from the rear. Call to report the incident and watch from a distance but don’t “help” unless it’s obviously needed or requested.

Need to bold that statement, underline it, and put it in large letters.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maddy345:
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Wow. I watched the video before I read the article. My first thought was "that guard has some experience" not necessarily because of the shootout but the way he went up to the robber after to secure him. I'd say him being behind the half door was good for him it gave a little Cover concealment when everything started. Also like how his "tap, rack, bang" looked second nature; he didn't seem to take his eyes of the threat, cleared the weapon, and came back up firing with two hands on target. The dipshit crumbling half way out the door was the icing on the cake. Smile

I don't think that 1/2 door will stop a bullet.

Unless it was bullet resistant/proof.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unless it was bullet resistant/proof.

Likely one of the reasons the tellers immediately jumped below their windows. It is not uncommon for the banks around here to build their teller lines with bullet resistant fiberglass panels.

Doubt the little swinging door was armored, but I have seen some of the larger man doors that were.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
What silliness...

“It is known to the legislators of the state of Florida that security guards are generally poor shots and that the 9mm and 38 Special cartridges pose little danger to innocent bystanders.”

Roll Eyes

What??? Is that seriously the reasoning? Don't Florida police use 9mm?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can anyone tell if the robber took a round before he fell against the counter after walking in? He look like he hit pretty hard. Not sure if took a round or was shitting himself that someone else had a gun.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's really eye opening to me was how FAST that whole scenario played out, from beginning to end. The "good guy with a gun" had near instantaneous reaction. I understand needing to train, practice drawing, rapid fire hits, malfunction drills, etc. How do you train mentally to react that fast?? You've got to observe (visually or auditory) what's happening, process it, and then react. And that guard seems to have done that subconsciously fast.

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Can anyone tell if the robber took a round before he fell against the counter after walking in? He look like he hit pretty hard. Not sure if took a round or was shitting himself that someone else had a gun.

I see flying debris probably from the first shots, but it's hard to tell if he's hit that early.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Here's the full obituary:

"Laurence “Larry” R. Turner, 34, of Rockford passed away Friday, January 20, 2017. Born July 31, 1982 in Rockford to Lawrence and Lucille (Terrazino) Turner. He enjoyed music, DJ-ing, recording music, sports, watching movies, especially science fiction movies, collecting shoes, and he loved animals. Larry will be most remembered for his big heart, and he would do anything for anyone.

Survivors include mother, Lucille Turner of Rockford; sister, Lauren Turner of Detroit, MI; grandmother, Sarah Terrazino of Rockford; aunts, Michela Terrazino of Mt. Horeb, WI, Renee (Tom) Becker of Lansing; girlfriend, Jackie Lenderman; godson, Michael; and several cousins. Predeceased by father, Lawrence Turner; grandparents, Dick and Virginia Turner, grandfather, Frank Terrazino; and uncle, Joseph Terrazino.

Funeral service will be held 2:00 p.m. Thursday, January 26, 2017 in Honquest Family Funeral Home with Crematory–Mulford Chapel, 4311 N. Mulford Road, Loves Park with a visitation from 12:00 p.m. until time of service. Burial in St. Patrick Countryside Cemetery, McHenry."

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
What's missing is....

"Larry passed away as a result of his phukktardedness when he thought he'd commit an armed robbery felony. He died of lead poisoning at the hands of one AWESOME M-effing Security Officer protecting his post and bank personnel. Sure wish Larry would have chosen to turn his life around"

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post