SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Footage released of shootout between an armed robber and the bank’s security guard
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Footage released of shootout between an armed robber and the bank’s security guard Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted
Very well done by the security guard. Very quick and decisive actions on his part. It looks like he has to clear a malfunction as the robber is fleeing before taking the final shot. Probably due to limp wristing his shots around the blind corner with his strong arm. All very nice and calm though clearing the jam.

(I hope this isn't jib jab. I searched back a few days since this story is at least one or two days old.)

Shooting starts around 0:40.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/bFxG6JPsiys

Video shows security officer fatally shooting bank robber
March 15, 2017 11:38 AM

ROCKFORD, Ill. (CBSDFW) – Newly released footage captured an intense shootout between an armed robber and the bank’s security guard.

The video shows the suspect walking into the Alpine Bank in Rockford, Illinois, and firing his weapon into the ceiling. Tellers of the bank are seen ducking under their desks, while a security guard pulls out his weapon.

A gun battle ensues and the suspect rolls on the ground in an attempt to get away. The guard fires one more time and the suspect collapses before he can reach the front entrance of the bank.

According to WIFR, the suspect, 34-year-old Laurence Turner, was pronounced dead at the scene.

It was learned Tuesday that the security guard, Brian Harrison, will not face any charges.

Harrison is a former Winnebago County Deputy.

“There is no doubt in my mind the actions of Brian Harrison saved the lives of those that were employees in the Alpine Bank location on that date and saved his own life,” Winnebago County State’s Attorney Joe Bruscato, said.

“They are taught generally to shoot center mass in the body. This is a very dynamic, fluid situation and he’s doing what he was trained for 30 years to do and it was eliminate and take care of the threat,” Rockford Police Chief Dan O’Shea said.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/0...ooting-armed-robber/

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I agree with the limp wrist analysis. He did a great job of clearing the gun though.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Woo hoo! Other Youtube videos show other camera angles. Bad guy drops his weapon after engaging the guard.

Seeing stuff like this makes me realize there's not much of a perfect shot or stance with split second decisions.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Play stupid games...

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... life's little choices.

Electing to be on the other side of the waist high swing door, to chat to the staff ... prior to the engagement.

Just wow.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:

Electing to be on the other side of the waist high swing door, to chat to the staff ... prior to the engagement.

Just wow.

And how quickly life can change from chatting with friends/acquaintances to life and death in a literal instance.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:

Just wow.

And how quickly life can change from chatting with friends/acquaintances to life and death in a literal instance.

Yeah, talk about going from zero to 100 mph...

And I have to believe that his choice to chat with the bank employees from the other side of the swinging door was deliberate so that his back wasn't to the entrance. Every second I'm sure counted in that instance, and having to turn around to engage the robber may have made for a very different outcome.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I was pretty impressed by all the bank tellers’ actions as well. Many people would have just stood there thinking to themselves, “Is this really happening?” but they did the right thing almost instantly as the BG came through the door.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Give him a medal

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Those two teller boys dropped a load in their pants,the guard is a cool dude.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting on the part of the guard.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
That guy had it together, sierra hotel as they say. He secures the guy while checking around, and you see him react by drawing his weapon again in case the dead guy had friends. One more small step to a better world.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Nicely done. No trial and incarceration costs, and no recidivism.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Those two teller boys dropped a load in their pants,the guard is a cool dude.

The one teller didn't seem to have any intention of leaving his little cubby hole there anytime soon.

But yeah, getting completely down and totally out of the way and unseen probably went a long way in not distracting the guard while he was doing his thing.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I've a few times posted the Youtube of a Chicago LEO who survived 15 shootouts, so I won't link it again, but he says that in every one he fired one handed and did not use his sights. So, at the range I make sure to do at least a couple of mags one handed and point and shoot. Of course it's much easier to limp wrist and get a stovepipe firing one hand. But if you practice, it's really not hard to counteract that tendency.

Nice to see the good work from this guard.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That torso shot exited.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What an outstanding job! It seems he's been on that walk before.

Posts: 848 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
Definitely NOT a security MONITOR.

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
It's hilarious how optimistically that dude ran in there.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
It's hilarious how optimistically that dude ran in there.

And woke everyone up with a (wasted) shot to the ceiling.

Mr Turner's "tactical roll" was just as optimistic.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post